• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson signs 8-year contract extension

Grobe inked a 10 year deal in 2007, making him 55-56. Pretty large difference there in terms of coaching careers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just saw 2003. Did he sign another? Must have.

I shouldn't try to work, listen to soccer, and post at the same time.

It was either gonna be #smalltime that we didn't open up the pocket book or #smalltime that we overpaid, so at least we know where we stand on the immediately reactionary criticism. I don't love the move, personally, but I think it makes Wake more attractive to potential coaches in all our sports going forward, so it's hard to get too butthurt about it.

Jeez, that soft schedule really did do wonders.

Best post on the thread. Temple was a very impressive win.....but other than that, what has he done in three years? That cupcake schedule is the only thing that got him to the Temple game.

It's possible that there's some kind of clause that ameliorates the damage for Wake if he tanks badly early on, in which case I'd be alright with a longer term agreement for appearances sake. A straight kind of 8-yr deal that really locks us down will always scare me. Grobe's did even before he tanked. We'll never know the details though, just as we never knew the details of Grobe's, which we terminated 3 years early.

My thinking is that with TV and conference revenues skyrocketing (along with coaching salaries) this will be a deal in a few years. Much like the trend to lock up young NFL players to long term extensions.

Dumb

Wellman clearly hasn't learned anything from the last couple of the Grobe years

Clawson and his basic bitch offense are about a year away from destroying what is left of a dwindling football fan base.

Last edited:
Best post on the thread. Temple was a very impressive win.....but other than that, what has he done in three years? That cupcake schedule is the only thing that got him to the Temple game.

Recruit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Per the Twitter.

8d5RdCR.jpg

Yes. And if he loves anything, it's making excuses for any success Wake Forest sports has

I like Clawson and think he's a good fit for our program, but 8 years is excessive.

If there is one thing bob hates, it's loyalty to coaches that have success at Wake.

I have no idea what that post means, but on the face of it, it makes no sense. I have loyalty to Jim Grobe. HE had success at Wake.....28 wins in three years with 3 bowls, including our only appearance ever in the Orange Bowl. Surely you are not trying to imply that Clawson has had success at WF in his career here to date. He was 1-7 in the ACC in his first two years...and didn't even score a touchdown in either of those two wins. And considering the schedule, 6-6 this year can hardly be described as "success", in my opinion.

Maybe Clawson will be great. We will see.....but he hasn't done enough to carry Grobe's jock yet. Get back to me when he wins 28 games in a 3-year stretch and goes to the Orange Bowl....and is named National Coach of the Year.

I am a Clawson fan, but 8 years is a long time. We need more details of the K to understand better whether this is a good or bad deal for the program.

I have no idea what that post means, but on the face of it, it makes no sense. I have loyalty to Jim Grobe. HE had success at Wake.....28 wins in three years with 3 bowls, including our only appearance ever in the Orange Bowl. Surely you are not trying to imply that Clawson has had success at WF in his career here to date. He was 1-7 in the ACC in his first two years...and didn't even score a touchdown in either of those two wins. And considering the schedule, 6-6 this year can hardly be described as "success", in my opinion.

Maybe Clawson will be great. We will see.....but he hasn't done enough to carry Grobe's jock yet. Get back to me when he wins 28 games in a 3-year stretch and goes to the Orange Bowl....and is named National Coach of the Year.

It's a different ACC now. Grobe could NOT do now what he did then all other things being equal. Geez, Grobe got to coach against Bunting.

Good for Clawson. The amount of time means little without knowing the buyout, etc.

Helpful for recruiting. Assuming there are reasonable outs for WF (only slightly skeptical because RW) this is good.

This stability is also not a bad thing when hiring assistant coaches.

This stability is also not a bad thing when hiring assistant coaches.

You think Elko is like "Oh snap! Clawson is stable now. I should go back instead of riding out Kelly's sinking ship."

Back