• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Credibile! (will reconsider if he sits Newman for another scrappy gym rat QB)

Hope some people aren't getting too high about this upcoming year. Losing Wolford, Cam, Bates, Duke, and Jaboree (plus the Hinton suspension) is A LOT. Not sure we're better than 5-7.

I think 6-6 is the best guess, but I agree with your premise

in general, the prevailing sentiment on this board is, I believe, overly pessimistic re: 2018-19 hoops and overly optimistic re: 2018 football (although hoops is definitely in disarray and football is on the upswing)

With our ol, backs and receivers, I am thinking 8 wins. Obviously depends on our defense and qb play.

Dude, I kinda had your back, and then you go and make a post like this. We also beat ND, Tenn, SCAR, UNC, and NCSU for said WR recruit.

I didn't bump the thread

I'm glad that we are (hopefully) going to sign a local highly rated kid, but football recruiting is so fickle that its hard to get that excited about it.

I'm also glad that this thread turned out to be misplaced, but some of y'all act like we won the division last year.

I may also be butthurt about Hinton's suspension

I didn't bump the thread

I'm glad that we are (hopefully) going to sign a local highly rated kid, but football recruiting is so fickle that its hard to get that excited about it.

I'm also glad that this thread turned out to be misplaced, but some of y'all act like we won the division last year.

I may also be butthurt about Hinton's suspension

Sokolove dropped the ball on this one. Thought I'd help him out.

I think we're going to win 7 regular season games. I think we drop 1 that we should win (BC and @Duke are the most likely) and pull a decent upset (@UL and @State are the most likely IMO).

But I don't know how not to be excited. The skill positions on offense are the best they've been in a long time, the offensive line is the best it's been in a long time, the defense should be at least as good as last year - while the line might take a step back the LBs should be better and that was the weakest part of the team last year. Quarterback play will go a long way towards determining how this season goes, and we have what seem to be a couple solid options. So if we go 3-0 to start the year when ND rolls around, things could get pretty interesting...

I think 6-6 is the best guess, but I agree with your premise

in general, the prevailing sentiment on this board is, I believe, overly pessimistic re: 2018-19 hoops and overly optimistic re: 2018 football (although hoops is definitely in disarray and football is on the upswing)

Most predictions for football are between 6-8 wins. I think Vegas has us at 6.5. It is a tough schedule. I don’t think anybody is overly optimistic. Even those of us predicting 8 know it will take everything breaking in the right direction.

I always thought we should erect a bronze statue of Grobe at BB&T. Now I'm thinking we should wait for a twofer.

Most predictions for football are between 6-8 wins. I think Vegas has us at 6.5. It is a tough schedule. I don’t think anybody is overly optimistic. Even those of us predicting 8 know it will take everything breaking in the right direction.

I remember one time having the opportunity to grab a pic with Grobe and my sons. But I didn't take it and regretted it for their sakes. It would still be nice to have, but I don't "lament" that little lost moment as much anymore. My appreciation of him is deep but I don't revere him as much as I did back then (for his coaching legacy; certainly respect his character immensely). Now I gotta get that pic with them and Claw...

I think we have to work hard to get to 6. Hard for everything to break the right way with our QB situation. Losing Wolford is going to hurt even more than people are acknowledging.

WF's Hinton suspension guaranteed that everything will not break in the right direction

I think we have to work hard to get to 6. Hard for everything to break the right way with our QB situation. Losing Wolford is going to hurt even more than people are acknowledging.

Yep. Wolford is the most valuable player we have had in a long time.

On the flip side, I don't think people are acknowledgeing how good a competent/strong OL, above average WRs (all but 1 are back), and agressive play calling made Wolford look last year.

While losing Cam will hurt, and Hines somewhat, we have our entire OL back, 3 strong RBs, and proven WR talent with promising newcomers. Those should make any average FBS QB look quite good. I'm confident that Claw and co. can coach up Newman or Hartman to be at least "average".

WF's Hinton suspension guaranteed that everything will not break in the right direction

Just like the Ben Mauk injury guaranteed that everything would not break in the right direction...

Just like the Ben Mauk injury guaranteed that everything would not break in the right direction...

the stated premise was that we need everything to go right to win 8 games this year

the stated premise was that we need everything to go right to win 8 games this year

And my point is that things "going right" aren't always predictable. The Hinton suspension could end up being a positive if another QB steps up. Merely pointing out that Wake fans in particular should know that...

We don't have a proven winner at QB at the college level and that is a really big question mark regarding how successful this Wake Forest team can be this season. There is a lot of talent on the team, which should really make it easier for whichever QB steps up to the challenge. Most likely we can expect to see multiple QBs playing this season.

And my point is that things "going right" aren't always predictable. The Hinton suspension could end up being a positive if another QB steps up. Merely pointing out that Wake fans in particular should know that...

I remember 2006 very well

that team won a lot of games leaning on its defense and special teams

I don't think we're set up to do that in 2018

Back