• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Credibile! (will reconsider if he sits Newman for another scrappy gym rat QB)

And my point is that things "going right" aren't always predictable. The Hinton suspension could end up being a positive if another QB steps up. Merely pointing out that Wake fans in particular should know that...

I think this is a very good point. We have several question marks - but almost every year some question marks are answered with resounding, unexpected success. We have question marks at linebacker, TE, QB, ST and maybe even S.

But - for example - I think the ? at LB is going to be answered by an All-ACC season from Strnad.

How the question marks are answered is the key - but our history under Clawson has been much more on the side of positive answers to ?'s rather than the other way.

I also believe the D and O are going to have the best balance we've seen in the Clawson era. So...what I expect is 7-5, but it won't surprise me much if after the season we are all feeling disappointed with 8-4 because of how close we came to 10-2. This is all Clawson's doing.

The one advantage at qb that we have is extra time to develop Newman or Hartman versus Hinton getting injured in the first game and no back up would have experience in practice getting enough reps with the first team offense. Both guys know they need to learn the playbook well in order to compete and will get the practice to develop execution. Also having the first two games against Tulane and Towson will give both qbs game experience and hopefully allow one to prove himself as the starter for Boston College. If that happens and we’re 3-0 to start the season I think there’s a good chance that Hinton does not start against Notre Dame.

The one advantage at qb that we have is extra time to develop Newman or Hartman versus Hinton getting injured in the first game and no back up would have experience in practice getting enough reps with the first team offense. Both guys know they need to learn the playbook well in order to compete and will get the practice to develop execution. Also having the first two games against Tulane and Towson will give both qbs game experience and hopefully allow one to prove himself as the starter for Boston College. If that happens and we’re 3-0 to start the season I think there’s a good chance that Hinton does not start against Notre Dame.

It will be interesting to see how much Hinton plays after the suspension is over.

We're 27 days from our first game and the guy we've been expecting to be the starting quarterback this season for the past two years is being talked about as a possible wide receiver.

Incredible !

Perhaps the talk about Hinton at other positions reflects the conclusion that his explosiveness makes it more useful to get the ball to him in space one-on-one with a d-back or a linebacker as opposed to beginning each play with him touching the ball. We have more explosive players now and we need a QB whose usefulness comes in the getting the ball to others in space as opposed to keeping it himself.

Plus, there is the endurance factor. Hopefully none of our QBs will endure the punishment that Wolford did for most of his career. Still you would think that Newman will be much more durable than Hinton.

For Hinton himself, if he hopes to play professionally, perhaps his chances are greater as a receiver than as a QB?

We're 27 days from our first game and the guy we've been expecting to be the starting quarterback this season for the past two years is being talked about as a possible wide receiver.

Incredible !

It's becoming clear that Newman and Hartman represent a huge step up in talent from Wolford and Hinton. Clawson clearly prefers experience. For him to make such a blatant statement on the first day of Fall camp shows he REALLY likes Newman and Hartman.

Perhaps the talk about Hinton at other positions reflects the conclusion that his explosiveness makes it more useful to get the ball to him in space one-on-one with a d-back or a linebacker as opposed to beginning each play with him touching the ball. We have more explosive players now and we need a QB whose usefulness comes in the getting the ball to others in space as opposed to keeping it himself.

Plus, there is the endurance factor. Hopefully none of our QBs will endure the punishment that Wolford did for most of his career. Still you would think that Newman will be much more durable than Hinton.

For Hinton himself, if he hopes to play professionally, perhaps his chances are greater as a receiver than as a QB?

Kendall Hinton is not playing in the NFL at any position and it's doubtful he's playing in the CFL. I guess he could play in the Arena League or the new WWF league.

It's becoming clear that Newman and Hartman represent a huge step up in talent from Wolford and Hinton. Clawson clearly prefers experience. For him to make such a blatant statement on the first day of Fall camp shows he REALLY likes Newman and Hartman.

And he realized this in August ?

Hartman is new to the program and Newman has almost assuredly never practiced much, if any, with the 1st team prior to this year. Hinton has had a ton of live game and 1st team reps that still yielded a very low completion percentage this spring.

Much better to use a dynamic player elsewhere rather than have him ride the pine - he could be a poor man's Braxton Miller at WR.

At the beginning of his fourth year in the program.

It was Hartman's first semester and the end of Newman's second year. What's your point?

Clawson is entering year 5 with a big red question mark at QB because the veteran hasn't developed and the other guys are untested.

?

Clawson is entering year 5 with a big red question mark at QB because the veteran hasn't developed and the other guys are untested.

?
Think whatever you want. Seems to me from the Journal article this week that Clawson is really high on Newman and Hartman, not really down on Hinton. He's not a bullshitter.

You also have to look at it in context. Chuck Wade started every game last year at WR. Clawson moved him to safety because he was so high on Bachman and the young WR.
https://247sports.com/college/wake-...Byrd-Chuck-Wade-move-to-secondary--115344692/

“We have a lot of returning depth at receiver,” Clawson said. “On the outside we have Alex Bachman, Scotty Washington, and we’re very excited about Sage (Surratt), Waydale (Jones) and Jaquarii (Roberson). Losing Jessie — we were short handed already, but then losing him.
“Chucky is a really good receiver, but if we split time at that position and move him over, then he becomes a starter day one.”

We all thought for sure Byrd would get a lot of reps at RB after a promising rFR year. But Clawson let him move to CB.

I'm high on Hinton at QB, but I look at this as more of the same. Clawson is trying to find space for Hinton at other positions because he's really high on Newman and Hartman.

Newman has been impressive. His technique has improved noticeably. He is Warren’s protege - as they all are. Warren is a helluva QB coach. Jamie’s release is quicker and his motion looks great.During Spring drills I saw him throwing laser-slants and it was like watching a big time prospect..which I think he is. He is a leader of the regional kids (including Hartman and Surratt) and I feel like he will develop into a bona fide NFL QB prospect.

** can I say all that ^ and still be jacked about Sam Hartman?

clawson should be of the mentality that whoever he's putting in there as a starting quarterback is going to succeed and take over the job

Another note on Jamie and his next 3 years (the years we have targeted and have patiently waited for)

The current class of WF Sophomores has some serious All-America and Pro potential

The most interesting part of this potential position change for Hinton is Clawson seems to have no plan to redshirt Hartman. He’s in no matter what.

Back