• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball coaching changes

Yea that's scary. Unless the first worst is the guy directly before him.

Did some looking around. The guy before him was Ricardo Patton. He was there for 10 years. He's certainly not their worst coach in history, but the state of the program when he left it is astonishing. Check out his record here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Buffaloes_men's_basketball#Record_by_coach

He had a long tenure there but left on a 7-20 note. Enter [Redacted], whose next two years are basically the same. IIRC, Bz even kicked a player or two off the team when he showed up there. They start to turn the corner in that 3rd year, and then he comes here.

None of this is conclusive, obviously, but there may be something more to the analysis than W-L records.

Not sure what happened with Patton in that 7-20 season or the circumstances around his departure to NIU, but Patton was 20-10 with an NIT berth in his next to last season. Colorado's only NCAA Tournament appearances in my lifetime came under Patton.

I agree, the Patton record is startling. If you look on the chart at his NIU record, he continued right on the path of his last season at CU. He continued to be abysmal. On the surface, it's as if he woke up one day and forgot to coach.

Or as I like to call it - Paul Hewitt syndrome. One day he just fell out of bed and decided his career as one of the best young coaches in the country was too much and simply quit being good.

I still don't understand Hewitt. His first 3 years were at Sienna and he did extremely well. Then he took over a GT program that was really struggling (Cremins was pushed out for a reason, remember) and went to 3 NCAA Tournaments and a Final Four in his first 5 seasons. He won an ACC COY award and finished 5th, 5th, 5th, 3rd, 4th in the ACC. It wasn't just the Final Four that GT gave him that big contract for, it was an 8 year stretch of very strong results.

And then the wheels absolutely came off. He finished 6th in the league one more time, but only made post season play twice and did it with arguably more talent than he had the first 5 years at GT. An absolutely mind boggling collapse.

(p.s - lololololol @ Missouri ... the NCSU of the midwest)

(p.s - lololololol @ Missouri ... the NCSU of the midwest)

Good comparison, which is why I was so shocked at Matt Painter's interest in that job. In hindsight, the "interest" was self-serving, but a lot of people (including Gene Keady, his mentor) really believed he was bolting for Columbia. What a terrible mistake that would have been.

I agree, the Patton record is startling. If you look on the chart at his NIU record, he continued right on the path of his last season at CU. He continued to be abysmal. On the surface, it's as if he woke up one day and forgot to coach.

I think I remember that Patton had a shady recruiting pipeline connection that got him good players for a while at Colorado. Pretty sure, though, that by the end it was a combination of him not being successful and the players weren't being the best of citizens either. Sounds like their AD might have been after a culture change.

Good comparison, which is why I was so shocked at Matt Painter's interest in that job. In hindsight, the "interest" was self-serving, but a lot of people (including Gene Keady, his mentor) really believed he was bolting for Columbia. What a terrible mistake that would have been.

Purdue is the NCSU of the Big Ten.

High major schools are going to have to have to start looking more at top assistant coaches or they are going to end up continuing to hire retreads or poor performing coaches at football schools. Successful coaches in the major conferences aren't going to change jobs unless it is to go to one of the blue blood programs (Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Indiana and maybe a couple of others), and now the top mid-major coaches are either going to stay and make bang where they are at (Few, Stevens) or they are going to stay put to wait for either their dream job or perfect situation. The recent success of the mid majors has eliminated in a number of cases the need for a coach to take a high major job to have a chance for real success in the NCAA tourney and the desire to leave for bigger bucks is going away as well as some of the mid-majors start to pony up...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6296288

"I don't look at the negativity I'm hearing so far as a negative," he said. "That's why I'm here. I want that passion."

Also note that he is not making more money at Missouri, probably because he was hilariously overpaid at Miami (and still is).

Back