• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

Our safety in this is solely due to the culture and foundation that Ron and Bz implemented all those years ago. I always knew there was a reason behind the madness. Now is the perfect time to rise up and conquer all!

Kind of dumb that having someone buy you lunch is a violation. But Dennis Smith's $73,000 loan on the other hand...

I wonder if they went to Olive Garden and got the Never Ending Pasta Bowl.

I'd be moved towards leniency if so.

What's going to be funny is when the NCAA tries to punish everybody but UNC.

Brendan Haywood's $300ish loan looks odd. He had a long NBA career and is an announcer now.

Is that the same Brendan Haywood from UNC? Seems odd since all of these players are pretty recent and he hasn't played in college in 18 years.

That's why I say that strikes me as weird. A SUPER quick google search didn't unearth a younger player with that name, but I didn't go beyond page 1.

The NCAA’s motivation is self-preservation. When it all shakes out, college athletics will be overseen by the adept of Education

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22553502/fbi-probe-corruption-reveals-basketball-powers-broken-ncaa-rules

ESPN article on the subject. It links Xavier as well. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. Cincinnati media pays almost no attention to it but Xavier has had a run of disciplinary issues under Mack. And there was the Canadian PF that Wake was recruiting until he was charged with hitting a cop on a bike with his car. Wake and almost everyone else stopped recruiting him. Xavier not only continued recruiting him but then admitted him and had him on the bench. Once he was formally charged and had to go to jail, Xavier quietly dismissed him. Mack's kind of a dick.

At least not in the short term.

I do, however, think some of these individual programs will have a decision to make in the weeks ahead. If you are Izzo, do you play Bridges? Does K play Carter? If you see this "evidence" and have reason to believe they may not be eligible, you have to weigh how that impacts the brand (as well as the rest of the team that ostensibly didn't take money).

Because the NCAA won't do anything in the short term, it is going to be up to the schools to decide how impactful this might be in the future.

Having said all that, I expect the players will play and it will get sorted out after the season... Which sucks.

What's the drawback to playing these guys? It's not like schools, fans, donors, etc care when shit gets vacated years later. If Carter helps Duke win another title, they're not going to care if the NCAA vacates it in 2022.

In my day, Wendell Carter's next away game would be a zoo. Thousands of students/fans shaking keys at him, holding up signs, etc... Not sure about now.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22553502/fbi-probe-corruption-reveals-basketball-powers-broken-ncaa-rules

ESPN article on the subject. It links Xavier as well. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. Cincinnati media pays almost no attention to it but Xavier has had a run of disciplinary issues under Mack. And there was the Canadian PF that Wake was recruiting until he was charged with hitting a cop on a bike with his car. Wake and almost everyone else stopped recruiting him. Xavier not only continued recruiting him but then admitted him and had him on the bench. Once he was formally charged and had to go to jail, Xavier quietly dismissed him. Mack's kind of a dick.

Nothing will happen .

They are now listing Colin Sexton, Markell Fultz and Dennis Smith, Jr., as having taken money.

Yet UNC plays with a squad full of ineligible athletes for 2 decades and didn't even get a slap on the wrist. Seems legit

UNC, Duke, State...It's strange, but I kinda feel left out. Like Wake isn't even trying.

Although, if we had been mentioned in this and we're still as bad as we are, I probably would have started eating Tide pods by now.

Last edited:
Carolina’s allegation isn’t remotely as bad as State’s. It would make my life if State got hammered by NCAA for this.

prepare for us to vacate our glorious 4 ACC win season. we had already sent a letter of disassociation to that agent in 2012, nothing else we could do. I was worried it would've been Adidas steering him to us which would've been a problem.

Back