• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Basketball Sucks

One time I wore a UNC Sweate but it was for a PSA commercial on literacy

Last edited:
benedict bob has a good ring to it, I think a custom title is in order.

Yeah. That was one game....29 years ago now....and it was done explicitly to make a point. I am also the guy who was so devestated by a WF loss to UNC that I walked 13 miles to my car immediately after the game was over.

You can harp on that one game all you wish. Obviously, it makes a great story for you. However, I went to my first WF game on January 4th, 1958....more than 56 years ago now. And during the 27 years between that time and the day I wore that UNC shirt to one football game shortly after Carl Tacy resigned to show how totally devestated I was by the way the Wake Forest "family" had treated Carl, I went to hundreds of WF games, graduated from WF, and donated the equivilant of $20,000+/year in today's dollars to the Deacon Club for many years.

We've got bunches of "fans" on this board pulling against Wake Forest in every game they play right now.

Dr. Hooks lives down the street from me. I'll send your regards if you like.

I suppose that everyone has framed his own goals, so there are probably a lot of different answers when you ask that question. My goal and your goal, for example, are probably two completely different things....but since you explicitly asked me what the end game is, here is what the "end game" is for me:

I want Wake Forest to win as many games as possible....while running a clean program with kids who stay out of trouble, play four years and graduate. I can tolerate an occasional player who leaves after three years...but never any who leave after only one or two years. I wish that Chris Paul, James Johnson, Jeff Teague & Al-Farouq Aminu had never gone to Wake Forest. They mean nothing to me.

And I don't think a player's jersey should ever be retired until he has graduated from the university....no matter what else he has accomplished on or off the court at Wake Forest or elsewhere, or if he has come back and donated $100 million to the school.

But what if retiring his jersey helps Ron Wellman try to look good?

There's lots of physical contact that is not clearly initiated by one or the other player and/or does not give either player an advantage. I don't think those should be called fouls. The refs in the State game (including our old schifozo Jamie Luckie) did call many of these fouls and made the game ridiculous.

Blocking out is an exception - physical contact can be initiated by one player, the one blocking out, and does provide an advantage to the player initiating the contact - but since our players hardly ever block out, the issue seems irrelevant as far as Wake hoops are concerned.

I'm at the Davidson-Elon game right now, and they called a total of six fouls in the first half. Ted Valentine is working the game + no TV = we're working quickly tonight.

Tied at 37. One if the most entertaining halves I've seen in any game this year. Took 40 minutes total to play. Go figure.

So 3 year players are totally fine, but two year players aren't; That's definitely not an arbitrary distinction.

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

I just realized that if 94deac can continue his grumpy curmudgeon ways for another 30 years then one day, just maybe, he might approach the bitter old man level that that bkf currently occupies.

Anyone who thinks that the quality of the game has not deteriorated is a moron. Any mid tier wake team from the 80s would wax these teams. The game is almost unwatchable. It is not just waxing nostalgic. Imagine Sampson, Burrleson etc. playing against the akin Mitchell's of the world. Geez

So 3 year players are totally fine, but two year players aren't; That's definitely not an arbitrary distinction.

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

Not really. After three years, with summer school classes thrown in, you are reasonably close to graduating. So, returning for your diploma, when you get a chance, would be more enticing. Only two years means a lot more time for a diploma than three.

Back