• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CNN Townhall with Parkland Students, Rubio, NRA and others

Former Bernie Bro Killer Mike says "from my cold dead hands" for NRA TV.

https://pitchfork.com/news/killer-mike-defends-gun-ownership-in-new-nra-video/
I've seen him make those arguments on twitter, that POC would be unfairly targeted by a gun ban, just as they are unfairly targeted by the drug war. On the one hand, he is probably right, on the other hand, POC are already disproportionatly victims of gun violence. It's very easy to disagree with his pro-gun stance from a distance (I do, vehemently), but its difficult to actually refute his argument about the racial realities of any new authoritarianism.

On that topic

Last edited:
I've seen him make those arguments on twitter, that POC would be unfairly targeted by a gun ban, just as they are unfairly targeted by the drug war. On the one hand, he is probably right, on the other hand, POC are already disproportionatly victims of gun violence. It's very easy to disagree with his pro-gun stance from a distance (I do, vehemently), but its difficult to actually refute his argument about the racial realities of any new authoritarianism.

Definitely. But the authoritarianism would get worse in his reality because it would be carried out by everyday people who are scared of black people. The NRA can put him on their TV, but the majority of their viewership would shoot him in him a heartbeat if they saw him open carry in their neighborhood. And then they'd use his rap name to justify self-defense.

Proves this is true: "santorum" "the frothy mixture of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex".

Definitely. But the authoritarianism would get worse in his reality because it would be carried out by everyday people who are scared of black people. The NRA can put him on their TV, but the majority of their viewership would shoot him in him a heartbeat if they saw him open carry in their neighborhood. And then they'd use his rap name to justify self-defense.

28947136_10215228356528411_6628648511172352486_o.jpg

You know I can't believe I spent time going to the March on Saturday when I haven't even received my check from the March last February. Ugh, what a waste of time.

You should be pissed. Soros is only paying those kids in tide pods and Fortnite loot crates.

Before they marched, they sat in: The 'good trouble' of the Pennridge 225

Hundreds of thousands of kids across America walked out March 14 to honor the dead from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and call for stricter gun laws, but few on the Eastern Seaboard faced as much hassle as the Pennridge 225. Their initial plan for a 17-minute protest didn’t pass muster with the GOP-led school board, including one — Joan Cullen — who later tweeted at Philadelphia talk radio hosts that the protests were “truly radical, anti-police, anti-U.S. govt.”

There were moments when things got nasty in the hallways. Makenzy Portney, a 16-year-old junior, said someone called her “a liberal retard” as she headed for the door that morning. Indeed, some kids decided the protest — and the mandatory Saturday morning detention that awaited anyone who walked — wasn’t worth the risk.

“I have a scholarship that rides on me not getting a suspension,” said 18-year-old senior John Bordo, recently accepted at the University of Maryland-Baltimore County. But Bordo did what he felt he could by showing up this Saturday to cheer on his classmates who waved from the windows of minivans as their parents drove them to their punishment.

When the two-hour detention ended at 10 a.m., one of the kids who streamed out to applause — 15-year-old Emma Hawkins, bearing a batch of posters including one with a semiautomatic that read AN ASSAULT ON OUR FUTURE — said she also wants to go into politics, prompting her mom to blurt out that means she plans to run for president. But for right now, the Pennridge activists are focused on the more down-to-earth goal of getting 18-year-olds to register — and vote in school board elections.

If they had just let the kids walk out this thing would've lasted 17 minutes. Instead there was a viral video, multiple weekends with a group of students and parents protesting Saturday detentions, and a school board member outed as a Twitter crazy.

Our local school board has to be happy they had scheduled Spring Break for that week.

High school students are marching 50 miles to Paul Ryan’s home town to call him out on guns

What began as a march coordinated by a group of students from Shorewood soon drew students from across the state, from schools and neighborhoods of various political and economic backgrounds. The students — most of them strangers to one another — all gathered in Madison on Saturday night to begin their march Sunday morning. And the march has swelled. Even in the hours since the group began walking, young people following on social media have reached out asking how they can join in, as well.

Bundled up in hats, gloves and winter coats, the high school students braved near-freezing weather Sunday and walked 17 miles, honoring a different victim of gun violence after every mile and documenting their progress on social media.

Twitter account @50milesmore

INSIDE THE SECRET MEME LAB DESIGNED TO PROPEL #NEVERAGAIN BEYOND THE MARCH

Douglas High junior Cameron Kasky famously started #NeverAgain by gathering vocal, charismatic, and talented classmates at his house, culminating in a day-long slumber party over the first weekend. About 20 students make up the core group, with Kasky, González, Hogg, Corin, and Wind at the helm. But Kasky broadened the talent pool by reaching out to a few recent drama grads with exceptional media skills. Dylan Baierlein and Matt Deitsch are key backstage players, integral to the content-creation brain trust.

Their mission now is to keep their audience captivated. “We will soon be starting to create YouTube content,” Baierlein told me. “We’re working on the logistics. I’m writing scripts and whatnot already.” They’re planning mostly short videos, in the two- to five-minute range. “It’s going to be a mix of actual education political stances and, like, the history of gun violence, and how you can register to vote.” They’re also toying with the idea of posting behind-the-scenes videos showcasing their suddenly eventful lives. “Maybe what we had to deal with at the march when we got to D.C., and what we do on a day-to-day basis—just to keep things lighthearted,” Baierlein said. “Because we don’t want to lose sight of our actual selves and our youth.”

They've had two recent grads basically working on this full time.

The biggest surprise about how the ideas lab operates is how careful its participants are. Each member has veto power, and they wield it liberally. Baierlein says he’s made four memes that could have been viral but released only two, because the other two are wryly satirical, “and the media yells at us when we’re laughing.”

“Everything we do, everything we put out there is vetted through all of us,” he said. “Somebody has an idea for a tweet, they type it out, they send it to everybody else and we say, ‘That’s good!’ or ‘Change this thing.’”

The basic rules are simple: no profanity, no violence—actual, symbolic, or implied—and no ad-hominem attacks. Personal digs are cheap, dirty, and counterproductive. Chiding politicians is the trickiest thicket to navigate: they want to call out bad behavior quick and hard, but they can’t get too personal or derisive, especially when their targets are Republicans. Their opponents are adversaries, not enemies. Matt Deitsch took a hold of his dog tag to illustrate the point. He was wearing No. 6, but this they had gleaned from No. 3: “Nonviolence seeks to defeat injustice, not people.”

I remember some chatter on Twitter early on reminding everyone that these guys were going to make mistakes, they are human, they are kids, and we have to be careful not to jump all over them.

We should've known better. They've grown up with the internet and social media. They know how mistakes can blow up. They've been careful.

Interesting to read that Vanity Fair piece after the March and realize the risk they took spreading the message. It paid off. All the marches went off well. No incidents. Plenty of great speakers.

Love that Hogg is taking a gap year. That kid is dynamic. I hope they can keep up the momentum when they get to college. I hope they end up in my classes. I teach one Douglas alum now.

One more thing. The prospects of these kids producing a documentary from their own videos of the event is interesting. It would obviously be hard to watch but if that’s what they need to do to grieve and get people to understand their struggle, go for it.

Last edited:
INSIDE THE SECRET MEME LAB DESIGNED TO PROPEL #NEVERAGAIN BEYOND THE MARCH

They've had two recent grads basically working on this full time.

I remember some chatter on Twitter early on reminding everyone that these guys were going to make mistakes, they are human, they are kids, and we have to be careful not to jump all over them.

We should've known better. They've grown up with the internet and social media. They know how mistakes can blow up. They've been careful.

Palma says social media advertising content is a waste of time and money. It doesn't work.

evangelicals' approval with Trump up in the most recent polls.

Trump could hire a hooker, bang her doggie-style on live national television, then smack her rump with a King James Bible and snort coke off her back, and Franklin Graham and Jerry Falwell, Jr. would tweet that he had been set up by the Clintons, Soros, and other pagan LibDems, that he was still doing God's work appointing right-wing judges, and therefore should be forgiven. Oh, and that the hooker should be stoned to death, per the Old Testament. And his rube base would insist on facebook and other social media that the video was fake, while secretly wishing that they could bang hookers and do blow off their back and spank them with Bibles. I do think in the long run that evangelicals are killing themselves by supporting this crap, but for right now they're all in.

Last edited:
Back