• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chris Webber joining Wake faculty

Sounds like that interview got awkward at the end. Some nice plugs for wake forest though.

Doesn't he have to graduate in order to teach at Wake Forest? or #NoSAT?

Doesn't he have to graduate in order to teach at Wake Forest? or #NoSAT?

WFU announced Monday it plans to start a new Master of Arts in Sports Storytelling in the fall of 2016, and that the university has hired Webber as a professor of practice for the two-year program.

A professor of practice is a nontenure track teacher hired because of the skills and expertise he or she has acquired in a non-academic career, according to American Association of University Professors. A high school graduate of Detroit Country Day School, Webber attended the University of Michigan for two years.

WTF is Sports Storytelling?

A way for WFU to attract big time recruits in our two platform sports. UNC laid out the Road map on what NOT to do, so not too worried about anything shady with it. What big time athlete wouldn't wanna be taught a class by C-Webb? Amirite?

How many times do you think Webber will be on campus a semester? Two? Three?

How much is he making?

Yep. Based on the amount I've heard he is making, I know for a fact some trustees are not happy about this gimmick.

They also supported [Redacted] and still buy Ronnie's bs. They just like to sit around and jerk each other off. Amazing how successful people in their careers can support this shit show. do they not get enough atta boys in their real lives?

They also supported [name redacted] and still buy Ronnie's bs. They just like to sit around and jerk each other off. Amazing how successful people in their careers can support this shit show. do they not get enough atta boys in their real lives?

You do realize that the board of trustees is not responsible for the hiring/firing of every member of the faculty. Hence the reason they don't agree with the hire. Trust me. There are trustees that feel the wAy u do

A statement of clarification was released last night to the graduate faculty:

Dear Graduate Faculty,

Please allow me to clear up two points of miscommunication and confusion in the press release last week. I want to make it clear that the Documentary Film program is not creating a new graduate program, but allowing for opportunities in Sports Storytelling in the existing MA. I also want to clarify my decision to appoint Chris Webber in a limited, but important, role to participate in the Documentary Film program.

First of all, the press release says we are launching a new program. What we called a new program in sports storytelling is a set of opportunities within the existing and graduate faculty approved MA in documentary film, a program that has not been advertised (under any name) in a while. Only the exciting opportunities in sports storytelling are new. Internship opportunities will now include sports story-related summer posts. Creative thesis film projects may now include stories that explore (and, as appropriate, expose) the backstories underlying the glamour of athletics. Otherwise the curriculum is exactly the same, using courses that are on our books. Brand new programs with brand new curricula first must be submitted and approved at the Graduate Council level, and then approved by the graduate faculty. For this initiative, we did not intend to create a new, separate program. I should not have called this a new program with a new title. For this I am sincerely sorry.

Secondly, Chris Webber has been appointed as Professor of Practice. This is the title Wake Forest, like many of our peer schools, uses for those who teach courses in their area of professional expertise, but teach on a limited schedule and/or do not have the academic credentials to be appointed as tenure track faculty members. Webber, like most other professors of practice across the university, will not be a member of the graduate faculty. He will team-teach a course in an area that Documentary Film has identified as a promising one for growth/expansion. He does not have a contract beyond an initial appointment to teach a course next fall. Webber is essentially volunteering his time to help us enlist notable speakers for the course. He also is arranging significant internship opportunities for our students. Last week Professor Emeritus Harry Edwards from UC-Berkeley whole-heartedly endorsed that course, saying that “the establishment of a course such as this, one that explores the role, dynamics, and impact of sport in our diverse democratic society would appear then, under the circumstances, to be not just another student curricula option, but an imperative to a thoroughly informed and complete collegiate educational experience.” Professor Edwards is expected to be among our first speakers in this extended exploration of the long-prevailing problems at the interface between sports and society.

Along with enhancing our programmatic offerings and, we forecast, improving the visibility and reach of our Documentary Film Program, Webber’s appointment also advances a goal that I have long articulated and that I know we all share: increasing the diversity of our graduate student body. Our enrollment of new underrepresented minority graduate students has increased five-fold since 2007, but we still have considerable room to improve. All of our market research suggests that this endeavor will move us ahead by a leap.

I greatly appreciate your patience with me and our Documentary Film colleagues as we explore the intricacies at the interface between academia and public visibility.

Bradley T. Jones
Dean of the Graduate School

So a graduate program supposedly focused on communications really messed up a press release? Sounds like the faculty was butthurt

Back