• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chubby broads in white sneakers walking around an office building lower lobby @ lunch

I like the look of chubby young moms who try their best to stay active during their busy lives. Its much more attractive than some anorexic chick with square man-hips and no boobs (or fake boobs). Theres a thin line between chubby and fat, but chubby is alluring while fat is disgusting.

your only options are chubby, fat, or anorexic?

For some, but not the majority of people who think that it does

well then by all means, let's all berate them for their actions until they get self-conscious stop trying.

For some, but not the majority of people who think that it does

first of all, how can you look through the window at these women and tell which of them are really exercising and which should be doing something more? my guess is, you can't. so give them the benefit of the doubt.

and second of all, it is still better than sitting on their ass. whether or not people have weight problems, studies have repeatedly shown that sitting for long periods of time is as bad for you as smoking a pack a day. at least they're on their feet for that lunch hour.

I think the sentiment is, "if you're going to exercise, then exercise" causal strolls do not constitute exercise

Casual strolls absolutely constitute exercise. Depending on the person's size and the duration of the walk, they could burn in the neighborhood of 200 calories. This is worse than sitting at the desk how?

first of all, how can you look through the window at these women and tell which of them are really exercising and which should be doing something more? my guess is, you can't. so give them the benefit of the doubt.

and second of all, it is still better than sitting on their ass. whether or not people have weight problems, studies have repeatedly shown that sitting for long periods of time is as bad for you as smoking a pack a day. at least they're on their feet for that lunch hour.

well, for my part, i'm really thinking about people in the gym and equating it to what these guys are talking about. The people at the gym who sit on the stationary bike on low resistance for 15 minutes and don't even break a sweat, then walk on the treadmill at 1.9 mph or the elliptical and are barely exerting themselves
Honestly, it's kind of frustrating to watch...obviously, it's none of my business and i'd never say anything (nor does it really bother me that much, but this is the internet, where everything is a big deal)
I guess it's better than nothing, but it's still deluding yourself into thinking that you're doing good. In a way, (although obviously not completely analogous) it's like smoking light/filtered cigarettes vs unfiltered cigarettes....yeah, it's better, but don't kid yourself.

Reactions: DG3
Casual strolls absolutely constitute exercise. Depending on the person's size and the duration of the walk, they could burn in the neighborhood of 200 calories. This is worse than sitting at the desk how?

It's not worse, but (and I'm generalizing) too many of people who do this think that this is their exercise for the day.
My office hires women by the pound, they are perfectly pleasant, but they are all (well, most of them anyway) overweight. To hear them speak of going up and down the stairs a few times as "their exercise for the day" is depressing

well, for my part, i'm really thinking about people in the gym and equating it to what these guys are talking about. The people at the gym who sit on the stationary bike on low resistance for 15 minutes and don't even break a sweat, then walk on the treadmill at 1.9 mph or the elliptical and are barely exerting themselves
Honestly, it's kind of frustrating to watch...obviously, it's none of my business and i'd never say anything (nor does it really bother me that much, but this is the internet, where everything is a big deal)
I guess it's better than nothing, but it's still deluding yourself into thinking that you're doing good. In a way, (although obviously not completely analogous) it's like smoking light/filtered cigarettes vs unfiltered cigarettes....yeah, it's better, but don't kid yourself.

i mean, if you want to start the "you should be doing more" game, then i don't really know anybody who shouldn't be doing more. i run 6 days/week. but the last time i gave blood, my resting heart rate was too low, and they told me that the only way they could still let me give blood is if i exercised EVERY DAY. six days still isn't good enough. so apparently i need to be doing more too.

everybody can do more. there is always somebody going harder or faster. but you also have to realize that all the people who go harder and faster are people who at one point were slow and couldn't go more than a mile. maybe those people are just starting an exercise regimen, and that's as good as it's going to get right now. it's a necessary first step.

Yeah, this really annoys me at the gym. They are using equipment that other people need and are wasting time just so they can convince themselves that they are exercising and can tell other people that they are...

ETA: There are a lot of fat redneck chicks that come to my gym and do this. I KNOW it doesn't apply to everyone. You have to start somewhere.

When I worked at the Y, we had a guy who had dropped like 200 pounds by walking on the treadmill and changing his diet. He was morbidly obese and nearly died from a heart attack. I never begrudge people for making any effort to add regular exercise to their lifestyle.

You do have to start somewhere, but the thing that kills me is when they're out walking in the parking lot, then they come in and take the elevator up one floor to their desk.

fat people rights will be the next social cause for the protestors.

that seems ridiculous now, but just wait. it's already starting.

occupy mcdonald's. it's coming. supersized.

hoops, the blood thingdoes not compute. a low resting heart is muy bueno and a sign you are in good shape. exercising more would only potentially lower it even more, no?

hoops, the blood thingdoes not compute. a low resting heart is muy bueno and a sign you are in good shape. exercising more would only potentially lower it even more, no?

a low resting heart rate tells them that you're a high risk for passing out when they take your blood. so they'll only let you give if the reason that you have such a low resting heart rate is that you're in really good shape. apparently working out 6 days/week doesn't tell them that you're in really good shape.

a low resting heart rate tells them that you're a high risk for passing out when they take your blood. so they'll only let you give if the reason that you have such a low resting heart rate is that you're in really good shape. apparently working out 6 days/week doesn't tell them that you're in really good shape.

That doesn't sound like legitimate medical advice.

That doesn't sound like legitimate medical advice.

:noidea: all i know is that they made me sit there and attempt to get my heart rate up for a few minutes. but they wouldn't let me go run laps around the building.

:noidea: all i know is that they made me sit there and attempt to get my heart rate up for a few minutes. but they wouldn't let me go run laps around the building.

Low blood pressure is prob a better indicator of passing out than low heart rate...

Back