• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

assuming this is a legit link, care to summarize for those who dont want to create a login?

One former high-major college coach who retains deep connections in the business said he believes the case will lead to 40 to 50 job openings for head and assistant coaches by the spring.

That would be significant.

Eh, then they all circle back in a few years when this dies down. The charges as actual crimes (and not just artificial NCAA violations) are tenuous, not many of these guys will end up in in prison. The others will develop a plea format to cop out of prosecution and be back in business like the MLB roiders.

Already, some coaches at schools not linked to the first round of charges have retained attorneys.

I thought that was interesting.

Most who plead out will be hit with a show cause ban for several years. The NCAA won't take the bad publicity going along with letting coaches who pled to federal crimes coach within another few years.

Pretty sure I read Brad Underwood had hired an attorney already but he had a (former) assistant arrested so it's probably a wise move.

I've been wondering why Arizona and Miami haven't gotten more scrutiny so far. We pretty much know that those two schools were directly tied to a bidding war for Nassir Little. It seems like Miller and Larranaga should be catching a lot of heat right now.

I've been wondering why Arizona and Miami haven't gotten more scrutiny so far. We pretty much know that those two schools were directly tied to a bidding war for Nassir Little. It seems like Miller and Larranaga should be catching a lot of heat right now.

As opposed to where he chose where they only cheated for at least a generation.

Most who plead out will be hit with a show cause ban for several years. The NCAA won't take the bad publicity going along with letting coaches who pled to federal crimes coach within another few years.

What world do you live in? The NCAA is the epitome of bad publicity, it doesn't matter. UNC is still playing sports. Miami is caught up in this, as they have with virtually every other scandal yet are still playing. Baylor still rolls along. Penn State is a top-5 team. Urban "Cell Block C Warden" Meyer spouts off about doing things the right way. Louisville is Louisville, again. The NCAA (like the NFL) prints money, they don't give two shits about bad publicity as long as their product justifies their TV contracts. Banning a large number of coaches hurts them a hell of a lot more than any temporary bad publicity that goes along with letting them coach.

http://newsok.com/article/5567594?utm_source=NewsOK.com&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=ShareBar-Twitter

" Oklahoma State University has received a subpoena from a New York grand jury asking for all documents and communications regarding "actual or potential NCAA rules violations" by players and coaches of the men's basketball team, The Oklahoman has learned.

The subpoena is linked to a college basketball bribery investigation that earlier led to the arrest of fired OSU assistant basketball coach Lamont Evans and some assistant coaches for other teams.

Evans was fired by the university after the scandal surfaced. He is charged with conspiracy to commit bribery and five other counts..."

Wonder if Brad Underwood is getting nervous

What world do you live in? The NCAA is the epitome of bad publicity, it doesn't matter. UNC is still playing sports. Miami is caught up in this, as they have with virtually every other scandal yet are still playing. Baylor still rolls along. Penn State is a top-5 team. Urban "Cell Block C Warden" Meyer spouts off about doing things the right way. Louisville is Louisville, again. The NCAA (like the NFL) prints money, they don't give two shits about bad publicity as long as their product justifies their TV contracts. Banning a large number of coaches hurts them a hell of a lot more than any temporary bad publicity that goes along with letting them coach.

How many of these cases have included a wide-spanning USAO investigation with double digit federal indictments?

I'll hang up and listen.

FWIW, Oklahoma State has always felt like a rogue athletic department. They hired Eddie Sutton after he almost ruined Kentucky and I cannot imagine he was clean there. They were always chock full of jucos (but well coached).

They replaced him with his son, then Travis Ford then Underwood. I don't know, I remember we played them in an NCAA tourney game one year (and lost, I think), and they struck me as some version of Baylor

You're correct that we lost to OSU in the NCAA tournament one year.

We lost to Oklahoma state in the ncaa tourney one year? Next thing you are going to tell me is that we were a number 1 seed and had two guys named Duncan and Childress on that team. No fucking way.

Back