• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cincinnati-Xavier brawl!

Back on topic ... I was extremely impressed with the Cincinnati coach's response in the post-game interview. If the X players gave a clinic on how not to respond, he demonstrated a very impressive way to handle a very bad situation.

Back on topic ... I was extremely impressed with the Cincinnati coach's response in the post-game interview. If the X players gave a clinic on how not to respond, he demonstrated a very impressive way to handle a very bad situation.

I was impressed with Cronin as well, unfortunately I don't feel the same way after he talked the talk, but clearly did not walk the walk by only suspending those guys for 6 games.

Yes it is 20% of the year, but what they did was absolutely inexcusable. I think 10 games should have been the minimum punishment.

...and has anyone ever heard the real reason Kelsey left basketball? I know he said he left because of family. etc, but I'm not sure I'm buying that.

And thanks for filling me in on the Kelsey/LD deal.

Skip's teams weren't exactly known as being disciplined. We were regularly called a thug team. Vytas and Trent would constantly get in scuffles and commit very rough fouls.

Remember that Chris Paul fellow? I heard he punched a dude in the balls once.

Funny dirty-CP3 story: I was at the Garden watching Knicks-Hornets and Al Harrington fell down and tripped up CP. Instead of getting up and running back down the floor, CP pushed himself up on Harrington's head while slapping and hitting Harrington in the head repeatedly for about five seconds.

Somehow, the entire crowd and the Knicks bench was oblivious, but the entire Hornets bench was laughing.

Yeah, we had some dirty kids through the program recently. That being said, when they're on your team, who cares?

:thumbsup:

Remember that Chris Paul fellow? I heard he punched a dude in the balls once.

Funny dirty-CP3 story: I was at the Garden watching Knicks-Hornets and Al Harrington fell down and tripped up CP. Instead of getting up and running back down the floor, CP pushed himself up on Harrington's head while slapping and hitting Harrington in the head repeatedly for about five seconds.

Somehow, the entire crowd and the Knicks bench was oblivious, but the entire Hornets bench was laughing.

Yeah, we had some dirty kids through the program recently. That being said, when they're on your team, who cares?

:thumbsup:

Obviously Ron Wellman. #hefiredDinoandcriedculturechangebutnoonebelieveshim

Wasn't taking sides, but I can imagine that we'd all love JJ if he donned OGB as opposed to puke blue.

Agree.

But from what Ron has said (whether it's true or not), he cared about who was on our team under Dino, whether the alum & fans liked them or not.

I liked Chas. Never met one other opposing team fan that liked him, and I don't think RW was pleased with Chas' behavior on the court.

ETA: I would be a fan of satan if he could help us win a national championship in my lifetime.

...and has anyone ever heard the real reason Kelsey left basketball? I know he said he left because of family. etc, but I'm not sure I'm buying that.

And thanks for filling me in on the Kelsey/LD deal.

I have never heard anything other than family as the reason he walked away. I was surprised, but have no reason to doubt it. A wife with a strong POV has a way of making a man reevaluate things.

I have never heard anything other than family as the reason he walked away. I was surprised, but have no reason to doubt it. A wife with a strong POV has a way of making a man reevaluate things.

Cool. Thanks.

After this brawl, it made me wonder if Kelsey didn't like the way/path/environment he found himself in at X.

My thoughts when I read he was leaving basketball were that he never recovered emotionally from Skip's death...thought maybe it was too hard to coach without him...too many ghosts, memories, etc.

Cool. Thanks.

After this brawl, it made me wonder if Kelsey didn't like the way/path/environment he found himself in at X.

My thoughts when I read he was leaving basketball were that he never recovered emotionally from Skip's death...thought maybe it was too hard to coach without him...too many ghosts, memories, etc.

I don't know anything aside from what has been sad, but this makes the most sense to me.

Kelsey had a pretty weak tweet about the brawl, something to the effect of "when you watch a fight, you just hope the Crosstown Shootout will break out." Not the worst thing ever, just surprising that he would take the opportunity to crack jokes when his buddy Mack was in the thick of it.

Agree.

But from what Ron has said (whether it's true or not), he cared about who was on our team under Dino, whether the alum & fans liked them or not.

I liked Chas. Never met one other opposing team fan that liked him, and I don't think RW was pleased with Chas' behavior on the court.

ETA: I would be a fan of satan if he could help us win a national championship in my lifetime.

:laugh:
(and yes it's true)

Skip's teams weren't exactly known as being disciplined. We were regularly called a thug team. Vytas and Trent would constantly get in scuffles and commit very rough fouls.

I've never heard opposing fans call us a thug team. As for Trent, he wasted his talent and never played enough D to be a thug player - all he did was dunk. Vytas may have committed the occasional hard foul, but it was always in the context of the play. CP3 may have been unnecessarily yappy, but I think his chippy play was in response to how other ACC teams played him way physically. The only Wake player I've considered a thug was Chas. His play was by far the dirtiest I've ever seen from a Wake player, and he looked like he openly disregarded the coaching staff - most embarrassing player we've had. You can criticize Skip for not coaching D, but any folks here alleging he recruited thugs are engaging in revisionist history.

As for the main thread topic, I've lost any respect I had for Chris Mack and am very disappointed. I've always liked Xavier and have been happy for his and other coaches success there. But his letting Hollaway do the presser, his rationalizing (instead of condemning) Hollaway's comments, and his only suspending Hollaway 1 game are indefensible. Hollaway deserved 1 game for his conduct and 5 for his presser. If I'm the Xavier president, Mack would be in my office this a.m., and we'd be reviewing the suspensions, his response and what he'd be doing going forward if he still wanted to be coaching there.

As for Cronin, I loved his presser, but his suspensions did not rise to the level of what he indicated he'd do in his presser.

This was a terrible, terrible event for college basketball, almost as much for what has been said by the participants after the event as for the event itself. I can't remember any event in college hoops that has bothered me this much (and I discount what Georgetown was involved in last year because that was largely instigated by the Chinese). If the university presidents won't review this, I really think the BE and A-10 should.

I was impressed with Cronin as well, unfortunately I don't feel the same way after he talked the talk, but clearly did not walk the walk by only suspending those guys for 6 games.

Yes it is 20% of the year, but what they did was absolutely inexcusable. I think 10 games should have been the minimum punishment.

I agree. And the dude that threw the sucker punch, if he were at Wake, would never wear the uniform again IMO.

I've never heard opposing fans call us a thug team. As for Trent, he wasted his talent and never played enough D to be a thug player - all he did was dunk. Vytas may have committed the occasional hard foul, but it was always in the context of the play. CP3 may have been unnecessarily yappy, but I think his chippy play was in response to how other ACC teams played him way physically. The only Wake player I've considered a thug was Chas. His play was by far the dirtiest I've ever seen from a Wake player, and he looked like he openly disregarded the coaching staff - most embarrassing player we've had. You can criticize Skip for not coaching D, but any folks here alleging he recruited thugs are engaging in revisionist history.

As for the main thread topic, I've lost any respect I had for Chris Mack and am very disappointed. I've always liked Xavier and have been happy for his and other coaches success there. But his letting Hollaway do the presser, his rationalizing (instead of condemning) Hollaway's comments, and his only suspending Hollaway 1 game are indefensible. Hollaway deserved 1 game for his conduct and 5 for his presser. If I'm the Xavier president, Mack would be in my office this a.m., and we'd be reviewing the suspensions, his response and what he'd be doing going forward if he still wanted to be coaching there.

As for Cronin, I loved his presser, but his suspensions did not rise to the level of what he indicated he'd do in his presser.

This was a terrible, terrible event for college basketball, almost as much for what has been said by the participants after the event as for the event itself. I can't remember any event in college hoops that has bothered me this much (and I discount what Georgetown was involved in last year because that was largely instigated by the Chinese). If the university presidents won't review this, I really think the BE and A-10 should.

Not sure how you never heard this. When Skip was our coach we were routinely called thuggish by opposing fans. Duke fans especially went on and on about how we were coached to be dirty.

I heard it plenty while Skip was our coach.

Not sure how you never heard this. When Skip was our coach we were routinely called thuggish by opposing fans. Duke fans especially went on and on about how we were coached to be dirty.

I heard it plenty while Skip was our coach.

:werd: Ever hear of the Mangler?

Back