• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clemson @ WFU - Saturday 9/24 - 12 Noon ABC

There’s a weird desire for Wake to be bad that’s not the case with Duke. It really disrupts the whole machine is Wake is good without a lot of money or big time recruits.

There’s a weird desire for Wake to be bad that’s not the case with Duke. It really disrupts the whole machine is Wake is good without a lot of money or big time recruits.
The machine analogy makes perfect sense. They know the market for Duke exists because of basketball. Every jabroni Duke fan in NY/NJ who has never set foot in NC has been accounted for, so the networks know what they can tap into.

Yeah if they’re actually going to an away Duke game next week it’s some real bullshit. Would imagine we are not considered for the State game this year even if we’ve both beaten Clemson.

The machine analogy makes perfect sense. They know the market for Duke exists because of basketball. Every jabroni Duke fan in NY/NJ who has never set foot in NC has been accounted for, so the networks know what they can tap into.

Wake isn’t a fun Cinderella program for some reason. We can’t get the Cincy treatment from last year or Boise State from years ago. Can’t even get the Northwestern love because Wake doesn’t have a journalism program.

No. I do think Wake is under-represented in corporate sports media vs. sharper analysts and independent outlets.
defs

but some people here are acting like there are people in bristol sitting in a boardroom plotting against wake

defs

but some people here are acting like there are people in bristol sitting in a boardroom plotting against wake
I don't watch many of the pregame shows. The only guy I have seen recently that actively diismissed Wake in football was Kirk herbstreit

defs

I don't think, as a corporation, they are plotting against Wake but when the face of their college football telecasts, on national TV, claims ".... yeah, Wake will bring all six fans to a bowl", there is obviously some axe to grind. The solution is to continue having great seasons over time to weed out that garbage.

We should find out GameDay news in an hour or so

Lots of sites predicting Wake

defs

Do you think people in Bristol have their clear favorite programs or some schools are just overrepresented corporate media?

SVP loves us

Yeah. He’s a lifelong sports fan. He’s an old school ACC guy who grew up watching Wake.

I think the idea that people don’t have programs they like, don’t like, or are annoyed by is weird. Juice’s take makes it seem like he believes corporate types are neutral actors instead of people driven by their own biases.

My take is sports media is driven by a bunch of Gen Xers with a preconceived notion of a sports hierarchy based on growing up in the 80s and 90s and don’t like to challenge those beliefs. College football is really bad for this because the whole sport is heavily influenced by sports media opinions formed before games are ever played.

Yeah. He’s a lifelong sports fan. He’s an old school ACC guy who grew up watching Wake.

I think the idea that people don’t have programs they like, don’t like, or are annoyed by is weird. Juice’s take makes it seem like he believes corporate types are neutral actors instead of people driven by their own biases.

My take is sports media is driven by a bunch of Gen Xers with a preconceived notion of a sports hierarchy and don’t like to challenge that beliefs. College football is really bad for this because the whole sport is heavily influenced by sports media opinions formed before games are ever played.

I think this is a very fair point and I tend to agree. I don't think there is some conspiracy against Wake but I do believe that certain biases prevent from providing interesting stories/insights because some teams do not fit into a hierarchy.

Back