• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson signs 8-year contract extension

BOOM! Just saw this. Great move by Wellman (got to give props when it is due).

Did he have a 4 or 5 year contract? Either way, an 8 year extension puts him on a similar timeline as Grobe. Grobe's would have run out at year 13 if I remember correctly.

I have no qualms with Clawson right now but this kind of contract is a mistake. Wellman strikes again.

Hiring Lembo would have been a mistake. Clawson gets Wake and will keep Wake competitive over the near future. He has a fire that Grobe either lost or never had.

It must be asked: How long until someone buys it out?!?! :eek:hnoes::willynilly::eek:hnoes::willynilly:

Last edited:
Is this normal anywhere else? Seems too long. Maybe somebody will bother to ask about the details unlike his original deal.

I'm ok with it. I feel like Claw is perfect for us. And if he's successful and someone buys him out, that's good as well.

Did he have a 4 or 5 year contract? Either way, an 8 year extension puts him on a similar timeline as Grobe. Grobe's would have run out at year 13 if I remember correctly.

And we all saw how well that worked out.

8 year contract for an epic collapse at the end of the year? And after we lose our DC?

Great deal for Clawson. Hope it works out to be a great deal for Wake.

Is this normal anywhere else? Seems too long. Maybe somebody will bother to ask about the details unlike his original deal.

I am a big Clawson supporter but this makes even me nervous. Hard to judge without knowing the details. Like you, I hope that someone will see if they can get some answers.

And we all saw how well that worked out.

Yep. Although I can't see Clawson getting complacent as Grobe.

8 year contract for an epic collapse at the end of the year? And after we lose our DC?

Agreed. I feel like we need to see more before making a long term commitment. Maybe give him a 3 year extension. If he gets us to another bowl, maybe then go long term.

Jeez, that soft schedule really did do wonders.

Clawson is a great fit for Wake Forest. He is a competive MFer; no chance that he is going to mail it in.

This should help recruiting (to fend off negative recruiting that Clawson is using WF as a stepping stone), and should help to continue to augment his staff. If I was the AD, would've aimed for a 4 year extension, but could've been convinced that 8 years truly shows his commitment to stay at WF for the long haul. Also, fair to assume that an extension of this length comes with a massive buyout; so, if Clawson wins big at WF and does leave WF, WF would be in position to spend big for his replacement. Net positive for WF Football.

Clawson is a great fit for Wake Forest. He is a competive MFer; no chance that he is going to mail it in.

This should help recruiting (to fend off negative recruiting that Clawson is using WF as a stepping stone), and should help to continue to augment his staff. If I was the AD, would've aimed for a 4 year extension, but could've been convinced that 8 years truly shows his commitment to stay at WF for the long haul. Also, fair to assume that an extension of this length comes with a massive buyout; so, if Clawson wins big at WF and does leave WF, WF would be in position to spend big for his replacement. Net positive for WF Football.

His relative youth and fire is why I can't see him turning a Grobe.

Back