• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

City, Falcons reach deal to build new stadium in downtown ATL (PANTHEON pics update!)

Meanwhile the city is financing a $4 billion upgrade to its sewer system, which was an infrastructure improvement that the Olympics was supposed to help solve.

The EPA almost shut down permitting in Atlanta until they put a plan in place to fix the issue.

I assume putting in a turf that can handle the moisture for when Matty Ice melts in the postseason was a real concern here?

I think they're trying to Cam proof a new stadium.

The EPA almost shut down permitting in Atlanta until they put a plan in place to fix the issue.

My point exactly. The city raised all this money for the Olympics 17 years ago (which, btw, were a major clusterfuck) and now the toilets don't even flush.

When Fulton County Stadium closed, they sold the old seats and people paid thousands to own a piece of history.

If they tried to sell the old seats from the Georgia Dome, all you'd get is a piece of molded plastic thats almost too narrow for my butt. And the last time I was there, they were an ugly teal color (but I think the Falcons installed red seats in recent years).

I like stay-cations at nice hotels every now and then, so I will probably contribute a bit to the effort with the 8% (or whatever it is) hotel tax, but if none of my other tax dollars are going to be spent on this, I say to Arthur Blank, go for it!

And on top of all that, the GA Dome is fine for NFL football, fine for the SECCG, and fine for Chik-fil-A Bowl. So you're going to build a new retractable dome for what? The possibility of future Super Bowls and future Final Fours. You'd think that the novelty of them has worn off by now and surely you realize that hosting them will never come close to recouping the city's investment, which is really just a fleecing of business travelers to the area.

I think I read a bit ago that the NCAA is looking at returning to actual basketball venues for Final Fours.

And on top of all that, the GA Dome is fine for NFL football, fine for the SECCG, and fine for Chik-fil-A Bowl. So you're going to build a new retractable dome for what? The possibility of future Super Bowls and future Final Fours. You'd think that the novelty of them has worn off by now and surely you realize that hosting them will never come close to recouping the city's investment, which is really just a fleecing of business travelers to the area.

It's fine now but cities like Dallas may bid to get these. Since Texas is SEC country now, I'm sure Jerry Jones will try to get the SEC Championship in Arlington.

I like stay-cations at nice hotels every now and then, so I will probably contribute a bit to the effort with the 8% (or whatever it is) hotel tax, but if none of my other tax dollars are going to be spent on this, I say to Arthur Blank, go for it!

Stay in sandy springs.

Meh, the hotel-motel tax is being paid whether this gets built or not. They would just find some other crap to spend it on - this at least arguably will promote tourism.

So you're saying the investors who ultimately buy the bonds won't get their money back?

BFD, it's one fucking game.

That's one hell of a game

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/20281/sec-championship-game-staying-put

"It's big-time football at its best with one half of the stadium adorned in the East champion's colors and the other half in the West champion's colors. Good luck in finding a ticket, too. The game has sold out in 16 of the 17 championships held in the Georgia Dome, packing nearly 1.2 million people in the Dome to watch past SEC championships. The annual event has generated over $702 million of economic impact to the city of Atlanta since 2000, an average of nearly $64 million per year and approximately $30.7 million in sales taxes over the same time span."

Back