• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coincidence

Saw a childhood friends dad at a Wal-Mart in Eagle River, Alaska back in 2004. Easily takes the cake for me.

Coming in second happened a few weeks back. Went out with two of my friends to Temple Bar our first night in Dublin. The place was at capacity and the only place to stand was in a small doorway near the live music room. Overheard some chicks talking beside us and knew they were American. Ask them where they are from and they say Durham, NC. Turns out we all have mutual friends and have been at the same sporting events/concerts before on a few different instances. While making a big commotion with these girls, another couple walks up and the girl asks where we are from. She said she knew we were from the south because of our accents and that shes from Raleigh. She was visiting Ireland with her boyfriend she met studying abroad in Balckpool, England (WTF?). So the first 5 people we met in Ireland were from NC.

In 2004, I spent 3 weeks in China. On the final leg of my flight home (O'Hare to Greensboro) there was this woman sitting behind me, talking to the man next to her. She was from NC and had married a guy from China. She and her 2 small children were traveling to NC to spend the rest of the summer with her family. She talked the entire flight and had this amazing Southern accent. After hearing her entire life story, I almost felt like I knew her.

2 weeks later, my wife and I were at Emerald Isle beach. We had stopped at a gas station and while I was pumping the gas, I saw the woman from the plane get out of the car beside ours. I wasn't completely sure it was her, but when I went inside to pay, I heard her talking to the clerk. I recognized her voice instantly.

You should have freaked her out with details from her life story.

About 10 yrs ago, I was living in W-S and my brother was in ATL. I was on a biz trip...connecting in Cincinnati...and lo and behold, there was my brother waiting for a flight.

My wife, who I met via match.com in Alabama 3 years ago, grew up in New York 20 minutes from where I grew up, half a mile from where my cousins live, and her 7th grade English teach was my sister's AAU basketball coach...that guy went to college and played basketball at Marist with my dad's little brother. There are more coincidences and strange connections with her, like we frequented the same diner in high school in the 90s, but the AAU coach coincidence is pretty crazy to me.

One of the guys responsible for hiring me, who as it so happens now works for me, is married to a girl whose grandfather won a national championship while playing lacrosse at Dartmouth on a team with my great uncle

My father worked with a guy at a company in a small town in NC in the '70s. I met the man and his family (I was 9-11 yo at the time). He had a daughter my older sister's age. We had dinner at their house. We played basketball in the back yard.

Fast forward 20+ years. I worked with a guy at a large company in the RTP in NC. It took a while for us to make the connection but it turned out that he had married (and divorced) the daughter of the man my dad used to work with. We swapped stories about the family, etc. Pretty cool...

I have seen statistics in the past that show that all of these amazing coincidences aren't really that amazing at all and are, in fact, bound to happen. They are still cool when they happen to you.

My father worked with a guy at a company in a small town in NC in the '70s. I met the man and his family (I was 9-11 yo at the time). He had a daughter my older sister's age. We had dinner at their house. We played basketball in the back yard.

Fast forward 20+ years. I worked with a guy at a large company in the RTP in NC. It took a while for us to make the connection but it turned out that he had married (and divorced) the daughter of the man my dad used to work with. We swapped stories about the family, etc. Pretty cool...

I have seen statistics in the past that show that all of these amazing coincidences aren't really that amazing at all and are, in fact, bound to happen. They are still cool when they happen to you.

You watch Big Bang Theory, eh? :)

Back