• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball coaching rumor (Gamecocks)

Martin has been rumored here since a day or two after Horn was fired.

The part of Kansas that Manhattan is in is quite nice - there are parts of the state that are complete shitholes though, but that's to be expected consider Kansas is almost three times the size of South Carolina

Another rumor floating around is that SMU has targeted Seth Greenberg. :eek:

Was just told that South Carolina's board of trustees has been called together for an emergency meeting to approve a new contract. Assume it is Martin, but not sure.

I'm pretty sure Martin sees USC as a way to get away from his AD and get back to the east coast as I think he's from Florida. I'd be surprised if he stayed longer than 3-4 years and used it as a springboard to bigger things. I hope he at least gets USC competitive though so the next guy is not in the situation Martin is going to be in.

I have never been to Manhatten Kansas but find it hard to believe its better than Columbia. Theyre are a lot more coeds in Columbia wearing a lot less in the spring than their counterparts are in Kansas.

Do you think we'll be able to afford him?

South Carolina has plenty of money just from the SEC contract and what their football brings in with 7 home games. They are certainly tired of being perennial losers in basketball when they have such a great thing going with football, baseball & now women's basketball. Getting Frank Martin would be a great start I would think.

South Carolina has plenty of money just from the SEC contract and what their football brings in with 7 home games. They are certainly tired of being perennial losers in basketball when they have such a great thing going with football, baseball & now women's basketball. Getting Frank Martin would be a great start I would think.

I'm a WF fan, so we referred to "us", not "you". And sounds like the contract was signed.

DONE DEAL! Not my first choice, but he will bring much needed intensity and swagger to the program.

Martin would be a terrific hire for S Car.

Manhattan isn't a shithole, but it's not exactly great either. The coeds are miserable, KS weather is terrible (both extremes ftl), and it's a pretty small town that doesn't have a lot going for it outside of the university and it's fairly secluded (nearest major airport is 2 hours away). I'd take Columbia any day over that, although as for jobs itself, KSU is better.

K-State loves Frank though, so if he takes the S Car job, Currie is going to be feeling A TON of heat and rightfully so.

Wish Martin was coming to Wake.... Hell, I wish we could get any of the other 325 NCAA coaches out there... Congrats to SC if this is true. Martin's a solid coach.

Frank Martin to South Carolina to replace fired men's coach Darrin Horn

This can't be true. I don't know if you heard, but Dino Gaudio wants to get back into coaching this year has dusted off his resume. Maybe this means Dino to Illinois?

Another rumor floating around is that SMU has targeted Seth Greenberg. :eek:

SMU has that a-rab money to throw around and Seth probably wants to get out before he gets fired. But that would pretty much kill VT bball. Seth is the only one who ever made them even moderately respectable and I doubt they'll be able to find anyone decent to take that job.

Would never want Martin. Would take Marshall long before I'd take Martin. Martin appears like he's constantly 1" away from hitting/choking 1 of his players, a ref, a journalist, opposing coach or opposing player. Makes Bobby Knight look sane.

That said, and I've never been to Manhattan KA, but Milhouse has the correct take on Columbia SC.

Your fingers say no but your eyes say YES. Come ... come to Martin Land ...

Martin would be a terrific hire for S Car.

Manhattan isn't a shithole, but it's not exactly great either. The coeds are miserable, KS weather is terrible (both extremes ftl), and it's a pretty small town that doesn't have a lot going for it outside of the university and it's fairly secluded (nearest major airport is 2 hours away). I'd take Columbia any day over that, although as for jobs itself, KSU is better.

K-State loves Frank though, so if he takes the S Car job, Currie is going to be feeling A TON of heat and rightfully so.

The biggest downside to Manhattan is the G.I's who all live there and commute to Fort Riley. Other than that, it's a nice college town. Everything revolves around KSU and Aggieville >>>>>>>>> anything in Columbia. I'd live there in a heartbeat as opposed to the shithole that Columbia is.

The State newspaper in Columbia says it's a done deal. Frank Martin to South Carolina.

And Bzzzz still dragging us into the abyss. Good times.

Back