• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Co-DPOY in SEC comes out

So in about two months there will be an openly gay player in the NFL.

I'd add that, while I'm usually in the camp of not making a big deal over athletes coming out (because the world will be a better place when it isn't a big deal), it's especially ballsy of him to come out at this point in time due to the upcoming draft.

Last edited:
Important moment for a lot of different reasons. Lot of stereotypes upended by this guy. Glad his teammates and family are supportive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I saw this. Honestly I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel, but I think this guy will have it a lot easier than a non-athlete would when it comes time to tell the world they're gay. If this guy gets discriminated against and it becomes public, the discriminator gets crucified (as they should, but it wouldn't always get exposed if this wasn't a high profile person). There will be a lot more scrutiny on every single NFL team who looked at this dude. Even teams who didn't even consider this guy before he came out... if his stats are better (whatever combine metrics they use) if this kid's are better, and an NFL team takes somebody else who had worse metrics, that team is going to get questioned hardcore.

After the Incognito / Martin stuff, if a single person even says one word to this guy (not even a homophobic joke, but even giving him a hard time / normal rookie stuff) and it comes out in the media, that person will get absolutely crucified. This kid is going to have all of the support in the world, and he'll probably have enough to get a TV special or a movie or a book or at minimum some Ellen and Oprah interviews. Yes, I think it takes courage to come out and tell the world that you're gay. But I think it takes way more courage for your everyday Joe to come out and really face potential negative ramifications. For this SEC all star player he really doesn't have any potential downside. Under this type of microscope nobody will get away with any sort of bullying or discrimination, which is great for this guy. (side note, by the same transitive property, to that kicker from Minnesota, I'm pretty sure that you just got dropped and nobody else signed you because they determined you can't kick at the NFL level... not because of your orientation or opinion).

Would be interested to see where this guy was in the pre-come out mock drafts and the post come out mock drafts. I'm guessing it won't affect his status much one way or another which is the way it should be. Hopefully the example he sets will help other non-stars feel more comfortable admitting their true sexuality to the world. But I truly believe this dude has it way easier than most when it comes to announcing sexuality and gaining acceptance.

and I absolutely agree with the "WGAF" and the "why is this breaking news"

I saw this. Honestly I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel, but I think this guy will have it a lot easier than a non-athlete would when it comes time to tell the world they're gay. If this guy gets discriminated against and it becomes public, the discriminator gets crucified (as they should, but it wouldn't always get exposed if this wasn't a high profile person). There will be a lot more scrutiny on every single NFL team who looked at this dude. Even teams who didn't even consider this guy before he came out... if his stats are better (whatever combine metrics they use) if this kid's are better, and an NFL team takes somebody else who had worse metrics, that team is going to get questioned hardcore.

After the Incognito / Martin stuff, if a single person even says one word to this guy (not even a homophobic joke, but even giving him a hard time / normal rookie stuff) and it comes out in the media, that person will get absolutely crucified. This kid is going to have all of the support in the world, and he'll probably have enough to get a TV special or a movie or a book or at minimum some Ellen and Oprah interviews. Yes, I think it takes courage to come out and tell the world that you're gay. But I think it takes way more courage for your everyday Joe to come out and really face potential negative ramifications. For this SEC all star player he really doesn't have any potential downside. Under this type of microscope nobody will get away with any sort of bullying or discrimination, which is great for this guy. (side note, by the same transitive property, to that kicker from Minnesota, I'm pretty sure that you just got dropped and nobody else signed you because they determined you can't kick at the NFL level... not because of your orientation or opinion).

Would be interested to see where this guy was in the pre-come out mock drafts and the post come out mock drafts. I'm guessing it won't affect his status much one way or another which is the way it should be. Hopefully the example he sets will help other non-stars feel more comfortable admitting their true sexuality to the world. But I truly believe this dude has it way easier than most when it comes to announcing sexuality and gaining acceptance.

I think you are vastly underestimating the importance of this. He is going to be the first openly gay male athlete in one of the most homophobic cultures in America...football. This took courage that most of us know nothing about.

Didn't we have this "I DON'T GET WHY THIS IS BREAKING NEWS DERP" discussion when Jason Collins came out?

Because it's the first guy who will be openly gay while he is playing professional football. That's why it's a big deal. Because he's the first. Like when Jackie Robinson was the first black guy in baseball. The first is always remembered and significant.

Ugh c'mon Phonz stop it with this stuff

Alphonso Smith ‏@AlphonsoSmith2 4m
LZ Granderson writer for ESPN-said,"WELCOME TO THE PARTY in response to Sam's openly gay announcement, HA" you meant WELCOME TO DEVIL HELL

Ugh c'mon Phonz stop it with this stuff

Alphonso Smith ‏@AlphonsoSmith2 4m
LZ Granderson writer for ESPN-said,"WELCOME TO THE PARTY in response to Sam's openly gay announcement, HA" you meant WELCOME TO DEVIL HELL

oh lord. if espn picks up on this, it is just going to make fun of phons.

HUGE deal...takes incredible courage to do what he's doing, and I admire him for doing it before the combine/draft/etc instead of waiting until after.

Awesome!

Phonz with a whole string of tweets about it. But, don't worry.

Alphonso Smith ‏@AlphonsoSmith2 5m
But who am I kidding, the word forewarn us all that this day will come! Enjoy people... I am not judging just saying!

He's not judging.

Oh Phonsy.

Alphonso Smith ‏@AlphonsoSmith2 8m
Why are people celebrating the work of the DEVIL? I am confused! We all fall short of God's commandments, but lets not celebrate the SIN!

Chris Kluwe, the Minnesota "kicker" (actually punter) in 2012 ranked 17th in average distance (45.0 yards) and next to last for punts inside the 20 yard line. He was 31, in the last year of his contract and scheduled to make 1.45 million in 2013. By releasing him the Vikings incurred no salary cap hit.

The punter who replaced him, Jeff Locke, averaged .8 yards less per punt and made $405,000 this year, a savings of over a million dollars.

This type of change takes place hundreds of times each off season. No team is going to keep a mediocre at best punter when they can save a large chunk for the salary cap. Of course when people make accusations - rape, sexual harassment, gay discrimination....the accused always takes the hit, justified or not.

I'm sick of hearing about the whole thing. If the guy is gay fine, live your life that way openly. It seems as if everyone already knew he was gay and accepted it, so enough with the press conferences - I don't care and my bet is most of the country doesn't either.

Ugh...I hate when some of my favorite athletes open their mouths and make me change my entire opinion of them.

haha, check out mebanedeac's son:

DeacsWin ‏@GrantHendrix 16m
So I am supposed to celebrate Michael Sam b/c he is gay?? Sorry. Will not celebrate a lifestyle that God clearly says is wrong.

DeacsWin ‏@GrantHendrix 1m
@AlphonsoSmith2 Be prepared to be called a hater and intolerant b/c you will not approve of a lifestyle that God condemns.

Back