• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Credibile! (will reconsider if he sits Newman for another scrappy gym rat QB)

17 TFL ought to win games.

Part of the problem is that we had to give the D a rest. 3 incomplete passes and they are back on the field, so we couldn't just throw the ball. But our line couldn't block them either. So we ended up just running safe rushing plays to eat clock, even though we weren't gaining yards.

Our OL is still a problem.

Our pass protection *seemed* okay, but running lanes were non existent

Anyone that ties Clawson to Tennessee is clearly clueless.

54c2abcc9f4f8beb3eb554a3be4602a7.jpg

This is not good

*scratch that - checked the likes on the above tweet and Clawson was not one of them. Maybe he searched his name and accidentally hit like? Maybe he realized it was a bad look and unliked it? Who knows

Cannot believe the negative chatter on here. We go nuts about what good recruiting class we are going to have in b-ball, and what that will mean for our success; and then discount the fact that we lost in f ball to a team with much higher rated recruits than us. Clawson has us headed in the right direction.

Agreed. Good game, just came up short. That 3rd down conversion was the game.

I've read some stupid stuff on this board but this thread takes the cake. We were the better team today but lost not because we got conservative in the final minute. Seriously? Have the ball inside their 20 and fumble, let up a kick return to our 16 and a subsequent TD, and an INT leading to a FG. Those few big plays were the difference, not conservative playing calling at your own 10. Very few coaches pinned against their end zone are coming out throwing all over the place. The entire premise of this thread is insane...Jimbo trusted his freshman and Clawson didn't trust his senior. Just stupid, sorry. The Wake senior was on his 10 and the FSU fresh on the opponent's 40. Duh! Gosh, we proved we can play with just about anyone and lost. We act like we'll never have a shot again. Clawson clearly doing a great job. Sure he's open to criticism, but this just isn't the spot. We're going to beat good teams, because we're pretty good too.

The fact that Tennessee is in this makes me think it's complete BS. The fans were horrible to him and his family there with a situation that did not provide him with an opportunity to succeed. I'm thinking Petrino to Tennessee at the moment.

I love clawson and think he is a perfect fit at wake. I just wish he would hire a new offensive coordinator. The play calls on that last drive were so bad. You have got to play for a first down and hope for overtime.

There are very few people on this board that aren't thrilled that Clawson is our coach. Being critical of playcalling during a game doesn't necessarily mean you want a new coach. It is just giving an honest assessment of a game.

Clawson is the man, and is a great coach for Wake. We continue to make the climb, we just wasted a golden opportunity yesterday to take a step up. Would have been ranked in the top 25 and gotten a lot of good press this eeek if we could have finished off s game that was ours to win. Oh well.

The fan bases of anyone of those schools would be pretty disappointed if Clawson was their hire. TAMU fans are bashing the idea of Leach, suggesting he's not an upgrade from Sumlin.

Anyway, as for last night. I wish we had been a little more dynamic on offense (I understand not wanting to run tempo all the time but feels like we could have seen more of it), had made fewer mistakes on offense and defense, and had gotten more favorable calls, but ultimately special teams lost us the game.

I for one am good if we never try to block another punt again.

Washington won the game last week and had his hands on the ball in the end zone at the end tonight. Conservative play calling killed us with special teams screw ups. Oh well.

And on that third and long pass the prior possession.

The fact that Tennessee is in this makes me think it's complete BS. The fans were horrible to him and his family there with a situation that did not provide him with an opportunity to succeed. I'm thinking Petrino to Tennessee at the moment.

UT is a dumpster fire with an unrealistic fan base and mediocre in state recruiting base.

There are very few people on this board that aren't thrilled that Clawson is our coach. Being critical of playcalling during a game doesn't necessarily mean you want a new coach. It is just giving an honest assessment of a game.

Clawson is the man, and is a great coach for Wake. We continue to make the climb, we just wasted a golden opportunity yesterday to take a step up. Would have been ranked in the top 25 and gotten a lot of good press this eeek if we could have finished off s game that was ours to win. Oh well.

+1. I'm fine with the play calling from our 10 yard line. An incomplete pass is as good as a timeout for F$U. The problem I have, is that over the last three years our OL hasn't been trained to pound the ball to bleed the clock. Even the 4th and 1 with :22 left was done by the 2 point stance. Live by the RPO, die by the RPO.

17 TFL ought to win games.

Part of the problem is that we had to give the D a rest. 3 incomplete passes and they are back on the field, so we couldn't just throw the ball. But our line couldn't block them either. So we ended up just running safe rushing plays to eat clock, even though we weren't gaining yards.

Our OL is still a problem.

I don't follow. 3 incomplete passes give the defense just as much rest as three runs. Whether you run or pass you still get the same amount of time to snap the ball for the next play.

Regardless of how you don't get a first down the defense gets around 40-50 seconds per offensive play to rest while they are off the field

Also when you've completed 2/3 of your passes and you have the entire field to work with three incomplete passes are highly unlikely. Clawson was throwing well and receivers were catching the ball!

Our running game was not working and yet Clawson ran it twice. Throwing on 3rd and long is much less likely to succeed than on first or second down.

Unbelievable that literally one week after making the mistake of not aggressively trying for the first down against Appy State where that should have cost the game he would do the exact same thing.

They say coaches work 60+ hours a week watching film, game-planning, situational planning, and so on. How in the world can you all week consider what would you do different if that same situation came up and come to the conclusion you should do the same exact thing!

The only time we were "out-athleted" was on the kickoff teams. The long kick return hurt us, never did I feel otherwise they had a big edge in athletes on offense and defense.

I don't follow. 3 incomplete passes give the defense just as much rest as three runs. Whether you run or pass you still get the same amount of time to snap the ball for the next play.

Regardless of how you don't get a first down the defense gets around 40-50 seconds per offensive play to rest while they are off the field

Also when you've completed 2/3 of your passes and you have the entire field to work with three incomplete passes are highly unlikely. Clawson was throwing well and receivers were catching the ball!

Our running game was not working and yet Clawson ran it twice. Throwing on 3rd and long is much less likely to succeed than on first or second down.

Unbelievable that literally one week after making the mistake of not aggressively trying for the first down against Appy State where that should have cost the game he would do the exact same thing.

They say coaches work 60+ hours a week watching film, game-planning, situational planning, and so on. How in the world can you all week consider what would you do different if that same situation came up and come to the conclusion you should do the same exact thing!

That's funny I don't remember seeing Clawson suit up and play QB for us yesterday.

+1. I'm fine with the play calling from our 10 yard line. An incomplete pass is as good as a timeout for F$U. The problem I have, is that over the last three years our OL hasn't been trained to pound the ball to bleed the clock. Even the 4th and 1 with :22 left was done by the 2 point stance. Live by the RPO, die by the RPO.

You need to listen to Clawson's pressers. He explained why we don't drive block. The RPO scheme doesn't allow it. Linemen downfield.

I think it is time for Tabacca and Ruggerio to go if we are going to take that next step. We are only marginially better with bigger. stronger and more experienced linemen but still can not knock anybody off the los. I do think the 2 point stance hurts you in the run game, unless you have 5* studs across the line

Back