• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Has the Big Ten been that great? Rest of the conference really owes a lot to Ohio State, because otherwise I don't really see a significant difference between the two conferences in terms of on-field performance over the last decade+.

Pilch is closer to the reality, B1G fans will watch no matter what crap they're being served up (and they have a ton of fucking massive student-body state schools), whilst the West Coast has the least interest in football -- particularly non-NFL --- of any pocket of the country
Going back to the BCS era, B1G had (28 participants), SEC (27), Big-12 (22), PAC-12 (21), ACC (18). Playoff era, SEC (10 Bama 7, UGA 2), ACC (8 - Clemson 6), B1G (6), Big 12 (4), PAC-12 (2).

But with all those "big" schools would the acc be solid number 4? Do you try to take something from the 12 in EST zone or TX to stay conference number 3? WVU, UCF TCU, Baylor?

If someone adds value and will get us a contract boost then yes. If not, then no.

Going back to the BCS era, B1G had (28 participants), SEC (27), Big-12 (22), PAC-12 (21), ACC (18). Playoff era, SEC (10 Bama 7, UGA 2), ACC (8 - Clemson 6), B1G (6), Big 12 (4), PAC-12 (2).
B1G had 3 appearances in the BCS Championship Game (all Ohio State), with 1 championship (Ohio State 2002)

B1G's 6 appearances in CFP have been Ohio State (4), Michigan (1), and Michigan State (1), with 1 championship (Ohio State 2014) and more embarrassment than success.

B1G has been boo outside of Ohio State since at least the inception of the BCS, and while Ohio State has been very good, they have pretty much been on par with Florida State / Clemson in terms of championships over that period, with Clemson obviously having much more recent success.

Last edited:
If FOX finds a streaming partner, they could make a major play for the expanded Big XII rights. I'm curious if Google and/or Netflix will want to get into the game. A big problem is getting more young sports viewers. Kids watch plenty of YouTube. Netflix is the biggest name in streaming but as they get more streaming competition, they may want to get live broadcasts.

ESPN/ABC is going to fuck around and only have the rights to the SEC, ACC, and some G5 conferences.

Probably. You'd think they wouldn't sell the RSN package and just keep those games instead.

I don't get the condescension towards BIG fans loyally following crappy football. Wake fans have done so for most of our lives. Isn't that the basis of fanship - that you stick with your team through thick and thin? And if you're not Alabama there's a lot more thin than thick. Color me confused.

Unless this is a "country/middle America folk are rubes" commentary, which would be pretty on brand for a lot of posters here.

Wake fans have been loyal to a crappy program in hopes that it gets better. Big Ten fans are loyal to crappy football and think it’s good because they have a lot of viewers.

Big difference.

Your last bit shows you’re searching for a political victimhood angle where none exists.

Just hypothesizing about classist tendencies I've witnessed in relation to deriding fans of big state schools, nothing political.

Just hypothesizing about classist tendencies I've witnessed in relation to deriding fans of big state schools, nothing political.
You’re right. Folks trash the big 10 on here and build up the checks notes southeastern conference because of classism.

Last edited:
Yeah nothing like talking up a conference with two schools in Mississippi and Alabama, what elitists.

Kennesaw State to Conference USA in 2024 to transition to FBS.

Big 10 making moves to ensure the Pac-12's collapse. Trying to get Amazon to up the rights fee ante if the Big 10 adds Washington, Oregon, Cal and Stanford. In addition to the rights fee issue, for all other USC and UCLA sports to survive, they need other West Coast teams in the conference. UCLA soccer can't remain viable playing teams only in the Eastern and Central time zone.

If that happens, Arizona, AZ State, Utah and Colorado would likely head to the Big 12. Oregon State and Washington State would be left out (probably to the Mountain West; sucks for them; like the Beavers). Interesting angle is that ESPN and FOX oppose further expansion because of "cost certainty" concerns, which means that its in ESPN strong interest to keep the ACC as a viable college football alternative. Also, it would seem like such move means that the Big 10 has given up, at least in the short term, on adding Notre Dame.

Here's the article: Pac 12 Collapse Looms

God, I hate the Big 10. They play crappy football. Yet, because they have mindless fanbases that will watch tedious plodding 10-7 games, they have destroyed the Pac 12. For all of the money that Big 10 generates, they really have some awful football programs.
Alas! Poor "Alliance!" We knew him (not very) well.

Back