• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Watching my team either get destroyed by the top dogs in the conference like Georgia and Alabama or play schools I have never cared about before like Missouri and Kentucky: I like this as a fan
I guess I can look forward to some satisfaction in seeing the Clemsons and FSUs of the world max out with an 8-4 season and see VaTech and State struggle to reach 5 wins in their best years. I know "doesn't matter, got paid" but that stuff doesn't make it to the fanbase.

So many teams are just as delusional as their fan bases. Like they already get their shit pushed in by the top dogs so the solution is to play the top dogs more frequently because that would certainly turn out differently. Like Tennessee has had the same amount of money and in the last 5 years is 34-27, and in their incredible one off season last year still got beatdown by…. South Carolina of all teams while once again losing to GA. When you can lose to Alabama every year by an average of 28 points you have to do it!

I guess I can look forward to some satisfaction in seeing the Clemsons and FSUs of the world max out with an 8-4 season and see VaTech and State struggle to reach 5 wins in their best years. I know "doesn't matter, got paid" but that stuff doesn't make it to the fanbase.
Agreed. What fan bases want to see most of all are wins on the field and on the court. The rest is so much noise and/or off the radar stuff. Most likely even u*NC fans would rather see a 10-2 record with wins over teams like Wake, Duke, NC State, East Carolina and Appalachian etc. than a 5-7 record with losses to Alabama, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, ATM etc.

ADs and coaches want more money so they don't have to be efficient in use of resources.

ADs also use the idea of more money equals better results to gas light their fan bases. Like FSU and the likes shitty records over the years isn’t their fault, it’s not the shitty coaches that you hire and fire in a year, it’s not the bad allocation of current resources, it’s if they just had as much money as everyone else they would be top dogs again despite the College football landscape looking nothing like it use to. If they ever get the money then their bullshit excuse cover will be gone. Maybe be able to limp along using the adjusting to the conference to buy a year or two. Then shit canned and it’s someone else’s problem.

Not sure how many examples people need to confirm that money alone doesn't result in success. In college football A&M overpaid for Jimbo, over-paid for NIL and had one of the most disappointing seasons in college sports. In college basketball, Kentucky pays Calipari the most, offers essentially limitless NIL deals and the Cats haven't been to the Final 4 since 2015. Instead, Florida Atlantic and SD State go.

In pro sports, how are Steve Cohen's limitless pockets working for them? How has Jerry Jones' massive spending worked out for them?

Even at a huge financial disadvantage, the best run and smartest programs and teams succeed. Poorly run rich franchise fail.

Until a crap program, like Mississippi State or Illinois actually accomplish something because of ALL THE MONEY available to those bloated conferences, don't think the money is the difference maker. The best programs (Bama, UGA) win. That will never change. Have no concerns about WF's ability to keep up with the similarly situated programs in the SEC or Big 10 as long as we have our current leadership in place.

Last edited:
Not sure how many examples to confirm that money alone doesn't result in success. In college football A&M overpaid for Jimbo, over-paid for NIL and had one of the most disappointing seasons in college sports. In college basketball, Kentucky pays Calipari the most, offers essentially limitless NIL deals and the Cats haven't been to the Final 4 since 2015. Instead, Florida Atlantic and SD State go.

In pro sports, how are Steve Cohen's limitless pockets working for them? How has Jerry Jones' massive spending worked out for them?

Even at a huge financial disadvantage, the best run and smartest programs and teams succeed. Poorly run rich franchise fail.

Until a crap program, like Mississippi State or Illinois actually accomplish something because of ALL THE MONEY available to those bloated conferences, don't think the money is the difference maker. The best programs (Bama, UGA) win. That will never change. Have no concerns about WF's ability to keep up with the similarly situated programs in the SEC or Big 10 as long as we have our current leadership in place.
Awesome post! I for one am ready for it to happen, let them all go. It hasn't been the real ACC in many years. Let us become a G5 in football I'm more than fine with that. Join the Big East in basketball. Screw this league.

If you're arguing that only winning championships in football and maybe basketball is what matters, then I definitely hear you.

But, I'm pretty sure Vanderbilt wouldn't be winning the CWS without some SEC money and the SEC dominates that sport. They also arguably dominate sports like track and field and gymnastics. They're not into soccer or hockey yet and they do pretty well in women's basketball too. All of that flows from the football money and it's about to multiply.

If you're arguing that only winning championships in football and maybe basketball is what matters, then I definitely hear you.
sports are entertainment. I want to watch and go to games and have fun and see us win more often than not. I don't need a championship to hang out with friends at a tailgate and have fun watching a game.

The real championships are the friends and experiences we had along the way.

Yeah, it's so much fun going to the Wake v UNC-CH football game two years in a row and watching us lose.

Also, more winning = more people = more potential friends.

Not sure how many examples to confirm that money alone doesn't result in success. In college football A&M overpaid for Jimbo, over-paid for NIL and had one of the most disappointing seasons in college sports. In college basketball, Kentucky pays Calipari the most, offers essentially limitless NIL deals and the Cats haven't been to the Final 4 since 2015. Instead, Florida Atlantic and SD State go.

Mississippi St has been to 13 straight bowl games. they must be a good program based on what i am reading on here. That's the definition of success right ?

It makes me laugh that FSU and Miami think that the reason they aren't competitive because they don't have SEC money. They ran their programs into the ground by hiring shitty coaches and put a shit program on the filed for 10 years.

I also don't quite understand how NIL will align with TV contracts. Are the most marketable athletes going to give a shit about the facilities at a school or the number of zero's they get from NIL? Do players care if the coach makes $10,000,000 or if they get their money?

sports are entertainment. I want to watch and go to games and have fun and see us win more often than not. I don't need a championship to hang out with friends at a tailgate and have fun watching a game.

The real championships are the friends and experiences we had along the way.

{Dave Odom nodding approval solemnly}

Back