• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Credibile! (will reconsider if he sits Newman for another scrappy gym rat QB)

This one still stings pretty bad. We had zero business losing that game. It stings even more knowing the gauntlet that awaits us. Just need to get one of these next 5 to give us a shot in the final 2 games of the season.

This one still stings pretty bad. We had zero business losing that game. It stings even more knowing the gauntlet that awaits us. Just need to get one of these next 5 to give us a shot in the final 2 games of the season.

I think we need to survive the trip to Death Valley, regroup and health up, during the bye week and get ready for the last 6 games. For one of the few times it seems our bye week worked out really well, we get extra prep time for Tech's option and it's coming exactly halfway through the season. After the Clemson game, I think each of the last 6 are winnable. Tech is always a pain to play, but they are beatable. I think they'll be as much or more emotion and motivation for us going into the Louisville game. I hope our fans and students come out for that one as well as they did Saturday. We owe Louisville, for the Wakey leaks and also we've played them very tough since they've been in the league and it's time we beat them. If we can get at least one of those 2, then 7 or 8 wins are definitely within reach.

I think the glass half full folks here are missing the point. Most years we are NOT going to have a legit chance to beat FSU. That's just the honest truth. This year we did because we are improving, FSU is severely down, and we were at home. In certain aspects of the game we competed more than well enough to win, our defense vs their offense being the primary example. BUT, we made so many mistakes on our own, unforced, coaching, and decision-making on the field, that we allowed FSU and their coaching staff to find footing in the game and turn it into an undeserved win. It's not a moral victory for us. Better Wake teams than this one are gonna get mauled in the future by better FSU teams than this one. Blame it on who you want, but we blew it. It was a LOWF moment for sure.

I think the glass half full folks here are missing the point. Most years we are NOT going to have a legit chance to beat FSU. That's just the honest truth. This year we did because we are improving, FSU is severely down, and we were at home. In certain aspects of the game we competed more than well enough to win, our defense vs their offense being the primary example. BUT, we made so many mistakes on our own, unforced, coaching, and decision-making on the field, that we allowed FSU and their coaching staff to find footing in the game and turn it into an undeserved win. It's not a moral victory for us. Better Wake teams than this one are gonna get mauled in the future by better FSU teams than this one. Blame it on who you want, but we blew it. It was a LOWF moment for sure.

Yeah we should've won, yeah it hurt and yeah it sucked. I don't think anybody is missing that point, but do we cancel the season now since we blew it? I came away thinking we blew it, should've won, but we've got a pretty darn good football. A lot left that can be accomplished this season, so I'm looking forward to the rest of it and hopefully learn from the mistakes against FSU.

No. LOWF is thinking that FSU is severely down and that better Wake teams are going to get mauled in the future by FSU. That's the definition of LOWF.

We all understood we had a great chance to win the game. Most even agree that aggressive play calling would have certainly been a reasonable, and perhaps correct, approach when we had the ball on our 10 with 1:30 left. What I'm arguing against, and I think others are as well, is that we should fire coaches because of the way the game turned out.

I'll admit to making this thread while leaving the game angry and intoxicated on Saturday, but I think many of you are overrating THIS Florida State team. They're not very good and will be lucky to get to 8 regular season wins. Wake (and Clawson) had every chance to win and continually blew it with cowardice and poor execution (Wolford I'm looking at you). Not attempting to get even a medium amount of yardage on first or second down inside our own 15 with them having three timeouts was piss poor coaching. Which has been my consistent knock on Clawson. The offensive play calling is bland and unimaginative, and he plays not to lose. Without Dorch having a breakout season this offense would look very similar to last year's. The program has taken four years of lumps to get to this point, and when the opportunity presents itself to get a signature win, Clawson didn't have the stones to go for it.

I'll admit to making this thread while leaving the game angry and intoxicated on Saturday, but I think many of you are overrating THIS Florida State team. They're not very good and will be lucky to get to 8 regular season wins. Wake (and Clawson) had every chance to win and continually blew it with cowardice and poor execution (Wolford I'm looking at you). Not attempting to get even a medium amount of yardage on first or second down inside our own 15 with them having three timeouts was piss poor coaching. Which has been my consistent knock on Clawson. The offensive play calling is bland and unimaginative, and he plays not to lose. Without Dorch having a breakout season this offense would look very similar to last year's. The program has taken four years of lumps to get to this point, and when the opportunity presents itself to get a signature win, Clawson didn't have the stones to go for it.

Probably helps that they're playing only 10 games.

At times it was, but we also ran quite a few end arounds, tunnel screens, bubble screens (WR and RB), and slant/drag routes. We also ran a WR throwback, switched to under center (this actually threw our timing off pretty bad), and ran a few different bunch formations with 3 or 4 WR stacked on one side of the field.

Hopefully, we can continue to expand the playbook and offense so these sets and plays become more well-executed and less gimmicky.

While this FSU team may be down relative to prior years, it's almost entirely on the offensive side of the ball. They have two All-Americans in their defensive backfield in McFadden and James. And they have the usual stable of defensive linemen. Complaining about our offensive play calling fails to accurately reflect the strength of the FSU defense. We needed to run the ball to get them to burn their TO's. Deep in your own territory against terrific defense is no time to get cute. Plus, our defense was playing terrific all game. A better punt would have made that strategy work out much better. It's how the game goes sometimes. if Wolford had throw a pick or gotten sacked for a safety backed up against our goal line how would we have reacted? We forced FSU to make a play, and they did.

Last edited:
I still just don't think the offense looked all that bad. (And I'm always critical of Wake's offense.) I agree with the complaint that we should have taken a shot at moving the ball second to last possession. While the hell not. But we played pretty well I thought. Execution wasn't always there but I can't complain about the play calling of the game overall. We just have to play better. We had favorable field position and momentum early on and got field goals when we needed touchdowns. And the defense, while playing a great (almost dominant) game, gave up three big plays that killed us. Is what it is. We needed to play a nearer to perfect game to beat Florida St. We didn't. We looked light years better in almost every facet of the game (except special teams) than we have in a while. I think we are in for a rough couple of weeks now.

This FSU team is not good. We could conceivably end up as the best win on their resume.

This FSU team is not good. We could conceivably end up as the best win on their resume.

Agree that the FSU offense has a ways to go, but recall that the FSU defense shutdown Bama. They held Bama to 24 points (10 which scored on turnovers inside the FSU 15), and 270 yards. Ask Vandy or Ole Miss if a team "that is not good" could hold Bama to those yardage and point totals.

We were only their third game. So what would you like us to base the opinion on?
I suspect if they were as awful as some think, then Bama would have dropped 50 on them.

We were only their third game. So what would you like us to base the opinion on?
I suspect if they were as awful as some think, then Bama would have dropped 50 on them.

They have been really outclassed in all their games. Just because Vandy and Ole Miss have really bad run defenses doesn't mean FSU's is good. The SEC is a little down this year outside of the top 3-4 teams (which they usually are anyway). Vandy and Ole Miss aren't very good either. What good teams do you see FSU beating? Probably not Miami. Almost certainly not UF. Definitely not Klimp's sun.

The kickoff formation where we don't have any players between the right or left hashmark and the sideline and kick to side where the players are stacked was something I've never seen before. The returner simply ran to the far side of the field and there was no one there. That killed us twice but a flag saved us on the opening kickoff. The punt coverage team needs to practice downing the ball at the goal line. Once, our player was standing in the end zone when he touched the ball. And do we ever practice against screen passing?

They have been really outclassed in all their games. Just because Vandy and Ole Miss have really bad run defenses doesn't mean FSU's is good. The SEC is a little down this year outside of the top 3-4 teams (which they usually are anyway). Vandy and Ole Miss aren't very good either. What good teams do you see FSU beating? Probably not Miami. Almost certainly not UF. Definitely not Klimp's sun.

So are you saying that FSU has a good run defense because they held Bama in check? Because we already know they have an All-American defensive back field.
I'm not sure how things will pan out for them, but just because the offensive side of the ball is weaker for them doesn't mean the defense is weak.

The three biggest special teams play in the Clawson era: 1) Washington's block vs App. 2) Armstrong's kick return vs Temple. 3) .............uh.................um...................The winning FG vs VT, that's it.. that's the third one. Love'ya Dave. But break out the bullhorn at the S.T practices. Special Teams shouldn't be a weakness.

I'll start by saying that I really like Clawson, and that we have the best team we've had in years. However, I was mad as hell that we didn't have the balls to really go for it from our own 10 with 1:30 to play. It was clear that we were just playing to punt, and that pissed me off. The fact that we didn't do shit with the ball, and that FSU won the game the way they did was just so, dare I say it, LOWF!

Back