• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cincinnati-Xavier brawl!

Ask John Chaney what he thinks about Wake's ballers, especially under Odom. He openly called our foreign players thugs, referring to Vid and Songailla. But I think it was more a product of we played tough slow down defense under Odom.

To me, there is a big difference between good hard play and dirty play. Odom played that Holland/Jeff Jones kind of slow ball where you get back on D and put a body on anyone who comes in the lane. I have zero problem and in fact like teams who play physical basketball. I'd much rather be known for being physical than soft - basketball is a contact sport. Vidauretta, Songaila and Shoemaker were all physical but played that style in the context of the game. As for John Chaney, he may have been engaging in the same stuff Pete Gillen was - talk about our guys before the game to try to influence the refs. That shite happens all the time. And as I recall, Chaney's Temple teams played pretty tough match-up zone D. His whining about physical play would be the equivalent of Bobby Huggins complaining about the same.

When I think of dirty players, I think of Chas, Hakhtar Ndjaye (sp?), Wojo, Dirtay Jones, Meagher, Veal, Fothergill, Sheehey... - players who frequently used elbows, fists and the like to antagonize opponents.

The behavior from the Xavier/Cincy game went way beyond what should be tolerated in college hoops. You simply can't have fist fights, stomping on players and pressers afterwards where the players openly spoke of being gangstas. Had this stuff happened in a pro game, David Stern would have suspended them for more than they got suspended.

Josh Howard did have that awesome move when he was falling out of bounds where he would throw a Nolan Ryan-esque fastball with the basketball at the closest opposing player's head. That was always entertaining.

Josh Howard did have that awesome move when he was falling out of bounds where he would throw a Nolan Ryan-esque fastball with the basketball at the closest opposing player's head. That was always entertaining.

They teach that move in basketball camp. Not throwing at hard as Josh would throw it, but you are taught to throw the ball high (head) so that the opposing player will most likely not have a chance to catch the ball (because most ppl flinch when something is hurled at their head).

They teach that move in basketball camp. Not throwing at hard as Josh would throw it, but you are taught to throw the ball high (head) so that the opposing player will most likely not have a chance to catch the ball (because most ppl flinch when something is hurled at their head).

Trent and Ari, too.

I love that, though, no matter who does it...

I agree that we played tough D under Odom, not dirty and that Chaney was full of shit and just bitter after we beat him. I was just adding to the list of people who have insinuated or straight out said we were dirty.

I've heard that we were dirty over the years...but we've never been any "dirtier" than any other team in the ACC. It's really just the fact that no one expects LOWF to play aggressive.

Wake has had a bit of a thuggy reputation at times...
But its not like yall were anywhere near as bad as GT under Hewitt. or Clemson under Purnell.

I dreaded those games cause I knew they were just playing to beat the shit out of our guys, and maybe win. I never felt like that about Wake.

Songalia got the reputation and then he couldn't help himself. Much more of just a grinder than dirty. But once the whistles started they never stopped. Esp against the walmart teams. His special lady friend on the other hand, she was a dirty playa.

Wake has had a bit of a thuggy reputation at times...
But its not like yall were anywhere near as bad as GT under Hewitt. or Clemson under Purnell.

I dreaded those games cause I knew they were just playing to beat the shit out of our guys, and maybe win. I never felt like that about Wake.

DemonDKE batsignal.

Fucking Rodney Rogers might have had the best game I've ever seen out of a Wake player against Temple, something like 14-16 from the field against McKie and Eddie Jones. Too strong. Definitely top 5.

Durham Bull in the hizzouse!

Fucking Rodney Rogers might have had the best game I've ever seen out of a Wake player against Temple, something like 14-16 from the field against McKie and Eddie Jones. Too strong. Definitely top 5.

Durham Bull in the hizzouse!

OHH DUDE!!! I loved that game, i can remember now watching it at my mom and dads house. I wonder if drew has that one on dvd? We destroyed them that day.

CP was a chippy (bordering on dirty) player at wake, and he's the same way in the nba.

it's ok because he's one of ours, but it's a fact.

Back