• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

The genius of Wellman's strategy is starting to play out:
1- Make an absolutely terrible hire that allows Wake Forest to suck at basketball for roughly a decade... Get program to a point of complete irrelevancy on the national landscape
2- Wait for unprecedented FBI investigation into NCAA basketball recruiting and watch it unfold over a period of years, hoping it destroys every competitive program in Division 1
3- Profit

Chess vs. checkers

1- Make an absolutely terrible hire that allows Wake Forest to suck at basketball for roughly a decade... Get program to a point of complete irrelevancy on the national landscape
2- Wait for unprecedented FBI investigation into NCAA basketball recruiting and watch it unfold over a period of years, hoping it destroys every competitive program in Division 1
3- Profit

Chess vs. checkers

WINNING! :tard:

Agreed. I don’t see the incentive for the NCAA to act.

At least not in the short term.

I do, however, think some of these individual programs will have a decision to make in the weeks ahead. If you are Izzo, do you play Bridges? Does K play Carter? If you see this "evidence" and have reason to believe they may not be eligible, you have to weigh how that impacts the brand (as well as the rest of the team that ostensibly didn't take money).

Because the NCAA won't do anything in the short term, it is going to be up to the schools to decide how impactful this might be in the future.

Having said all that, I expect the players will play and it will get sorted out after the season... Which sucks.

3- Profit

Chess vs. checkers

And you people thought Wellman was an idiot

Didn't Keatts tell us this week that NC State isn't involved ?

At the very least, we will always be able to call them cheaters, and that is satisfying.

Carolina’s allegation isn’t remotely as bad as State’s. It would make my life if State got hammered by NCAA for this.

I read the yahoo report today and am kinda confused on what could actually happen to these schools. They received benefits from an agent, not the school - so unless the facilitated it, they couldn’t get in trouble for it right? Maybe have to vacate the seasons the players receiving benefits played in (big for UNC with the natty championship last year with tony Bradley). I guess you could make the assumption these aren’t the only ones, and that the scumbag coaches from a couple of these teams were definitely involved in the facilitation of meetkng and receiving illegal benefits? You need hard proof of this. Maybe this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Carolina’s allegation isn’t remotely as bad as State’s. It would make my life if State got hammered by NCAA for this.

$100 lunch with Brice Johnson. What would that get you from the NCAA ? Repay the improper benefit and sit out two games ?

This won't be the end of college sports. It will simply be the beginning of non-amateur college sports. All those guilty will be excused, we'll still suck, and we'll have an even harder time competing against the bigger schools who have been engaging in this bullshit all along. On the positive side, we've already placed our program on probation, so at least we got our punishment for our lack of involvement.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don’t think the agent side is likely to result in any NCAA actions. These benefits aren’t designed to steer players to schools, but to the agent himself or herself. The Adidas side of the investigation I think will have much deeper ramifications.

Yeah, I don’t think the agent side is likely to result in any NCAA actions. These benefits aren’t designed to steer players to schools, but to the agent himself or herself. The Adidas side of the investigation I think will have much deeper ramifications.
Well, that depends on how quickly the NCAA determines whether the named players are ineligible or not. Does Kentucky play Knox, or Duke play Carter after this?

Back