• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Co-DPOY in SEC comes out

Chris Kluwe, the Minnesota "kicker" (actually punter) in 2012 ranked 17th in average distance (45.0 yards) and next to last for punts inside the 20 yard line. He was 31, in the last year of his contract and scheduled to make 1.45 million in 2013. By releasing him the Vikings incurred no salary cap hit.

The punter who replaced him, Jeff Locke, averaged .8 yards less per punt and made $405,000 this year, a savings of over a million dollars.

This type of change takes place hundreds of times each off season. No team is going to keep a mediocre at best punter when they can save a large chunk for the salary cap. Of course when people make accusations - rape, sexual harassment, gay discrimination....the accused always takes the hit, justified or not.

I'm sick of hearing about the whole thing. If the guy is gay fine, live your life that way openly. It seems as if everyone already knew he was gay and accepted it, so enough with the press conferences - I don't care and my bet is most of the country doesn't either.

Chris Kluwe isn't gay

RIP Phonz's reporting gig

Am I the only person who immediately thought of the draft party episode of Party Down?

Chris Kluwe isn't gay

I know that. He was an incessant advocate for gay marriage and claims he was released because of that. He was referenced in a post by Brendan I think.

The last paragraph of my original post was actually about the topic at hand. Poor transition on my part probably made that hard to understand.

I like that Coach Scheier retweeted this:

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 40m
Guess Michael Sam coming out to his teammates before the season didn't hurt the locker room. #Mizzou went from 5-7 to 12-2.

Kluwe may or may not have been cut because of the views about which he was so outspoken. Either way, if what he said happened in meetings with coaches and front office people actually happened (and IMO there's no reason to believe it didn't), then it's clear Sam is entering into a potentially pretty hostile work environment. That's undeniable and ultimately more important than the reason Kluwe was cut.

Kluwe may or may not have been cut because of the views about which he was so outspoken. Either way, if what he said happened in meetings with coaches and front office people actually happened (and IMO there's no reason to believe it didn't), then it's clear Sam is entering into a potentially pretty hostile work environment. That's undeniable and ultimately more important than the reason Kluwe was cut.

Absolutely. And to claim it will actually help him is absurd.

Good post. And who knows if the Vikings would have spent a 5th rounder on a punter if Kluwe had kept his mouth shut. Impossible to know what impact it had.

His outspoken nature could have shifted the Vikings mindset from ¨if an opportunity presents itself to save money off the veterans minimum at the punter position we should look into it¨ to ¨we need a new punter, let's spend a 5th to make sure we can move on¨

Last edited:
Shut up, Alphonso. You look like an ignorant fool. Here's hoping Sam has 10x the NFL career you did. (Won't be that difficult.)

I really wish I could have a conversation with Alphonso. Why is he so adamantly opposed to homosexuality? Don't give me this "celebrating sin" bullshit. The bible teaches agents excess way more than homosexuality and something tells me he is not as upset of the celebrated bling culture. Why pick out homosexuality as the reason we are headed to hell? I would bet if he were open to a conversation about it he would become uncomfortable with the reason(a) he is such a strong anti-homosexual.

Last edited:
I'm sick of hearing about the whole thing. If the guy is gay fine, live your life that way openly. It seems as if everyone already knew he was gay and accepted it, so enough with the press conferences - I don't care and my bet is most of the country doesn't either.

I think he did the press conference and the interviews not for you and most of the country, he did it so that he could create the narrative for his future employers. Instead of them hearing rumors and gossip about him, he gets to go ahead and put all his cards on the table.

Shut up, Alphonso. You look like an ignorant fool. Here's hoping Sam has 10x the NFL career you did. (Won't be that difficult.)

Actually, it sort of will. While Mr. Smith didn't have a great NFL career, 8 interceptions and 2 tds over 4 years is better than the average NFL draftee.

His post is still sad and stupid, however. Hope his boss doesn't can him because of it...

Good post. And who knows if the Vikings would have spent a 5th rounder on a punter if Kluwe had kept his mouth shut. Impossible to know what impact it had.

His outspoken nature could have shifted the Vikings mindset from ¨if an opportunity presents itself to save money off the veterans minimum at the punter position we should look into it¨ to ¨we need a new punter, let's spend a 5th to make sure we can move on¨

If Kluwe had been an outspoken advocate opposing gay marriage, do you think it would've been different. If in fact his advocacy had any influence on the Vikings moving on from him ( I don't believe it did - his production wasn't good, his salary was high and he was an older player) I think it was his outspokenness and not the position he advocated. He was asked to stop and he didn't. I'm a business owner and If I had an employee that was recognized and associated publicly with my company and they were outspoken in a political way from any point of view, I would ask them to stop and if they didn't I would find a replacement.

I really wish I could have a conversation with Alphonso. Why is he so adamantly opposed to homosexuality? Don't give me this "celebrating sin" bullshit. The bible teaches agents access way more than homosexuality and something tells me he is not as upset of the celebrated bling culture. Why pick out homosexuality as the reason we are headed to hell. I would bet if he were open to a conversation about it he would become uncomfortable for the reason(a) he is such a strong anti-homosexual.

My experience is that most Holy Roller bigots who "cite" the Bible haven't actually, you know, read it.

hahahaha

Drew Brown ‏@DrewBrownNCAtty 36s
@AlphonsoSmith2 Love u bud for always standing up for your beliefs. No shame in that. #Pride.

Will his draft stock drop enough to the Panthers to pick him up in the mid-rounds to replace Hardy if we let him go?

Thanks.

Actually, it sort of will. While Mr. Smith didn't have a great NFL career, 8 interceptions and 2 tds over 4 years is better than the average NFL draftee.

His post is still sad and stupid, however. Hope his boss doesn't can him because of it...

Don't forget a nationally-televised roasting courtesy of Tom Brady, but I guess that doesn't show up on his hard stats.

Back