• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Basketball Sucks

I HIGHLY doubt the quality of college basketball is substantially worse across the board to the extent that people want to make it seem. There are a few reasons why I believe this to be true:

1. People love to wax nostalgic about the past regardless of how good or bad it actually was.
2. There are more "top" teams now. Mid-majors are getting better players and therefore the talent is being spread across the board more. ACC basketball may be worse than it used to be, but that's just because there are better players going to schools that they didn't used to go to.
3. With the rise of technology and team structure at lower levels, players are spending more time in a team setting (even if it is AAU ball) and getting specific training in one-on-one situations. This infrastructure certainly was not here in the 50's and 60's where guys weren't getting coached up until late middle school or high school, and even then they were likely just learning from some dude who was from the area who knew a decent amount about basketball
4. There is a much higher average of athleticism out there on the floor. The game is faster paced because of this and the rules are simply not adjusting. Refs are partially to blame for the fact that fouls are being called, players are partially to blame for the fouls being called because they're not adjusting, but primarily I think the fact that the rules haven't been slightly adjusted to change for the athletic ability of the players is the top thing to blame. For example the hand check rule is ridiculous when applied today. There were three or four plays last night where a hand check was called while a player was going to the basket where there was a) minimal contact and b) the offensive player's progress was not in the least inhibited (i.e. they continued to the basket with relative ease). The hand check is a ridiculous rule.

Just my two cents.

I HIGHLY doubt the quality of college basketball is substantially worse across the board to the extent that people want to make it seem. There are a few reasons why I believe this to be true:

1. People love to wax nostalgic about the past regardless of how good or bad it actually was.
2. There are more "top" teams now. Mid-majors are getting better players and therefore the talent is being spread across the board more. ACC basketball may be worse than it used to be, but that's just because there are better players going to schools that they didn't used to go to.
3. With the rise of technology and team structure at lower levels, players are spending more time in a team setting (even if it is AAU ball) and getting specific training in one-on-one situations. This infrastructure certainly was not here in the 50's and 60's where guys weren't getting coached up until late middle school or high school, and even then they were likely just learning from some dude who was from the area who knew a decent amount about basketball
4. There is a much higher average of athleticism out there on the floor. The game is faster paced because of this and the rules are simply not adjusting. Refs are partially to blame for the fact that fouls are being called, players are partially to blame for the fouls being called because they're not adjusting, but primarily I think the fact that the rules haven't been slightly adjusted to change for the athletic ability of the players is the top thing to blame. For example the hand check rule is ridiculous when applied today. There were three or four plays last night where a hand check was called while a player was going to the basket where there was a) minimal contact and b) the offensive player's progress was not in the least inhibited (i.e. they continued to the basket with relative ease). The hand check is a ridiculous rule.

Just my two cents.

this is just a post about why it sucks

so either you believe in the word of law or the spirit of the law. it's a game to be played with fouls called when it impedes play unfairly. if play is not impeded, then why would you call a foul

I kinda want to find some old Ed Scott/Will Solo-man Clemson games and watch them to test numbers' theory.

I can tolerate an occasional player who leaves after three years...but never any who leave after only one or two years. I wish that Chris Paul, James Johnson, Jeff Teague & Al-Farouq Aminu had never gone to Wake Forest. They mean nothing to me.

Do you wish that Isiah Thomas had never gone to Indiana and won the national title for Bob Knight?

Or he could take his fist and beat your face, or your face and beat his fist.

Why would you handcheck an opposing player if you were not attempting to impede his progress....which is against the rules?

You are arguing that the rules of the game should only be subjectively enforced.....which is an untenable position.

A) you can stick your hand out to strip the ball or block a shot wiht out trying to impede progress, unless you want to ban blocked shots now
B) lol at the bolded part

Anybody got any evidence that FT% has gone down over the years? That's a verifiable statement.

That would have been fine with me (and probably Coach Knight, too.) At Indiana, the man on the bench was more important than any one of the players on the court. IU might have won anyway, without Thomas. I've already pointed out how Coach Knight took Marty Simmons, Uwe Blab, Dan Dakich & Mike Giomi and beat #1 UNC with four NBA 1st round draft picks....Michael Jordan, Sam Perkins, Brad Daugherty & Kenny Smith.

The best thing ever said about Bob Knight was that "he could take his players and beat your players.....or he could take your players and beat his players".

he did like to beat his players, eh?

One play I'm thinking of last night was Moto getting the ball between the elbow and corner. He took a jab step and while driving towards the basket was contacted by the defender. A hand check was called on the floor but before the whistle Moto got past his guy and laid it in for an easy two. His progress was not impeded as seen by his scoring the basket and play was stopped. It literally didn't benefit anybody or anything. The defender picked up a foul, the offensive player didn't get his bucket which he would have scored without the whistle, the game is slowed to a screeching halt, and the fans are left wondering where the foul was.

Good refs will use an " advantage" call much like soccer. If a foul happens and the player fouled maintains an advantage or scores they won't call anything. If he misses or loses the ball a foul is called. It's why you see "late" calls made sometimes.

It is not because of nostalgia that I preferred watching Skip/CP3/Justin Gray/Big-E OR Dino/Ish/Johnson/Teague over Bzz/Emo Devin and a bunch of hustling, over-clapping Betas

well, the early exit isn't going to happen, but babydeac's prediction will probably come true

I'm still trying to process the fact that a Wake Forest fan wishes Chris Paul had never played for Wake.

Yeah. That was one game....29 years ago now....and it was done explicitly to make a point. I am also the guy who was so devestated by a WF loss to UNC that I walked 13 miles to my car immediately after the game was over.

You can harp on that one game all you wish. Obviously, it makes a great story for you. However, I went to my first WF game on January 4th, 1958....more than 56 years ago now. And during the 27 years between that time and the day I wore that UNC shirt to one football game shortly after Carl Tacy resigned to show how totally devestated I was by the way the Wake Forest "family" had treated Carl, I went to hundreds of WF games, graduated from WF, and donated the equivilant of $20,000+/year in today's dollars to the Deacon Club for many years.

Bob, would you prefer to be labeled "Benedict Bob" or "BobKnightIscariot" in future posts?

Back