• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Credibile! (will reconsider if he sits Newman for another scrappy gym rat QB)

Reading these posts you'd think we ran it 3 times. We ran it twice then threw for it, and Washington made a poor attempt at a catch. It should have been a first down. Our receivers not named Dortch had a nearly impossible time getting any separation - we threw 3 times in a row for a three-and-out before that, so that didn't work either. FSU's defense is good - acting like FSU is awful this year and we would have marched down the field against them just throwing more is overly simplistic. It really came down to a couple plays where both teams needed the QB to throw a guy open. Blackman, in my opinion, got lucky as fuck to never lose a fumble or have his crap passes picked off then pulled a throw out of his ass for the game-winning TD against great coverage. That was just about as likely as Wolford completing the hail mary at the end, which was in Washington's hands with only one player to beat and he couldn't squeeze it. Not to mention Wolford gets picked when he hits his receivers stone hands and it pops up to FSU and costs 3 points. With the XP we should have been up 4.

Two teams with great defenses and flawed offenses, they had Patrick we had Dortch. Pretty even matchup that came down to a couple big plays which broke FSU's way.

Take out 1 run, and Patrick had 18 carries for 50 yards. Pretty impressive. I'd venture to guess he had another 3 carries that went for 35-40 yards. I could not believe how many times we stopped a 6'3", 230+ lb running back in the backfield. Now, how you lose a guy that big in the screen game is another story.

Cam Akers is by far the better of the two, IMHO, and will be a Dalvin Cook type back next year.

Reading these posts you'd think we ran it 3 times. We ran it twice then threw for it, and Washington made a poor attempt at a catch. It should have been a first down. Our receivers not named Dortch had a nearly impossible time getting any separation - we threw 3 times in a row for a three-and-out before that, so that didn't work either. FSU's defense is good - acting like FSU is awful this year and we would have marched down the field against them just throwing more is overly simplistic. It really came down to a couple plays where both teams needed the QB to throw a guy open. Blackman, in my opinion, got lucky as fuck to never lose a fumble or have his crap passes picked off then pulled a throw out of his ass for the game-winning TD against great coverage. That was just about as likely as Wolford completing the hail mary at the end, which was in Washington's hands with only one player to beat and he couldn't squeeze it. Not to mention Wolford gets picked when he hits his receivers stone hands and it pops up to FSU and costs 3 points. With the XP we should have been up 4.

Two teams with great defenses and flawed offenses, they had Patrick we had Dortch. Pretty even matchup that came down to a couple big plays which broke FSU's way.

Wolford completed 2/3 of his passes he's not going to throw 6 incomplete passes in a row. We were averaging 6 yards per pass and 1 yard per run so big mistake to run the ball and just give them the ball back at midfield. Running it twice and then throwing on third and long where your chance of a completion is the lowest makes no sense. The sad part is that even if Clawson hired a good statistician he wouldn't listen. He had all week to figure out how to get a first down if he needed one when not getting one set up Appy State for the field goal and he came up with two runs and a pass when passing was successful 2/3 of the time for the entire game.

Our guys aren't in a position to beat FSU that often and when we have that opportunity he needs to give us the best chance of doing so.

Hey, at least a lot of the posters who didn't think we'd be 4-1 at this point now think our offense is so good it's being held back by conservative play calling against a defense as good as FSU's.

and you defended [Redacted]

You said we threw it three times for a three and out the time before and it didn’t work either. Here’s what you failed to acknowledge:

We threw it three times on the drive before and gained yardage on both first and second down and absent good plays from their defense would have had a first down after the first two plays.

On third down Wolford missed a relatively easy throw to a wide open receiver for an easy first down.

Clearly when we got the call back with two minutes left attacking them with a similar set of plays would have had a much higher chance of success than starting with two running plays.

Many football coaches coach to avoid losing rather than trying to win.

Uh, Clawson gives the offensive play calling reigns to Ruggerio which might be a flaw of his own but Ruggerio called those 4 straight runs.

Hinton gives us the best chance to win.

Disagree, the only time we really moved the ball was when their 2nd or third string was in, don't know how you can make that flat statement based on that limited and skewed sample size. Until very late, he was like 8-22

Hinton gives us the best chance to win.

Good God this is so fucking wrong I don't even know what to say. I was at the freaking game and would really like to understand what the hell we were thinking... Hinton is a great athlete but his running ability is not going to get you much against Clemson's athletic defense - we needed someone who could deliver an accurate pass and we did not have it today... Ugh!

Good God this is so fucking wrong I don't even know what to say. I was at the freaking game and would really like to understand what the hell we were thinking... Hinton is a great athlete but his running ability is not going to get you much against Clemson's athletic defense - we needed someone who could deliver an accurate pass and we did not have it today... Ugh!

Hinton started because Wolford was injured. I am sure they did not want to risk putting him out for the season. I did not watch the whole game but based on stats and following on line it looked like Hinton played pretty well considering this might be second best defense in the country.

I agreed with the basis of this thread last week because I believed then and still believe now that the coaches did not "go" for the win at home under conditions that dictated going for it.

Today I take some degree of moral victory in playing toe to toe with Clemson. We had chances in the red zone that we absolutely wasted. (BTW what is up with Weaver). But remember this is a great Clemson defense and our guys kept gig at them and the Defense played like big time men all day long after a quick start by Clemson.

I can hear many of you saying that this is inconsistent. But I don't think so.

Hinton rushed for 100 and passed for 200 against the best defense we will face. Many of the incompletions were drops.

Clawson Is Coward

I will say that I thought our playcalling was better this game than against app or fsu. But We were still way too predictable. I think I called 3-4 playcalls during the game and didn't miss a single one. If a casual fan is noticing the repetition. You can be sure a paid coaching staff is.

I would love to see more intermediate pass plays. It seems we either run the delay hand off or we throw a 30 yard fade. Our most successful plays of the day were shorter routes that our receivers turned up the field.

Clawson is still my guy and losing by 14 to Clemson on the road is nothing to cry about. The real test of his team is going to be gettingnto 7 or 8 wins. We are good enough to do it.

This game was night and day from the disaster vs FSU. Clemson is even better than ly, and at Death Valley virtually unbeatable. Several times in the last 10 years we've been totally outmatched down there, looking like a high school team totally intimidated. Not today. After Clemson started on all cylinders to go up 14-0 with 6 minutes left in the first quarter, WE MANNED UP ! Sure, our offense still sputtered, dropped passes, etc. but we actually made some first downs and simply missed scoring chances with missed field goals. Our defense held up much better than I expected against 80+ plays by Clemson. We were very good defensively and severely overmatched offensively. Honestly it could've been much, much worse. Hope we play like this the rest of the season and we actually might win a couple more games, which would be an excellent season.

Clawson is not a coward.

However, our QB’s are good enough and we have solid skill guys, so I agree with Wrangor that we need to spread it out with more intermediate passes. Aside from Dortch, I have an issue with our guys not going up for passes. We seem to wait for the ball to come to us and that won’t work at this level against this type of competition.

Dortch could end up being the best overall skill player to ever lace em up for the Deacs. Kid is talented, tough, wants the spotlight, passionate and did I mention tough? He really does remind me of a young Steve Smith and that’s not just because of the number he wears.

Hinton rushed for 100 and passed for 200 against the best defense we will face. Many of the incompletions were drops.

This. He had a good day against very tough competition.

Back