• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Credibile! (will reconsider if he sits Newman for another scrappy gym rat QB)

The most interesting part of this potential position change for Hinton is Clawson seems to have no plan to redshirt Hartman. He’s in no matter what.

I thought this as well. I’m hoping Newman wins the job and Hinton is the primary back up so we can redshirt Hartman.

If Hartman wins the job that’s fantastic and he must be really special (which I strongly believe he is) but if Newman wins the competition then I’m hoping a) he can stay healthy so we don’t need to burn Hartman’s redshirt or b) Hinton is the back up.

I think Clawson is confident enough in his QB pipeline that he knows he will have a quality starter in 2022 whether Hartman plays this year or not.

How do we feel about 6-6 with a bowl win over a MAC team in Detroit?

For me that would be the worst Wake could do and still be able to think of the season as "successful."

New, untested QB. New kicker. No obvious depth on the D-line. New starting linebackers.

For me that would be the worst Wake could do and still be able to think of the season as "successful."

New, untested QB. New kicker. No obvious depth on the D-line. New starting linebackers.

Yeah probably. I just have this sneaky feeling that we are going to be really good this year. Solid O-Line, depth at RB (knock on wood), weapons at WR, some questions on D but some playmakers as well. Hopefully we get solid kicking, the QB situation sorts itself out, a couple of guys step up on defense, and we don't have bad luck on the injury front.

Agreed. We are going to get a crap bowl at some point anyway. There are plenty of variables that could go wrong.

Yeah probably. I just have this sneaky feeling that we are going to be really good this year. Solid O-Line, depth at RB (knock on wood), weapons at WR, some questions on D but some playmakers as well. Hopefully we get solid kicking, the QB situation sorts itself out, a couple of guys step up on defense, and we don't have bad luck on the injury front.
But if not, fire Wellman

If Jamie wins the job, my ideal wish would be he remains healthy and if needed Hinton could give him relief when games are decided. Give Hartman playing time in 4 games(if needed, and if not to gain experience) thus giving him 4 more years and putting more years between him and Hartman, insuring Hartman to continue getting stronger and be at least a 3 year starter. Bowers could also be called upon to give some starts. Crazy, perhaps.

Not crazy at all - this is exactly what I’m hoping for as well. I think Clawson doesn’t allow himself to assume good health for all the QBs, but if Newman starts Tulane and looks good, then maybe we don’t see Hartman at all in game 1 - in which case we will know for certain that Claw is trying to keep the option of the RS for Sam. Even if we do see a lot of Sam in the first two games, but then only Newman against BC, I would say that will indicate the hope to get through the season with Newman as the starter and at least the hope of a RS for Sam.

This talk of Hinton changing positions seems like Hartman is playing no matter what.

This talk of Hinton changing positions seems like Hartman is playing no matter what.

Could also be one of several contingency plans. Hinton is too good a playmaker to keep on the bench if Newman uses his three games to seize the QB position. If Newman does that and stays healthy, what do you do with Hinton? Better to find him other things to do.

Hartman will definitely play. With the assumption that Newman takes the job, Clawson will have a big decision to make after game 4. Keep Hartman as QB2 and burn the shirt. Or redshirt him and make Hinton QB2

Think Hartman might play in one game vs. Towson or Rice, and then leave a 3-game buffer for the rest of the season to keep him as QB2 in the event of Newman getting dinged up. Of course if Newman gets seriously injured or starts stinking up the joint, you'll either have to burn the shirt or it's Hinton back at QB.

If Clawson really likes Hinton at another position, I doubt he will redshirt Hartman.

This has been settled already, as I implied above:

Clawson: “Especially with where we are now, it’s real important. You think early on of getting [Hartman] in here and maybe he plays, but he probably redshirts. Not going to do that now. He’s light years ahead of where he would have been if not here in the spring. He can go out there and function with the first offense.”

Clawson: “After the spring, we thought Kendall (Hinton) was still in the mix. If Kendall came out of the spring as the likely No.1, then No. 2 and No. 3 was a competition. If anything, if it was a short-term deal we might have favored Jamie if you were looking to redshirt Sam. But the whole redshirt scenario is out. We’re not going into it was anything pre-ordained. We’re going to let them make the decision as to who the starter is.”
https://247sports.com/college/wake-...Dave-Clawson-QA-on-QB-Competition--120276179/

If Clawson really likes Hinton at another position, I doubt he will redshirt Hartman.

I don't know about that. There is certainly evidence to support your position but Clawson won't want to waste a year of Hartman's eligibility if he can avoid it.

I don't know about that. There is certainly evidence to support your position but Clawson won't want to waste a year of Hartman's eligibility if he can avoid it.

Exactly. It’s perfectly reasonable for Clawson to say what he has said and yet still take the opportunity to redshirt Sam if the opportunity arises. Right now the priority is having a full on competition for starter - and if Sam wins the competition outright, then the question is moot. If, however, Newman wins the starter role, then the focus as far as Hartman is concerned becomes less clear cut. Those saying that the question is already settled seem to be missing the fact that Clawson is highly unlikely to lock himself into anything before he has to do it.

What's being discussed isn't a common sense decision in the event some other thing occurs, or doesn't occur. It's about the plan. As of now, the "Plan" is not to redshirt Hartman. If, and it's a big if, Newman wins the QB battle and is never injured, and Hartman only manages to see action in four games or less, or doesn't play at all, then OF COURSE he's redshirted. Those are the rules. Yet the question raised was whether Clawson wasn't planning on redshirting Hartman. And that's been answered, by him, expressly.

Back