• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coach Grobe ain't too happy

hahaha

In the spring of 2006, long before the OB, we had Abbate, Vallos, Curry...all those dudes showed up to practice in the spring NO MATTER WHAT.

The o line is a bunch of pansies right now.

Im not a huge fan of the old school approach. Obviously the coach needs to use their discretion to discern who is injured and who is just bruised up but its this kind of talk of challenging a guy's manhood that leads to players doing dangerous things like trying to play through concussions and serious injuries. These players have scholarships so I expect them to do their best but ten years from now when the vast majority of these guys arent in the NFL where is Grobe or WF going to be when they have jacked up shoulder/knees/ankles?

Dude in my high school team broke his collar bone and the trainer had to literally take his pads and helmet away from him.

There is hurt and there is injured. If you can't make it through spring ball you're not making it through a 12 game season.

Chicks dig scars. Rub some dirt on it and get in the game. I have no problem with Grobe calling them out. In fact, it's exactly what I want.

After a piss poor season last year Grobe is crawling in their shit and people want to complain he is being too tough on them. Old school is a better school when it comes to sports.

"Grobe remains pleased with the defense while being frustrated with the offense."

Frustrated with the O?

Welcome to the club, Coach.

Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't you be more careful with guys during spring practice? If you are hurt during the season and you play through pain, at least you are out on the field. If you hurt yourself more, you are doing it to try and help your team win. If you play through an injury in spring practice and seriously hurt yourself, you aren't prepared once real games start. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I cannot believe that Grobe is being criticized on this one! This is football!. Football is a contact sport. If you don't want to feel pain and play through it, play golf or tennis. If you are going to play football, be tough and fight through the pain. With today's training and medical staffs Grobe is not going to place a player in jeopardy by requiring them to play when his staff tells him the injury is serious or threatening. You cannot force a player to play if he says he is in pain and cannot make it...not today. If Grobe were truly "old school", he would force the wusses to play or kick them off the team. You can't get by with that today, so he must motivate by challenging their wills. The players must want to play. It is sad really.

It doesn't bode well for this season. In football the toughest guys normally come out on top.

WF22890 - I don't discount what you said about the crutches. However, Grobe did say he doesn't want guys who are injured to practice. I don't know what all information you have but you also have to consider what the medical staff is telling Grobe and realize you're only getting one perspective from the players. Also, you are referring to a few players. Grobe was not specific on who he thinks is injured and who he thinks is just milking it. In the Army, we made a regular habit of getting on the cases of guys even if they were legitimately injured. It wasn't about discounting their injury but about creating a mindset that encouraged them to return as soon as they were healed and not to try and ride the injury out more than was necessary (which was a problem with some people). It is a fine line between creating a mindset to suck it up or to return too early and risk further injury. However, I trust Grobe. He's been doing this for a while and is not known for his players having a higher rate of injury than any other program.

So our OL is bunch a pussies? Yeah I might want to rethink getting season tickets, because this cannot not be a good thing.

OK I actually read the article...Not a whole lot to see here folks. It's not like Grobe calls anybody out in particular. Hell he even credits Pendergrass for showing up everyday. I don't exactly see what he did that was so extreme.

Grobe = Parcells??? I like it and it is a good sign. Parcells hates "training room" guys. I'm pretty sure that when asked about Terry Glenn one season that Parcells responded that he, " . . . wasn't sure if she [Glenn] would play." Grobe isn't going to let anyone play that isn't cleared by the medical staff. I think he is just sending a message that if the team wants to improve - players gotta play. I trust Grobe to do the right thing by our players. We need less training room guys and more guys that play in practice like they do in the games.

Dude in my high school team broke his collar bone and the trainer had to literally take his pads and helmet away from him.

There is hurt and there is injured. If you can't make it through spring ball you're not making it through a 12 game season.

This. This shouldn't even big a very big deal, he's just using it as motivation for the guys to suck up the small stuff and play through it. Obviously if you're on crutches the head coach isn't going to expect you to be out there.

I am really concerned about our running backs. What kind of running back can you be if you are afraid of getting hit/hurt?

I'm pretty sure Grobe knows the difference between "hurt" and "injured". Nothing to see here.

mebane, welcome to the OGBoards.

It's all about mentality. Grobe isn't going to let anybody play that is seriously injured. He is trying to make the team tougher because apparently the players were soft last year/at the start of this year. Nothing really to see here at all imo.

A lot of the injuries you get simply can't (or shouldn't) be played through. If the injury can't get any worse and it's a pain thing, then I think the guy should be out there. If it's something like a concussion, sprained ankle, twisted knee, dislocated shoulder, or something like that then I don't get the complaint.

Grobe has made a point over the past few years to say this time and time again and I fail to get it everytime. If a guy is too hurt to play then he's too hurt to play. He obviously knows more about it then we do, but like I said I've known guys who have had a severely sprained ankle which is swollen to the size of an orange and Grobe has gotten on their case.

This team blew last year. He made it clear. He said, some guys are injured, and some guys are just "content to miss practice"

And another thing that I've seen Grobe get mad at, that wasn't mentioned in the article, is guys missing Morning Therapy if they are hurt to sleep in. If you are hurt, get in, get treatment, get better. There could be more behind the story than being mad at a guy with a sprained ankle.

And every team has injuries. Those that practice through them, learn the techniques and schemes will be the good ones. Those that don't want to tough out a minor sprain or bruise lose.

This team blew last year. He made it clear. He said, some guys are injured, and some guys are just "content to miss practice"

And another thing that I've seen Grobe get mad at, that wasn't mentioned in the article, is guys missing Morning Therapy if they are hurt to sleep in. If you are hurt, get in, get treatment, get better. There could be more behind the story than being mad at a guy with a sprained ankle.

And every team has injuries. Those that practice through them, learn the techniques and schemes will be the good ones. Those that don't want to tough out a minor sprain or bruise lose.

That makes a ton of sense, SDeacz. Thanks for your insight.

There is also a difference between being hurt, suiting up for practice, and being around the guys, hearing the play calls and doing what individual/team stuff you can do. Rather than standing on the sideline in shorts with a hat on joking with the dumb punters and kickers.

Back