• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clemson @ Wake Game Thread

Everything fell apart when our most experienced player fouled a 3 pt. shooter in the act of shooting. We lost the lead at that point and never recovered. We play really dumb basketball at times, especially under pressure.

What does that have to do with poor shooting? We shot pretty poorly.

the comment was to Bud who said we have no shooters, Key and Wilby shoot 42-43% from 3. today we sure didnt shoot well. lots we dont do well but we can shoot when we take our better shots. top 20 team and we had it there for the taking.

I'm not sure where to put this so this thread is as good as any...I heard through someone who should know that Gabe Devoe was interested in Wake and his high school coach ( A WF alum) tried his best to get WFU involved with Devoe but [Redacted] wasn't interested. I know that Devoe was not a highly rated recruit at the time, but he is a classic example of a kid getting better each and every year and by the time he is a senior, he is pretty damn good. In other words, exactly the kind of guy that Wake should be looking at.

He tied for most shots and played nearly double the minutes of Chaundee. Devoe and Reed murdered us. Not that Key was always on them, but its more the fact that Chaundee wasn't.

Key played ok. That wasn't really the point. I was more curious as to why Chaundee only played 17 mins. His defense warrants more than that, especially when their 2 and 3 combine for 46 points.

This is just incomprehensible. Chaundee is far and away the best wing defender on the team. When he gets enough run the offense is usually there as well. He should get between 25-35 minutes per game.

TT should not play at all barring serious foul trouble among the others. There is no reason he should take minutes away from Mitchel or Sarr.

Putting your best players on the floor is a simple thing. How do you screw this up game after game?

I'm not sure where to put this so this thread is as good as any...I heard through someone who should know that Gabe Devoe was interested in Wake and his high school coach ( A WF alum) tried his best to get WFU involved with Devoe but [Redacted] wasn't interested. I know that Devoe was not a highly rated recruit at the time, but he is a classic example of a kid getting better each and every year and by the time he is a senior, he is pretty damn good. In other words, exactly the kind of guy that Wake should be looking at.

Maybe he developed because he has a good coach.

Based on the stats from today's game-- FG % Thompson .200; Moore .444; Crawford .333; Childress .333; Brown .167; Woods .417; Sarr .600; Mitchell .750. I contend that Moore and Woods were acceptable, Not so much for the other starters. Reserves better than starters. Clemson had 3 players above .400 and two over .500-- Devoe was 8/11. We just don't have good shooters, especially in crunch time.

Their zone killed us. If they didn't switch to it, I would have liked our chances. Crawford played an amazing first half. Woods was playing well and we needed him on the court for his O plus he made a couple of steals. I don't think Chaundee was earning 30 min tonight. He does on other nights.

The last few minutes of the first half were bad too. It was tight and then all of a sudden Clemson was up 5.

Crawford's foul on that 3 point shot was a breaking point. Really over the top, uncontrolled defense on his part. Momentum shifted to Clemson after that.

I thought the offensive rebound that ended up as a Devon 3 was the turning point of the game. Being in a tennis match late against a team with good guards is not good. The first team to win a service break controls the the game. If we had hit our layups & made a couple more of our open looks, it’s a different game.

I thought the offensive rebound that ended up as a Devon 3 was the turning point of the game. Being in a tennis match late against a team with good guards is not good. The first team to win a service break controls the the game. If we had hit our layups & made a couple more of our open looks, it’s a different game.

Agreed. That play killed us. devoe actually missed the shot that was rebounded

And what really cracks me up was Danny's response to the question "they seemed to slow down Bryant in the second half, did you see them doing anything different from the first half to the second half with him?"

DM - "Um, I'm sure they made some type of adjustments"

well, very soon we'll have a rotation full of players so good, nobody will be able to make any of those mysterious adjustments to slow them down

^no Bud, seems like a dream to me too, but I have been assured of this regularly

I love how he attempts to make a play on nearly every rebound. He he a great motor. Reminds me of Justin Jackson. He will be very good next year.

Agree, he is always making an effort to engage on the offensive glass. Hope he sticks around and keep working on the 3 ball and midrange. His last 3 was flat but in.

Just looked at the stats-- we have no player that can shoot the ball. Best effort was Moore 4/9-- everyone else in the low 30s or worse. These guys are not Div 1 shooters.
I agree with Bud. The fg% for our outside shooters are as follow. Crawford 39%, Woods47%, Childress 39% and Wilkbekin 38%. Crawford has taken the most shots. Woods is the only consistent shooter an it seems every team we play has at least 2 or 3 consistent shooters. Guard play was supposed to be our strength.

What they did was run a zone with a focus on Crawford, which is a great counter to how we run our zone offense these days. None of our bigs have proven they can pass from the free throw line (aka, the weak part of a 2-3), so we have to put Crawford there. It wrecked Cuse, but now it seems teams have caught on. So when they went zone, and were still sticking to Crawford, I think it threw us for a little loop. Although, we countered how we should have. We moved a shooter to that free throw line extended, but Chill and Key missed wide open 3's. Hard to blame coaching for that.

Maybe he developed because he has a good coach.

Brownell only played him 8.5 mpg his freshman year on a 16-15 team. If Brownell had only given him more playing time he’d be an All-American right now. Plus everyone knew he would be this good his senior year regardless of the coach.

In the first half, Clemson's 6th team foul came with 12:15 to play, at which point WF was in the bonus

Over the next 12:15 of basketball, WF drew a total of 3 Clemson fouls (two of them came when Clemson fouled a WF player getting a rebound on the defensive end) and went 4-5 from the FT line

In the second half, Clemson's 6th team foul came with 10:01 to play, at which point WF was in the bonus

Over the next 10:01 of basketball, WF drew a total of 2 Clemson fouls and went 3-4 from the FT line

so, over 22+ minutes of basketball in which WF was in the bonus, WF's offense managed to draw 3 fouls from Clemson

Crawford, Woods and Childress are 90%, 84%, and 79% FT shooters, respectively

Back