• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coaching Search Digest *Welcome Coach Manning!**

Do you really think Wellman is pushing that? Look higher..

I don't think he was pushing culture bs at ND. I really think Ron looked at Davidson and thought we could replicate that in the ACC. And he still might believe it.

Maya needs to realize winston is better than richmond. Shaka, get your woman in line.

This whole thing is taking too long. I would guess that RW must be waiting to see what happens this weekend. That leads me to believe that nether Shaka nor Howland is Ron's first choice. Just hope he doesn't wait around until all the good coaches are gone or pissed off and being 2nd or 3rd choice.

Word on campus is Shaka is concerned about recruiting restrictions and whether he could have a competitive ACC team.

As someone actually on campus, no, this is not the word on campus.

Edit: Looks like others have backed up this on other threads. It may be true, but during these trying times we should be very clear with what's speculation, what's a #scoop, and specifically who/what and how reliable our #sources are.

Last edited:
This whole thing is taking too long. I would guess that RW must be waiting to see what happens this weekend. That leads me to believe that nether Shaka nor Howland is Ron's first choice. Just hope he doesn't wait around until all the good coaches are gone or pissed off and being 2nd or 3rd choice.

This is just incorrect.

The fact that Shaka, to my knowledge, hasn't publicly turned down an obvious offer from wake, after some time, is a good thing. Now I don't want it going much longer, but time with the offer on his plate means to me it's somewhat possible.

I hear that a big sticking point for Shaka is that Ron isn't willing to make a clean break with all the tie dye crap.

Why do we know so Little! The silence from everyone is fucking killing me and my productivity

As someone actually on campus, no, this is not the word on campus.

Edit: Looks like others have backed up this on other threads. It may be true, but during these trying times we should be very clear with what's speculation, what's a #scoop, and specifically who/what and how reliable our #sources are.

Sounds like you're out of touch with what's happening on campus. Going to file that away for later use.

The fact that Shaka, to my knowledge, hasn't publicly turned down an obvious offer from wake, after some time, is a good thing. Now I don't want it going much longer, but time with the offer on his plate means to me it's somewhat possible.

Has any real media source reported that Wake has made an offer to Shaka? He is under absolutely no pressure to turn down anything publicly until the offer is, in fact, public.

No one. Because that is who it will be if RW doesn't pull the trigger on Smart or Howland.

Has any real media source reported that Wake has made an offer to Shaka? He is under absolutely no pressure to turn down anything publicly until the offer is, in fact, public.

Of course, I know that literally everything is speculation. I should have said, assuming he has an offer.. Etc.. Just trying to point out that no word yet isn't necessarily a bad thing.. Basically, like others have said, everything means nothing right now bc there are no hard facts to start baselining scenarios.

What does the new Goodman espn insider article say? Similar rumors to what we have already seen?

What does the new Goodman espn insider article say? Similar rumors to what we have already seen?

From Goodman (insider article)

Wake Forest Demon Deacons

Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman failed miserably with his last hire -- good friend Jeff [Redacted]. He needs to not only win games, but also win the news conference.

The Demon Deacons are also making a play for Smart -- and why not? While Wake won't offer the financial package of Marquette, it can offer the fact it plays in the best league in the country and it's also had success under Skip Prosser and Dino Gaudio.

But this search is close to the vest. That's how Wellman operates. There's been contact, per sources, with Xavier's Chris Mack, but there have been other names floated around -- Tulsa's Danny Manning and even Texas Tech's Tubby Smith.

Marquette Golden Eagles

After Buzz Williams jumped to Virginia Tech, the big question is where Marquette goes to replace a coach who led the program to five NCAA tournament appearances in his six seasons.

Coaching Changes
Jeff Goodman logs who's out and who's in heading into 2014-15. Story

Despite not having a permanent athletic director -- and finally hiring a full-time president earlier in the week -- the Golden Eagles took a swing at VCU's Shaka Smart.

Smart is a Wisconsin native and Marquette has deep pockets. Sources told ESPN that the program, which was slated to pay Williams $3 million this season, is tossing around a figure in excess of that number to try and lure Smart -- who has declined several high-major gigs in the last few years.

When Marquette finally moves on, there are several candidates in play: Former UCLA coach Ben Howland is in the mix, as is Syracuse coach-in-waiting Mike Hopkins and former Marquette player and assistant Brian Wardle -- who is currently the head coach at Green Bay.

Remember, this is a program that hired a virtual unknown in Williams after Tom Crean left for Indiana -- and it paid off. There's also another mystery candidate, sources told ESPN, that is still playing in the NCAA tournament.

Back