• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Football Coaching Carousel (2014-15 Edition)

Weird. I think Morris could do better than SMU but not better than $3M a year.

For the record, if that's true that enough money dedicated to football that SMU could pay Morris an average of $2M a year and pay 85 scholarship athletes almost $12,000 a year.

thats a lot more reasonable figure than what they had on the table for mack brown

Some rumors on Twitter that Chad Morris is headed to SMU.

Don't know about Twitter, but this rumor has been around for a long time. My brother (Clemson grad) told me prior to this season that the word was that Morris is going to be HC at SMU after this season.

That kind of deal for SMU strikes me that they're trying to position themselves for a power conference invite down the road. If Morris can duplicate the success TCU had before they moved up they might pull it off. They have an excellent location if they build a big winner there.

For Clemson, this could really hurt them against South Carolina this weekend. Might cost them a few recruits as well.

Which conference? I just don't see the need for any of the P5 conferences right now.

Which conference? I just don't see the need for any of the P5 conferences right now.

It won't be right now but a lot can change over the course of the next decade.. Just making the hires isn't good enough though, SMU would need to put some sustained multi-year success on the football field and basketball court to start garnering attention. I do think their moves in basketball and football are at least in part about positioning themselves against the other G5 schools for a power conference invite. Watching TCU's success has to make their boosters think why not us?

As far as which conferences would be interested, the most likely would be the Big 12 if they do a large expansion of 4-6 teams or if they lose teams and need to backfill. There are also some scenarios where they could end up in the PAC 12 or the ACC if the Big 12 breaks up when the tv contracts come back up for renewal in ten years.

Chad Morris is a stud

If this is so, why can't he beat Spurrier & Co? Why can't they beat anyone other than who they are supposed to beat. They couldn't even beat F$U who was playing a back up QB. Maybe Dabo gets in the way, but I don't see the love for Chad Morris.

Kind of leery of the hot, can't-miss coordinator hire, a la Will Muschamp.

It won't be right now but a lot can change over the course of the next decade.. Just making the hires isn't good enough though, SMU would need to put some sustained multi-year success on the football field and basketball court to start garnering attention. I do think their moves in basketball and football are at least in part about positioning themselves against the other G5 schools for a power conference invite. Watching TCU's success has to make their boosters think why not us?

As far as which conferences would be interested, the most likely would be the Big 12 if they do a large expansion of 4-6 teams or if they lose teams and need to backfill. There are also some scenarios where they could end up in the PAC 12 or the ACC if the Big 12 breaks up when the tv contracts come back up for renewal in ten years.

I just think the Big 12 already has Texas saturated. They don't need help with those markets.

Clemson should have a lot of good candidates if they continue to pay out seven figures.

Kind of leery of the hot, can't-miss coordinator hire, a la Will Muschamp.

You can find lots of examples where that worked pretty well though. Jimbo Fisher, James Franklin, Charlie Strong, etc...

You risk a bust anytime you make a hire.

I just think the Big 12 already has Texas saturated. They don't need help with those markets.

The two additions that make the most sense are playing on espn2 right now.

Back