• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Commencement

Or the College of Liberal Arts and College of Arts and Sciences (or whatever we call them) will convene in separate locations immediately after all of the general ceremony bits have concluded. Lots of schools do that.

Yeah, they would do something like that I'm sure, but it's not the same as being able to walk across the Quad, shake hands with the president, etc. in front of 10,000+ people

Yeah, they would do something like that I'm sure, but it's not the same as being able to walk across the Quad, shake hands with the president, etc. in front of 10,000+ people

It wouldn't be that much of a loss these days.

I certainly can't name any major accomplishments.

I'm not sure that I can either, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any. We as a group seriously let sports stuff cloud our judgement. For the vast majority of us, I'd hope, sports are not the only important thing about Wake Forest.

Hatch has a lot less to do with our athletics programs than we give him credit for.

I'm not sure Hatch has much of a reputation for anything. Certainly not with the students as interacting with them is not a priority. Plus the guy is awful as a public figure - literally can't give a speech without flubbing someone.

That being said, a lot of good things have happened at Wake since he got here. There have been a lot of new buildings constructed (though the cost of this is the skyrocketing tuition), and one of the biggest changes I've noticed is a major commitment to having a diverse student body, with a particular focus on attracting foreign students. Colbert's integration joke was on point to an extent, but the demographics of the students have changed a lot even in the last five years

I'm not sure Hatch has much of a reputation for anything. Certainly not with the students as interacting with them is not a priority. Plus the guy is awful as a public figure - literally can't give a speech without flubbing someone.

That being said, a lot of good things have happened at Wake since he got here. There have been a lot of new buildings constructed (though the cost of this is the skyrocketing tuition), and one of the biggest changes I've noticed is a major commitment to having a diverse student body, with a particular focus on attracting foreign students. Colbert's integration joke was on point to an extent, but the demographics of the students have changed a lot even in the last five years

I would also point to Wake Will, which has been highly successful thus far.

Headline on Yahoo Sports this morning: Stephen Colbert mocks Wake Forest sports in graduation speech

"Still, while Wake has been a trailblazer, this is a school that respects tradition," Colbert said. "Traditions like rolling the Quad with toilet paper after big wins. And this is actually an eco-friendly tradition because, looking at this season’s win-loss record, you guys saved a lot of paper."

Colbert's joke received more chuckles than boos but immediately afterward he found a way to get even the most ardent defenders of Wake Forest sports back on his side.

"Let me win you back," he said. "Duke sucks."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/stephen-colbert-mocks-wake-forest-sports-in-graduation-speech-205503042.html

I found out yesterday that Wake had about 100 freshmen from China last year - that's almost 10% of the entire class. Seems like foreign students are a major focus

weird tags

"next up law school" is pretty dead on for Wake. WTF else do you do after all that liberal arts crap that does nothing in the real world. I think 50% of this board's population is made up of attorneys. (I'm one of them). Head's up; avoid law school!

"next up law school" is pretty dead on for Wake. WTF else do you do after all that liberal arts crap that does nothing in the real world. I think 50% of this board's population is made up of attorneys. (I'm one of them). Head's up; avoid law school!

and/or other graduate degrees.

ok!

i don't think anyone in my pledge class and only one guy in my friend group outside the frat (spazz bros) went to law school. a number of other graduate degrees (medical, teaching, mba, etc.) but 1 out of like 20-25 i think went to law school (granted i was class of 07, kinda, so maybe that plays a part).

Back