• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clarence Thomas to retire

No reason to freak out. I'm resigned to living in a liberal nation. It is historically inevitable. You fight the fights you can win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

complains about liberal nation. complains about kingdom of saudi arabia

WHAT DO YOU WANT, FICKLE BEAST

I also tend to agree with this. It's the GOP trying to scare up some voters like me. It won't work.

It is fascinating watching GOP establishment pulling every lever and pushing every button in its arsenal to overcome Trump shit show. This has to be the easiest possible presidential election for a Pub to win and they have found every way manageable to blow this thing. You couldn't find or dream up a better candidate to run against than HRC and all her baggage. Yet they come up with someone with even more and now they want to try and pull fug out from under his feet.

Either way they are screwed on many fronts like senate, scotus, and don't forget Obamacare. Cruz is probably getting a good laugh watching this all unfold.

I could see McConnell leaving the Senate altogether if he's not Majority Leader. He's 74 and it's a shitty job. Confirming Garland wouldn't be a win, but far better than allowing Hillary to appoint someone younger and more liberal.

Thomas rumor is a ruse. GOP is watching Trump implode and want to change the narrative. Thomas is a stiff, but 68 is too young to leave and potentially clear the path to a 7-2 Dem majority. 'Pubs would never forgive Thomas (and his nutty Tea Party wife) for retiring with a Dem POTUS in office.

With it becoming 5-4 and likely 6-3 (with Kennedy leaving), Thomas sees the writing on the wall. His wife made millions fighting ACA and RW groups will pay him $100,000/speech for five years or so. His next book will make him millions and especially if he is angry at the left.

Why not live a life of leisure?

I also tend to agree with this. It's the GOP trying to scare up some voters like me. It won't work.

It is fascinating watching GOP establishment pulling every lever and pushing every button in its arsenal to overcome Trump shit show. This has to be the easiest possible presidential election for a Pub to win and they have found every way manageable to blow this thing. You couldn't find or dream up a better candidate to run against than HRC and all her baggage. Yet they come up with someone with even more and now they want to try and pull fug out from under his feet.

Either way they are screwed on many fronts like senate, scotus, and don't forget Obamacare. Cruz is probably getting a good laugh watching this all unfold.

Kasich would have been their best 2016 general election bet, but the GOP base preferred Trump or Cruz. Cruz would have lost badly too, but they wouldn't have taken as big a beating in Congress. House isn't going to flip (need 30 seats), but losing 15 to 20 seats isn't out of the question. If he wants to remain Speaker, Ryan will need Dem votes to retain his position.

Ironically Thomas was close to the beginning of the end: Quayle, Thomas, Miers, Palin, Trump.

Kasich would have been their best 2016 general election bet, but the GOP base preferred Trump or Cruz. Cruz would have lost badly too, but they wouldn't have taken as big a beating in Congress. House isn't going to flip (need 30 seats), but losing 15 to 20 seats isn't out of the question. If he wants to remain Speaker, Ryan will need Dem votes to retain his position.

Ironically Thomas was close to the beginning of the end: Quayle, Thomas, Miers, Palin, Trump.

As many of us have said in the past, the tea party was going to get one shot at the oval office and this is it. The problem is that Trump is blowing up establishment and there may not be much left to make any kind of credible run in 2020. Ryan may be part of the damage report along with McConnell, Kristol and several others so who is left?

SCOTUS change IMHO is not that big a deal. With changing electorate this was bound to happen anyway. OWG's have been grasping at straws for some time now and this election just breaks that in half.

Why is that "sick"? It's been many, many years since anyone in their 60s has been nominated for the USSC.

Garland's age (63) is one of the reasons the GOP blockade is ridiculous. HRC's picks all will be in their late 40s/early 50s. Still believe the Thomas rumor is a desperate ploy. If Thomas truly did retire, Loretta Lynch would have been a potential replacement, but her age (59) is problematic.

Thomas probably has a pretty good pension and bennies so why continue with this bullshit. This current GOP is nothing like the one that nominated him so who cares whether they forgive him or not. Were it me and being 68, I'd be long gone in my RV and fly fishing all over the place instead of reffing the crap in DC.

Federal judges have the BEST pension and bennies. Exact same salary as when they were active, for life

My sister is a career clerk for a Federal Judge in Wilmington who is 88 years old. He would make the same amount of money to not work. But he loves it and apparently is a great justice.

Garland's age (63) is one of the reasons the GOP blockade is ridiculous. HRC's picks all will be in their late 40s/early 50s. Still believe the Thomas rumor is a desperate ploy. If Thomas truly did retire, Loretta Lynch would have been a potential replacement, but her age (59) is problematic.

Yep which is why blocking Garland shows obstructionism at its peak. Even Patrick and Lynch are too old for Hillary. A 45 yo, female who is like Elizabeth Warren is going to be her first pick. If Kamala Harris wasn't entering the Senate she'd be on the short list.

Yep which is why blocking Garland shows obstructionism at its peak. Even Patrick and Lynch are too old for Hillary. A 45 yo, female who is like Elizabeth Warren is going to be her first pick. If Kamala Harris wasn't entering the Senate she'd be on the short list.

Hopefully, no one like Warren would get approved.

With a Dem majority that person will. If need be, the Senate will change the rules.

Hopefully, no one like Warren would get approved.

Hopefully someone like Warren (male or female) will get approved. Breaking up the big banks would be a glorious first step as would making the pharmaceutical companies cut the government a better deal.

Not going to happen, but Obama now is about as old as anyone HRC will nominate. Someone now in their mid-40s to mid-50s conceivably could be on the bench until their mid-90s. It's why Thomas bailing would be such a blow to the GOP.

Harris wants to be POTUS, VP, or Governor. Otherwise she would have held out for a shot at the SC.

Something tells me that Harris's career is going to hit a roadblock once her role in perpetuating the Oakland PD scandal comes to light. I can't see her going farther than the Senate at this point.

Who will be the target of RJ's closeted racism once CT retires?

Not going to happen, but Obama now is about as old as anyone HRC will nominate. Someone now in their mid-40s to mid-50s conceivably could be on the bench until their mid-90s. It's why Thomas bailing would be such a blow to the GOP.

Harris wants to be POTUS, VP, or Governor. Otherwise she would have held out for a shot at the SC.

I don't understand your response. I said HRC's first nominee would be about 45yo, female who is liberal. And said that Patrick and Lynch were too old.

It seems we agree.

We also agree on Harris. Weird, that you think we don't.

I don't understand your response. I said HRC's first nominee would be about 45yo, female who is liberal. And said that Patrick and Lynch were too old.

It seems we agree.

We also agree on Harris. Weird, that you think we don't.

We do agree. Responding to someone's post doesn't mean you disagree.

Back