• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Credibile! (will reconsider if he sits Newman for another scrappy gym rat QB)

It seems like our offense is generally more effective passing to set up the run rather than vice versa.

I would like to see us try this on our most critical series.

Wow alot of crazy talk on this thread (surprise). I wish we had been more aggressive offensively at the end but otherwise I was pretty happy with the play calling. We moved the ball well and scored touchdowns. I was disappointed we didn't score TDs early when we had great field position but I thought we were light years better offensively than we have been in a while. Hell we even did a throw back to Wolford that was about a foot away from 6. We needed TDs instead of FGs to beat them. Also the quick slant/screens and crossing patterns worked really well. I don't know why those went away.

My biggest complaint was not trying to put more pressure on their freshman QB on third and like 21 in the fourth. I told my buddy that we have to stop there if we want to win. And giving up that conversion is about the most Wake Forest thing ever. Well that and giving up a 70 yard run from their one foot line. We had been successful getting into their backfield all day. We should've sent the house and put pressure on their QB. I don't think he would have gotten a completion there. And we would have gotten the ball back with the lead and good field position. That was the turning point. The game played out as expected from there. Prevent defense sucks. Rush eight and if we get burned so be it. Be aggressive.

Last edited:
Wow alot of crazy talk on this thread (surprise). I wish we had been more aggressive offensively at the end but otherwise I was pretty happy with the play calling. We moved the ball well and scored touchdowns. I was disappointed we didn't score TDs early when we had great field position but I thought we were light years better offensively than we have been in a while. Hell we even did a throw back to Wolford that was about a foot away from 6. We needed TDs instead of FGs to beat them. Also the quick slant/screens and crossing patterns worked really well. I don't know why those went away.

My biggest complaint was not trying to put more pressure on their freshman QB on third and like 21 in the fourth. I told my buddy that we have to stop there if we want to win. And giving up that conversion is about the most Wake Forest thing ever. Well that and giving up a 70 yard run from their one foot line. We had been successful getting into their backfield all day. We should've sent the house and put pressure on their QB. I don't think he would have gotten a completion there. And we would have gotten the ball back with the lead and good field position. That was the turning point. The game played out as expected from there. Prevent defense sucks. Rush eight and if we get burned so be it. Be aggressive.

They killed us with screens, though.

Attended the game yesterday, haven't watched a replay.

We certainly could have won yesterday but for our mistakes (mostly) and several calls where we didn't get the proper benefit. Our guys played hard and we should be very proud of them.

The RPO: we seem to do well (better than before years) rushing until we get to 3rd or 4th and short. Historic football suggests a QB sneak then, or RB into line from an under center QB works pretty well. We 'usually' use RPO and run, and get stopped, these last years. So, we're OK now on 1st & 2nd down, but poor on 3rd. Thus, we have to be less predictable in this situation and find some way to up our success percentage.

Agree with this

Totally agree.

The last second to last offensive possession (and the punts from the 40 for touchbacks) were things that we've seen 100 times over in a Wake Forest football game... knew our fate when we failed to play to win the game there :(

The second to last possession sucked from a playcalling and player execution standpoint. But it didn't help that it began with a fumble. Clawson should have held on to the ball more tightly on that one, what a coward.

If we don't make mistakes, we win. Simple as that. Clawson isn't a coward. He's a guy who plays the percentages. Might not be what some of us like to see, but it's served him well.

Replay tonight ESPNU at midnight. I look at it with a calmer eye and try to see what Claw was thinking. I like that Wolf was under center at times.

sportsnut, I agree with U. Tabacca and Ruggerio need to go. His play calling is beyond pitifull and Tabacca has these kids for three years and against a good defensive team thet still can't pass block(notice I said a good defensive tean). If I were the QB I would fear for my life against Clemson. Surely there are better offensive coaches out there

wfu could attract!

People want someone to point fingers at and blame for the loss.

Why not have a thread about the unbelievable game Dortch had, or the fact our D line might be top 3 in the ACC, or that Can Serigne is an absolute bad ass, or that Wolford has had a near mistake free season?

Yeah! Let's start counting moral victories and giving participation ribbons. "The team didn't win the game, but YOU had an unbelievable game, and YOU are a bad ass, etc..." Do you really think that those guys give a SH!T about anything other than the fact that we lost??? You play to win the game!

If we don't make mistakes, we win. Simple as that. Clawson isn't a coward. He's a guy who plays the percentages. Might not be what some of us like to see, but it's served him well.

I agree that he is not a coward. If he is trying to play the percentages, he needs to hire a statistician for help, because he is correctly playing the percentages if his end goal is a loss.

I would absolutely be fine with making the percentage play and failing. You could just see the game slipping away when those run plays were called.

Some of you guys are really something. Dave Clawson strapped a laughingstock of a football program on his back and has us competing in the toughest conference in football. He's a fucking genius. Best coaching hire in Wake Forest history.

It's simple math...

Disappointment = Expectations divided by Reality

We can criticize the playcalling in the last couple of drives and still be enamored with Clawson as our coach. I love that the guy is our head coach, I still think he made a very low percentage play in the 2nd to last drive. Running or passing, we are going to have to stop them from getting a first down if we don't make a first down. Might as well give yourselves a shot at 1st down by dropping back to pass. That is where we had all of our success. Still love Clawson and am excited about the future. Just wish we WOULD have played the percentages on that 2nd to last drive.

Doesn't serve us well when we're playing teams with equal talent like the last two weeks where we lost or should have lost.

Serving us well is where we go in the victory formation at the end of the game and don't have to hope the other team can't go 10-30 yards to beat you.

Back