• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Football Coaching Carousel (2014-15 Edition)

Why is keeping Bud Foster dumb?

Signing him for five years is dumb.
Beamer won't be there five years. So when Beamer leaves you're either obligating the new hire to keep him, or you're presumably requiring yourself to pay some sort of settlement to let him go.

Signing him for five years is dumb.
Beamer won't be there five years. So when Beamer leaves you're either obligating the new hire to keep him, or you're presumably requiring yourself to pay some sort of settlement to let him go.

Or you are naming him coach in waiting.

Foster is 55. So, I guess its better to be the coach in waiting than not at all, but the problem with VT right now is Frank Beamer is approaching the "Bowden/Paterno - I am too old to be effective" range, and he looks scary as hell. The program is in decline and does not attract the same level of talent that it did over the previous 15 years. It's one thing to be the coach in waiting for a top 15 program. It is another to be coach in waiting for a run-of-the-mill ACC program. By the time Foster takes over, he is going to be old, and the program is going to be in start from scratch mode. That is not the typical situation where you transition to a coach in waiting.

Beamer hosed the program when he did not retire a few years ago. Looks to me that VT is a long way from being a nationally relevant program, and I have doubts as to whether Bud Foster in his late 50s will be in a position to materially change the course of the program.

Good post, although I highly doubt Bud would have signed a 5 year deal unless there were assurances Beamer was going to be around much less than 5 years.

get

Football Scoop's latest on Jim Harbaugh. Who blink's first?

NFL sources tell me that the 49ers have told Michigan that if they reach a deal with Jim to become their next head coach, that the 49ers will release him from his contract and seek no compensation. Why? Well, per sources, if Jim isn’t going to be the Niners head coach next season, the 49ers front office would prefer to have him in the college ranks to avoid having to deal with…

If Jim decides he wants to remain in the league, NFL sources tell us the most likely landing spot is the Raiders. Problem is, the 49ers organization is less than excited about the possibility that their head coach could be coaching across the bay next season. Per sources, if Jim were able to get the Raiders to the top, some within the 49ers organization would look very foolish for allowing this to happen while he was under contract.

So, what are the Niners thinking? Per NFL sources, if Jim chooses to remain in the league, the Niners plan to ask for “a King’s ransom” and aren’t all that confident the Raiders would meet such demands. If this were to play out, this could make for a serious game of career poker. Who blinks first? If the Niners terminate his contract, he goes wherever he wants with no further compensation due to the Niners. That option seems unlikely; but sources tell us you can’t rule out any of these possibilities at this time.

Damn, after shooting us down I was hoping he'd take a better job. I honestly thought he would after all the success he's had.

Narduzzi didn't shoot us down. Clawson was our top choice followed by Lembo. Pitt is a very good job for a first head coaching job. It's basically Georgia Tech north. Tom Herman and Chad Morris had to start in the non power conference AAC for comparison.

TAMU just hired Chavis from LSU as their defensive coordinator. Fucking massive pull.

TAMU just hired Chavis from LSU as their defensive coordinator. Fucking massive pull.

That's pretty incredible. Did they just back up the $$$ truck and LSU wouldn't match? Or is there something bothering Chavis in Red Stick?

That's pretty incredible. Did they just back up the $$$ truck and LSU wouldn't match? Or is there something bothering Chavis in Red Stick?

Both I think. TAMU gave him a $400k raise plus it really irked him that there was language in the extension from LSU that said he would not get a buyout if Les was fired.

Football is going in the wrong direction for Wake Forest to compete when there are a couple of assistants nationally making more than our head coach including two in our own division this past year in Kelly at Clemson and Grantham at Louisville.

Back