• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson signs 8-year contract extension

This should only help add to his already best-in-school-history recruiting.

I would have loved to be his agent - easiest negotiation ever. Wake owed him big time after the Elrod mess.

Dabo Swinney signed a 6-year contract last year after taking his team to the national championship game. We give out an 8 year contract for breaking even and winning a crappy bowl. LOWF. Like someone else said, great deal for Clawson, may or may not be a great deal for Wake. I'm a big Clawson fan but this seems overly generous to me.

You don't give big contracts out for past performance, you give them out for future expectations. Time to take Wake football to the next level.

Would've been nice to see what his staff can do in a full, post-Elrod season before giving him this extension.

I always love hard line opinions when no one has any clue what the details of the contract are.

It's possible that there's some kind of clause that ameliorates the damage for Wake if he tanks badly early on, in which case I'd be alright with a longer term agreement for appearances sake. A straight kind of 8-yr deal that really locks us down will always scare me. Grobe's did even before he tanked. We'll never know the details though, just as we never knew the details of Grobe's, which we terminated 3 years early.

Does this mean Wellman can retire now?

a-religous-person-used-pray-its-not-very-effective_o_545673.jpg

Great deal for Clawson. Hope it works out to be a great deal for Wake.

This. I like Clawson, but had we finished the season 1-6 with an L in the bowl (instead of 2-5) , I bet there would be considerable grumbling about this move.

I like DC and think he is good fit for Wake. Not too worried about his contract. Sports contracts seem pretty easy to get out of. Hope they put a big buy out clause and he is successful here for years to come

There is considerable grumbling about this move.

Clawson is 49, same age as Grobe when he was hired at Wake.

Yes and Grobe had a strong first 8 years at WF; it was the last 5 where he started to slowdown.

Grobe inked a 10 year deal in 2007, making him 55-56. Pretty large difference there in terms of coaching careers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back