• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

City, Falcons reach deal to build new stadium in downtown ATL (PANTHEON pics update!)

Been a Falcon's season ticket holder for 10 years and have never thought the parking areas didn't have enough space for tailgating. We tailgate in the Gulch on the side near Five Points station. It's real convenient for my friends who take MARTA to games.

However, the city wants to build the multimodal station where the gulch is now so the parking situation will likely change. We'll see though.

You can tailgate at the game now fine but its not "tailgate friendly."

In the plans for the new stadium, they're talking patches of grass, bathrooms, trailer hookups, power, etc. The Falcons want to encourage a "collegiate" atmosphere at the game. Can only help us in the long run.

I just skimmed the case and it appears to be pretty clear that there is no referendum right for anything other than city charters. The fact that the City Charter is apparently in conflict with State law is interesting though. I think the Charter was adopted before that case was decided. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out. My first through was that I don't think they would even be able to get the required number of signatures, so the whole thing could be moot.

Common Cause has a lot of really bright Georgians on their board. Advanced degrees from Harvard and such.

Then they let this UGA clown with a red and black tie run their policy without even doing his homework first? I dont get it. Asleep at the wheel.

The mayor is not afraid to speak his mind. He roasted the Fulton County Govt a few weeks ago.

Saw Rick McKay, President & CEO of the Falcons, speak this morning about the new stadium. Some interesting tidbits from Rich McKay's speech:

1. The opening at the top of the stadium will be larger than it is in the current concept drawings. The idea is to have a weatherized outdoor stadium instead of a retractable roof that is maybe open 2 or 3 times a year (the current average in the country for retractable roofs stadiums).

2. Not only will the roof open, the outside walls will lift up to help create natural airflow. This assumes this can be engineered properly and cost effective.

3. The screen that will go around the roof opening will be 3 times larger than the screen at Dallas' stadium. However, instead of it being right above you in the middle of the stadium, the screen that you will watch will be across the field creating a better viewing angle.

Good Luck Mike Smith With Roll Call Dept.:

The Atlanta Falcons do not have a John or George or David orChris or Daniel or Mark -- six of the 20 most common male names in the UnitedStates, according to the 2000 Census -- on their current 90-man roster.

They do, however, have players with these first names:Malliciah, Kroy, Shann, Kemal, Joplo, Stansly, Micanor, Saeed, Terren, Levine,Jacquizz, Roddy and Peria.

They don't have a Phillip or a Keith, but they have aPhillipkeith.

I haven't followed the football stadium thing. But I was down visiting friends last year and went to a Braves game with them and their kids. I had been to a game like 25 years ago at old Fulton County Stadium, which was a pit. But that stadium was beautiful and had great amenities and views from most every seat. I was telling my friend how much I liked it and he told me they were moving up to Cobb County. I was astonished the City wasn't able to meet the teams demands in terms of area infrastructure improvements or whatever they wanted to keep them there. Such a waste to just leave such a good facility after what, 20 years?

Back