• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

I don't see a reason to NOT use this model with bball. I just see reasons FOR it for baseball. But maybe it went over my head.

Without a full minor league system, the NBA can't implement a baseball model. It takes multiple stops for HSers to make to the majors. Currently, there is only one option in basketball.

Without a full minor league system, the NBA can't implement a baseball model. It takes multiple stops for HSers to make to the majors. Currently, there is only one option in basketball.

That's why I'm possibly suggesting going to the baseball model to give another option for basketball players. Legitimate option i.e. full farm system. Draft them, and put them on your farm team. When they are ready to help the team, move them up.

Why? Pitino et all threw the baby out already, and others will fall in behind him for years and years if the massive opening for a black market isn't taken away.

Turning college basketball into college baseball is getting rid of what's good about college hoops to chase some culture change. The better solution is to welcome the black market money in legally and use it to pay athletes.

Turning college basketball into college baseball is getting rid of what's good about college hoops to chase some culture change. The better solution is to welcome the black market money in legally and use it to pay athletes.

Which is what would effectively make college basketball a minor league. 'Cause you're sure as hell not going to pay kids on the track team or the soccer team.

Ph, we disagree on this topic then. I see your point though in your first sentence. But I think we are to a point now that we can't have college basketball the way we want it anymore.

But if the better solution is paying athletes, tell me how you can do that and not run into dead end after dead end.

It would be a waste because I've explained it several times and no one remembers.

Someone wants to make a splash at the FBI so there's a three year investigation including wire taps, multiple schools, multiple coaches, a VP from Adidas, and double digit indictments?

I mean...maybe, but that's not likely.

Not about the comey nephew thing, but about the rest of it. Bribery? Gimme a break. College coaches get paid to pitch products. This is no different except that it's a violation of NCAA rules. NCAA rules are not federal law. On top of that, they can only go after you if you're employed as a public university employee, not private, which seems fundamentally unfair to me. Dollars to donuts the dude on the case is a big college hoops fan, kinda like the Novitski guy in the Balco case was a huge baseball homer.

I'm no expert in this area of the law, but, if a coach is taking money from an agent and/or a shoe company and then pushing a player to sign a contract with that agent and/or that shoe company without telling the player that he took that money, isn't that a fraud or misrepresentation of some kind? That's why they have the small print on commercials with celebrity endorsements stating that it is a 'paid endorsement'.

Last edited:
I'm no expert in this area of the law, but, if a coach is taking money from an agent and/or a shoe company and then pushing a player to sign a contract with that agent and/or that shoe company without telling the player that he took that money, isn't that a fraud or misrepresentation of some kind? That's why they have the small print on commercials with celebrity endorsements stating that it is a 'paid endorsement'.

If that coach works for a public school, the coach is a public official and is guilty of taking bribes. That is exactly what Chuck Person is accused of.

There is also precident for this. See the Albert Means case.

Heard the UNC slap on the wrist is being announced tomorrow.

Wrong thread. This is why I don't break news, just wind

Louisville's coaching staff is down to one: Padgett. The other two assistant coaches have put on leave after they have been implicated.

Louisville's coaching staff is down to one: Padgett. The other two assistant coaches have put on leave after they have been implicated.

Bigger question. Will Louisville even have a men's basketball program when this is all done? Seriously.

Bigger question. Will Louisville even have a men's basketball program when this is all done? Seriously.

It appears that the academic powers at UL have had enough embarrassing headlines. That judgement seems shared by most UL graduates, the city and corporate sponsorship. I expect the athletic department will see staff changes and a reordering of priorities. Time to clean house.

Back