• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

I spent 14 yrs on the bench and in College Athletic locker rooms so I have some perspective for my 2 cents worth: Since 2015, full scholarship athletes get the $2-5k stipend/yr based upon that school's full cost of attendance. Scholarship athletes don't need money to eat. Nobody keeps the best players from getting paid to play hoops, they can play all over the world and give it a shot. The NBA and NBA Players Assn agreed together on rules since 2006 that say age 19 and non-intl players must be 1 yr removed from their high school class grad. Not the NCAA, not CBS, not the ACC. Players want 10k at age 18-19? Ok, get a job teaching bkb skills or doing anything else. They get some money but not room and board and clothing and visibility and many life lessons about teamwork. Kids want it both ways, let me play in College but not by the rules. They are not being given money "to go to school." They are taking "early signing bonuses" to help agents coaches and advisors cheat in the business world. And they get cheated of their own chance to "earn" life's opportunities the same away everyone else does.

I spent 14 yrs on the bench and in College Athletic locker rooms so I have some perspective for my 2 cents worth: Since 2015, full scholarship athletes get the $2-5k stipend/yr based upon that school's full cost of attendance. Scholarship athletes don't need money to eat. Nobody keeps the best players from getting paid to play hoops, they can play all over the world and give it a shot. The NBA and NBA Players Assn agreed together on rules since 2006 that say age 19 and non-intl players must be 1 yr removed from their high school class grad. Not the NCAA, not CBS, not the ACC. Players want 10k at age 18-19? Ok, get a job teaching bkb skills or doing anything else. They get some money but not room and board and clothing and visibility and many life lessons about teamwork. Kids want it both ways, let me play in College but not by the rules. They are not being given money "to go to school." They are taking "early signing bonuses" to help agents coaches and advisors cheat in the business world. And they get cheated of their own chance to "earn" life's opportunities the same away everyone else does.

Good post

What AD writes contracts like this.

"In a strange twist, Miller's contract somehow pays him more for getting fired with cause than without cause. The section in his current contract that references him being fired with cause mentions no reduction in base salary upon firing. But if Arizona fires him without cause, there's a 50 percent reduction noted. So if Miller is fired with cause by the university, they will owe him approximately $5.15 million more ($10.3 million versus $5.15 million) than if it fired him for no reason."

I guess it's too late for AZ to fire him without cause. Of course they deserve to pay that money if the are stupid enough to write a contract like that.
It reads like a contract that acknlowedges that Miller will be engaging in risky stuff and if caught the university might be forced to fire him

State law may save the university from its own stupidity if Miller is convicted.

If college basketball adopted the college baseball rule, college basketball would become a niche sport like college baseball.

If college basketball adopted the college baseball rule, college basketball would become a niche sport like college baseball.

We’ve had this discussion before. It wouldn’t because college basketball has huge TV contracts.

We’ve had this discussion before. It wouldn’t because college basketball has huge TV contracts.

College basketball wouldn't have TV contracts if most of the Top 75 players never stepped foot on a college campus.

I don't agree with this assertion.

However, if such a rule change did decrease the influence of TV and money on the sport, then that would be a great thing. I would still enjoy watching college teams made up of players who actually wanted to, you know, go to college. :rolleyes:

It's hard to watch college basketball now. Watching the same product with even less talented players would be horrific.

It's hard to watch college basketball now. Watching the same product with even less talented players would be horrific.

Nope. There are exciting and entertaining games at all levels. The skill level has never been higher in college than it is now, but the product isn’t great because of the rules and reffing.

The skill level was higher when the top players stayed four years. The rules and reffing are horrible. A baseball rule wouldn't address either.

The skill level was higher when the top players stayed four years. The rules and reffing are horrible. A baseball rule wouldn't address either.

I’m not sure about that - the skill level throughout all of basketball is higher than it was 25 years ago.

I’m not sure about that - the skill level throughout all of basketball is higher than it was 25 years ago.

Sure, but you're coming elite 18 year olds now to elite 21 and 22 year olds then. I'd take Duncan in '97 or Laettner in '92 over Bagley Jr right now.

Yep. And now that I watch less of it on a daily and weekly basis, it's disturbing to turn it on and see just how bad it is. It makes it very easy not to turn the TV on and watch the next time. Of course, combined with how bad Wake has been for most of the past eight years, I've seen a lot of really bad basketball.

With the players going to college knowing they are committing for three years and coaches knowing they hsve a player for three years, coaches can spend more time instilling fundamentals and team basketball. Players might pay more attention once they stop thinking "NBA at the end of the season. I need highlights."

Watching teams built around juniors and seniors wouldn't make the caliber of ball higher? One reason college basketball sucks now is the lack of continuity and familiarity between teammates.

Watching teams built around juniors and seniors wouldn't make the caliber of ball higher? One reason college basketball sucks now is the lack of continuity and familiarity between teammates.

The caliber of ball would be similar to that of mid-major teams that recruit outside of the top 100 and have 4 year players.

Or having players that learned to work together for 4 years would be better than a collection of players thinking mostly about how good they look to the NBA as in Dennis Smith Jr.

Back