• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coaching staff took the last 6 weeks off.

Well, we had a better season this year than last. But I think I feel worse about it since we seemed to leave so much on the field. So much woulda-coulda-shoulda. Then there's last night...:mad:

Coaching staff and players alike ought to be embarrassed. From earlier post-game comments from players and coaches, I felt like the guys were too satisfied with the early-season successes. Too bad.

If Harris could run back kicks he could have played last night. He lobbied on the sidelines to get in the game- not that it would have made the difference in winning- but I hope the iron chains of the Grobe Doghouse of Doom does not ruin him for next year.

I am very concerned about him leaving...

Well, we had a better season this year than last. But I think I feel worse about it since we seemed to leave so much on the field. So much woulda-coulda-shoulda. Then there's last night...:mad:

Coaching staff and players alike ought to be embarrassed. From earlier post-game comments from players and coaches, I felt like the guys were too satisfied with the early-season successes. Too bad.

Just about every single loss from last year was like last night.

Actually, we were rallying, down 5 early second half, crowd going crazy, Strickland steals and clangs the uncontested reverse slam off the back rim. One pass to Redick for a triple, and the air went out of the building.

That one bone-headed, prima donna, recklessly undisciplined play was the epitome of the Prosser-Gaudio Era, an era of Flash and Trash that produced not one single trip to the Final Four or even the Elite 8, despite some of the best talent ever to suit up for Wake Forest University.

Grobe should give back his weekly paycheck for last night's performance. He always says it starts with him. Anyone making > $2 million a year should be ashamed his team was that unmotivated, unprepared, outplayed, and outcoached.

"I just thought we were a football team that didn't have a spark, and that's my fault," Grobe said. "That's the coaches' fault.

"It starts with the players. It's the players' fault No. 1 because they've got to be ready to go. They've got to go out and play hard every week."

What?

NCState "came to play" yesterday.
Duke "came to play" yesterday.
But Wake did not even suit up. Embarrassing.

I agree with just about everything said here. However when you think about it a football player goes through 4 weeks of spring practice, year round strength and conditioning, 2 a days in August and at least 5 days of practice during the season; all to play only 12 games a year. How the hell can you not be motivated to play every play of every game like your hair is on fire? I just get so sick of these "we were flat", "we had no intensity", "we didn't playhard", etc.

I realize the coaches have to have them prepared, have a game plan and try to put them into a position to win, etc. I also understand some teams are simply more talented and things like penalties and turn overs happen. However, as as been pointed out, we played very few(if any) complete games this year and didn't even show up in at least two.

Sorry for the length, but my question to my fellow posters is how responsibile is the coach for getting players mentally ready to play? How responsibile are the players for playing every down of every game with enthusiasm and intensity? Whatever the problem is, we are missing something. You don't see the top tier teams taking games off. I get livid when I hear a Wake Forest player(given our history) wsaying they took someone lightly.

Vent over, would truly like some opinions on the subject.

i honestly think that our team is still young (inconsistent) in a lot of places and the fact the coaches have us going to a bowl and competitive in every game but two is good on them and bodes well for next year.

i honestly think that our team is still young (inconsistent) in a lot of places and the fact the coaches have us going to a bowl and competitive in every game but two is good on them and bodes well for next year.
Agreed and I think this gets lost on a lot of people in the wake of a game like last night. We are still young and we are not a deep team. I think we simply wore down over the last several weeks and had already acheived our preseason goal of making a bowl game. Not surprised we had a let down. Maybe next year we will have a bye week later in the year.

Next year's OOC schedule should see us go 3-1 (probably not winning in South bend). We have a good shot to go 4-0 in conference at home with BC, Clemson, UNC, and Duke. Get a win on the road amongst MD, FSU, NCSU, and UVa and we have a shot at a good season.

Agreed and I think this gets lost on a lot of people in the wake of a game like last night. We are still young and we are not a deep team. I think we simply wore down over the last several weeks and had already acheived our preseason goal of making a bowl game. Not surprised we had a let down. Maybe next year we will have a bye week later in the year.

Next year's OOC schedule should see us go 3-1 (probably not winning in South bend). We have a good shot to go 4-0 in conference at home with BC, Clemson, UNC, and Duke. Get a win on the road amongst MD, FSU, NCSU, and UVa and we have a shot at a good

Wake will have a tough time if Grobe can't do a better job of coaching during the game. He and Lobo did a dreadful job of making adjustments during the games the last 6 weeks. In fact Wake has sucked the last three years in October and November, the team has gotten worse as the season went along. To me this a big problem, I am glad Wake is going to a bowl, but looking how bad the acc, and Syracuse is, Wake should have done better. Yesterday's performance was disgraceful and the coaching is to blame. I don't see Wake ever getting much above 500 with Lobo. The line has not developed and the sad thing is Grobe is loyal and won't ever do anything about it, so ultimately Grobe is to blame

Last edited:
I don't disagree Goolsby, there are issues. I think our fades in OCtober/November are due to a number of things, including depth, coaching adjustments, and adjustments by other teams. We made some tweaks this past season and it resulted in double the wins. Make a few more tweaks this offseason and lets see where we go. The schedule is there for the taking, all a matter of what we do with it.

I agree with just about everything said here. However when you think about it a football player goes through 4 weeks of spring practice, year round strength and conditioning, 2 a days in August and at least 5 days of practice during the season; all to play only 12 games a year. How the hell can you not be motivated to play every play of every game like your hair is on fire? I just get so sick of these "we were flat", "we had no intensity", "we didn't playhard", etc.

I realize the coaches have to have them prepared, have a game plan and try to put them into a position to win, etc. I also understand some teams are simply more talented and things like penalties and turn overs happen. However, as as been pointed out, we played very few(if any) complete games this year and didn't even show up in at least two.

Sorry for the length, but my question to my fellow posters is how responsibile is the coach for getting players mentally ready to play? How responsibile are the players for playing every down of every game with enthusiasm and intensity? Whatever the problem is, we are missing something. You don't see the top tier teams taking games off. I get livid when I hear a Wake Forest player(given our history) wsaying they took someone lightly.

Vent over, would truly like some opinions on the subject.

Top tier teams have top tier coaches who don't accept less. When a player like Kenny Okoro has multiple brain farts during the course of a game and doesn't get yanked for any significant period of time, that's on the coach. Grobe sets the bar for acceptable behavior. It kills me when he talks about the players not being motivated or whatever. He and his staff put the players on the field. If Player X isn't playing with his hair on fire, then put Player Y into the game. If the whole team isn't committed then that's an even bigger problem.

Right on PH

Top tier teams have top tier coaches who don't accept less. When a player like Kenny Okoro has multiple brain farts during the course of a game and doesn't get yanked for any significant period of time, that's on the coach. Grobe sets the bar for acceptable behavior. It kills me when he talks about the players not being motivated or whatever. He and his staff put the players on the field. If Player X isn't playing with his hair on fire, then put Player Y into the game. If the whole team isn't committed then that's an even bigger problem.

Okoro kills me, don't believe the hype. He should have had some time outs this year. He was lit on fire a lot this year.

Good...would lovebird nothing more than for him to pull a Givens, escape the doghouse and have a monster junior year.

Next year's OOC schedule should see us go 3-1 (probably not winning in South bend). We have a good shot to go 4-0 in conference at home with BC, Clemson, UNC, and Duke. Get a win on the road amongst MD, FSU, NCSU, and UVa and we have a shot at a good

Wake will have a tough time if Grobe can't do a better job of coaching during the game. He and Lobo did a dreadful job of making adjustments during the games the last 6 weeks. In fact Wake has sucked the last three years in October and November, the team has gotten worse as the season went along. To me this a big problem, I am glad Wake is going to a bowl, but looking how bad the acc, and Syracuse is, Wake should have done better. Yesterday's performance was disgraceful and the coaching is to blame. I don't see Wake ever getting much above 500 with Lobo. The line has not developed and the sad thing is Grobe is loyal and won't ever do anything about it, so ultimately Grobe is to blame

A Wake Forest football coach is getting "blamed" for going .500. I think he should get "credit" for going .500 with this schedule.

I am very concerned about him leaving...

he would be absolutely crazy to leave with what time he has on the plate next year no where else would he get that opp.

I personally think Grobe is just trying to put fuel on the fire and make J-Roc hungry that is all Josh is lacking, the desire.

Back