• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Credibile! (will reconsider if he sits Newman for another scrappy gym rat QB)

Clawson Has No Mahbles

Some of you guys are really something. Dave Clawson strapped a laughingstock of a football program on his back and has us competing in the toughest conference in football. He's a fucking genius. Best coaching hire in Wake Forest history.

Agreed. Some of the stuff on here is unreal. Just a reminder for those that have somehow forgotten - in Jim Grobe's last year we also hosted FSU. We lost 59-3. Our QBs combined for 63 yds passing, 0 TDs, and 6 interceptions. We've obviously made a massive turn around and all signs point toward the program continuing to improve, yet people on here are calling for firing the OC, offensive line coach, etc after out gaining a very solid FSU team. We gained 100 more yards against FSU than Alabama did on opening weekend, and you want to fire the offensive coordinator?

Last edited:
We can criticize the playcalling in the last couple of drives and still be enamored with Clawson as our coach. I love that the guy is our head coach, I still think he made a very low percentage play in the 2nd to last drive. Running or passing, we are going to have to stop them from getting a first down if we don't make a first down. Might as well give yourselves a shot at 1st down by dropping back to pass. That is where we had all of our success. Still love Clawson and am excited about the future. Just wish we WOULD have played the percentages on that 2nd to last drive.
I think this is a fair take. What is ridiculous are the posts that this loss was all on the coaches. Players and coaches did things to help us win and did things to help us lose. Despite the special teams mistakes, we still had a chance to win. Ultimately, it was a solid team loss, which sucks. Playing close with FSU is not good enough.

Yes, I can probably list a half dozen critical mistakes made by each unit of the team that led to the loss. And yet we were still a few minutes away from winning the game. Eliminate just half of the mistakes and we probably win.

So what's wrong with talking about the mistakes made by the players and coaches too?

Why drive it into the ground? They were mistakes; not things that they were doing on purpose. And I discussed a number of them already in previous posts here and on TOS. If someone wants to make an issue out of them I suppose we could dwell on them for a few more pages. The board is like that.

Hey, at least a lot of the posters who didn't think we'd be 4-1 at this point now think our offense is so good it's being held back by conservative play calling against a defense as good as FSU's.

Did any reporters ask about the conservative play calling on the last possession? I read the articles in the journal and MTOW, but didn't see any of that addressed. Actually both articles kind of sucked. There was no depth or analysis. It was just a re statement of what I saw.

Did any reporters ask about the conservative play calling on the last possession? I read the articles in the journal and MTOW, but didn't see any of that addressed. Actually both articles kind of sucked. There was no depth or analysis. It was just a re statement of what I saw.

Remember, every incomplete pass is as good as a time out for F$U. If they had doubled Cam and Dortch, who else would have made a big play. I think Bloggersodear is right on. After calming down, I'm appreciate what we did well. Survive Death valley and thump GT.

Last edited:
Remember, every incomplete pass is as good as a time out for F$U. If they had doubled Cam and Dortch, who else would have made a big play. I think Bloggersodear is right on. After calming down, I'm appreciate what we did well. Survive Death valley and thump GT.
So don't try to win in case something bad happens. That usually ends with us losing.

So don't try to win in case something bad happens. That usually ends with us losing.

From our own 10 yard line, yup! You play to get a first down. Then you play to get another first down. Then another first down. Then once you cross mid field you look to get into field range because you will have less than a minute left. So will F$U. You'll have three chances to get inside the thirty. If you get that done, your FG has to get out there, get set, snap the ball and hope it's not like that 2nd quarter extra point attempt. Watch the drive we had to end the Ole Miss game in '08. That's what we did. Saturday, we fumbled the first play. F$U is stopping the clock and plan A is out the window. I'd feel better playing our defense in overtime, and us score from 25 yards out. Going into the game we were 100% scoring in the red zone, what was our percentage from 90 yards out?

We needed a first down to likely get the game into OT. Playing conservately lessened our chances of that happening.

How many times are we going to keep running on 1st down on these crucial series and not converting before trying something different?

We needed a first down to likely get the game into OT. Playing conservately lessened our chances of that happening.

How many times are we going to keep running on 1st down on these crucial series and not converting before trying something different?

Yup. The timeouts were useless when FSU was only going to need one first down to win the game.

Lewis was our best receiver a couple years ago. What happened to him? Are these other guys unable to get open ?

The killer was the bad punt at the end. I imagine Clawson was thinking that if FSU did stop us, that FSU would end up with worse field position than what they were given due to the weak punt. And our defense had been holding the Noles all day. I can kind of see Clawson's thinking. The moment I saw that punt in the air (barely), I knew we were probably screwed at least for a field goal.

The killer was the bad punt at the end. I imagine Clawson was thinking that if FSU did stop us, that FSU would end up with worse field position than what they were given due to the weak punt. And our defense had been holding the Noles all day. I can kind of see Clawson's thinking. The moment I saw that punt in the air (barely), I knew we were probably screwed at least for a field goal.

Maggio hits punts in warmups that make you go wow, but he hits his shares of duds in the games.

Maggio hits punts in warmups that make you go wow, but he hits his shares of duds in the games.

He also should have had 3 pinned inside the 2 yard line. Pretty darn impressive for a freshman who is called on too much.

Oh yes, he punted well. But that last one was a total dud and it obviously came at the wrong time. I would have been nervous too, so I don't blame him.

Back