• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson for HC??

Funny thing is, Wellman probably thinks hiring this guy is going to make a big splash with the fans.

Has it been mentioned that Wellman graduated from Bowling Green?

I DONT TRUST THAT PLACE

Can folks please stop saying Clawson "rebuilt" Bowling Green into a winner. The previous coach was 44-30 (14-11 last two seasons) and Clawson is 32-31. He rebuilt the program from a downturn he created himself. That said, Bowling Green is very good this season, although this is the first year of his 5 they are any good.

Can folks please stop saying Clawson "rebuilt" Bowling Green into a winner. The previous coach was 44-30 (14-11 last two seasons) and Clawson is 32-31. He rebuilt the program from a downturn he created himself. That said, Bowling Green is very good this season, although this is the first year of his 5 they are any good.

Last night during the telecast they said his first year, he played with only 47 scholarship players, so it is safe to say he rebuilt this team.

Last night during the telecast they said his first year, he played with only 47 scholarship players, so it is safe to say he rebuilt this team.

His first year was his second best team of his 5 at BG. His second year was the bad year that things fell apart.

Why do we want coaches who tear down and then start to build up? (Of course the and start to build up we haven't really seen yet on the hoops side).

Funny thing is, Wellman probably thinks hiring this guy is going to make a big splash with the fans.

Dave Clawson has a pretty good track record of building up teams. I'm sure many people are worried after the debacle that was his tenure at Tennessee. If I recall correctly, Clawson had built up a pretty nice D-IAA or D-II Richmond program when he was hired by Tennessee as their Offensive Coordinator. Clawson has a great offensive scheme, and Tennessee (minus Fulmer) wanted him to install it there. Fulmer ended up taking over the reins because he didn't understand it or it was too complicated or non-traditional for him to adopt. This led to the HC and OC being on completely different pages and Clawson got scapegoated for the downfall of Fulmer. It was really quite unfortunate for Dave Clawson.

However, I think Clawson would be a great hire for Wake. His creativity would do well with the athletes that we could bring in and I feel as though we could definitely overachieve with him as the Head Coach.

Posted on another thread, but I agree that Tennessee's crappy 2008 team was a dysfunctional mess, and it's weird that Clawson was the escape goat. Fulmer was on the hot seat before Clawson even arrived.

Agree on throwing out Clawson's one year at Tennessee.....I don't think you can make any real judgments about a coach based off a one season tenure at a job no matter how good or bad that season was (unless they were caught in some major scandal or something of that ilk).

Why do we want coaches who tear down and then start to build up? (Of course the and start to build up we haven't really seen yet on the hoops side).

We don't. No one wants Clawson or Lembo to "tear down" anything. But to the extent that our program will not be starting from a position of relative strength, we need to be sure that we hire a coach who has the ability to fill out a roster and be successful with his own players that he himself recruited, as opposed to solely from the strength of the roster he inherited.

Next year, we're going to be very young, and likely, very bad. There are plenty of coaches out there who can take a strong, veteran roster that the former coach left behind and win. That's not what we need for 2014, and that's not what we'll need going forward as (still) a relatively small fish in a very big pond.

Fulmer was a dysfunctional mess without Cutcliffe as the OC. His inability to run an offense without Cutcliffe was the downfall of his tenure at Tennessee. Fulmer may have known how to coach really great offensive lines, but when it came to Xs and Os outside of OL he was lost...

From growing up in E. Tennessee, no one can truly understand just how fickle that fan base can get with their coaches even in years with 10 win seasons. Clawson probably had no idea what he was getting himself into.

Back