• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chris Webber joining Wake faculty

Webber, like most other professors of practice across the university, will not be a member of the graduate faculty. He will team-teach a course in an area that Documentary Film has identified as a promising one for growth/expansion. He does not have a contract beyond an initial appointment to teach a course next fall. Webber is essentially volunteering his time to help us enlist notable speakers for the course. He also is arranging significant internship opportunities for our students.

Just code for: "He's only here for one year so he can spend significant quality time with prized basketball recruits whose rapid development is crucial for their next significant learning opportunity at a higher level of expertise, ahem, NBA!!"

Come on down Mr. Giles, your coaching / tutoring / mentoring staff is in place and awaits your arrival! ;)

Last edited:
Webber’s appointment also advances a goal that I have long articulated and that I know we all share: increasing the diversity of our graduate student body. Our enrollment of new underrepresented minority graduate students has increased five-fold since 2007, but we still have considerable room to improve.

Hopefully, just code for: "We need a major for fifth year athletic transfers."

Otherwise it sounds like: "Minorities aren't interested in things other than sports."

Webber's been going around the country on sports talk shows and mentioning Wake Forest.

Do I have a link for you? Nope, just something I heard on sports talk radio.

A statement of clarification was released last night to the graduate faculty:

If Jones is paid by the word, he is making a fortune. Seriously, you can't make this stuff up. A misfire/misrepresentation like his initial announcement would justify a firing in most professions. Clearly he was attempting to boast about something that was rather insignificant - possibly embarrassing . In fact Webber was a partial volunteer and was hired on a temporary basis to team-teach a course that was only a small part of a larger established program. And, oh, by the way, would be great for athletic minority grad students, especially transfers. No matter how explained, it reeks.

Last edited:
No kidding. The Dean's letter and prior press release is more embarrassing than Webber's appointment IMO.

Nothing worse than an ACC fanbase who makes all of these apologies for academic-athletic irregularities at their school...

Back