• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Credibile! (will reconsider if he sits Newman for another scrappy gym rat QB)

It's kind of amazing to me that Clawson and Grobe could be so different in personality and yet have the exact same approach to offense. So sick and tired of the whole "hope to keep it close and steal it at the end" philosophy.

I was really scared that our DBs (especially CBs) would get exploited on down-field throws, but for the most part I thought they played really well. The only time that a CB really got beat was on that last TD, and Henderson actually had really good coverage. He just got beat by a perfect throw and a great catch. Not that it ended up mattering, but the PI call on that play seemed bogus. The only real screw up was the 3rd and 20 that we let them complete. It looked like Glenn was in the right area, but made a real bad play on the ball. I'm not looking forward to facing Akers for another 2 years (at least).

It's kind of amazing to me that Clawson and Grobe could be so different in personality and yet have the exact same approach to offense. So sick and tired of the whole "hope to keep it close and steal it at the end" philosophy.

Out of curiosity, what would it take to make you think they were not "just trying to keep it close". Serious question. Passing on every single play? Running 10 double reverses a game? Do you think we were trying to keep it close against Presbyterian and Utah St?

Out of curiosity, what would it take to make you think they were not "just trying to keep it close". Serious question. Passing on every single play? Running 10 double reverses a game? Do you think we were trying to keep it close against Presbyterian and Utah St?

How about not running the delay draw 15 times in the second half and in our last possession try to a get a first down not run side to side two downs and then pass with 3rd and 11. Go for it dammit!

I agree. Playing not to lose is like playing a prevent defense-- all it does is prevent victory. The last couple of series the middle was wide open. Throw a slat to Cam or Dorsch. I think our OC was just plain afraid to win.

I'm all in on Clawson, we're world's improved from when he first got here, but we should've thrown caution to the wind on the 2nd to last possession. Because of how far he's brought us in a few years I'll give him a pass, but sometimes you've just to be aggressive and either go win it or go down fighting.

Absolutely! I love Clawson and think the future is bright. But sometimes you just have to try to win a game!

I agree. Playing not to lose is like playing a prevent defense-- all it does is prevent victory. The last couple of series the middle was wide open. Throw a slat to Cam or Dorsch. I think our OC was just plain afraid to win.

Yes sir absolutely correct! BTW we also played prevent defense on that last 3rd and 20 and got burned there too. After being aggressive all game!

How about not running the delay draw 15 times in the second half and in our last possession try to a get a first down not run side to side two downs and then pass with 3rd and 11. Go for it dammit!

So you think they weren't trying to get a first down on that possession? That they thought it would be just fine to punt from their own 10?

So you think they weren't trying to get a first down on that possession? That they thought it would be just fine to punt from their own 10?

Actually yes! They were "hoping" for a first down not calling plays to give us the best chance to get a first down. And we have seen over and over this does not work against really good teams or even somewhat good teams like App State.

Could have stayed in the game on last possesion. Poor play calling cost us the game. I blame the OC. Defense played great btw

When you play "not to lose," you usually do. Chicken sh!t play calling. Horrible special teams play. Some BS officiating. And the last play left something to be desired. Why throw to a single receiver in double coverage? Why not flood an area with multiple receivers and throw a rainbow, ala Aaron Rodgers?

Seeing the same thing, I figure it's a function of playing with players markedly inferior to their adversaries talent-wise. It seems when coaching at Wake, all coaches will get a lead and then sit on it and go conservative in order to minimize mistakes and to not give the superior adversary a chance to make explosive defensive plays. Both Grobe and Clawson rely/ied on defense to win games, both with sketchy results. That's all I can think of that makes sense.

I'm sure that some of them were delayed draws, but on some it looked like Wofford was looking for a quick slant and when it wasn't open, he would dive it up into the line.

BINGO!

Our defense ( players ) was about as good as we could've hoped for. But the rest of the team, and coaching, was lame.

I told a buddy that when we got the ball of the 50 after the Dortch return that if we didn't score on that drive, we would lose. Have to make it work there.

54c2abcc9f4f8beb3eb554a3be4602a7.jpg

I don't buy the idea that Wake's athletes are inferior to other teams. Wake is as big and fast as just about anybody. Today I thought that showed.

I really hate the play calling. The first 2 times they ran the orbit it worked ok. The next 3 or 4 times it lost yards because you could see it coming a mile away. They continued to run it without ever faking it.

I think the playbook is ok for the most part, but they call predictable plays in really obvious situations.

If the OC was a pitcher, I guarantee you would see a fastball down the middle on a 3-0, 3-1 and 3-2 count

If he goes he goes. Can't be scared to lose a coach. Keep making good hires and eventually we will be good enough to stay. Perhaps Clawson sees that in us now. I like Clawson and hope he is with us for a long time.

17 TFL ought to win games.

Part of the problem is that we had to give the D a rest. 3 incomplete passes and they are back on the field, so we couldn't just throw the ball. But our line couldn't block them either. So we ended up just running safe rushing plays to eat clock, even though we weren't gaining yards.

Our OL is still a problem.

Back