• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

They did it for tax incentives to save themselves and the conference money, and to get nicer offices that don't overlook I-85, a horse farm, and a third rate golf course.

They did it for tax incentives to save themselves and the conference money, and to get nicer offices that don't overlook I-85, a horse farm, and a third rate golf course.
what kinda luxury digs does the SEC have in Iron City?

I was a finalist for a job at the NC Realtors Assoc. or whatever which has its offices next door to the ACC's in Greensboro

I don't know much about the SEC's offices other than they're in Birmingham, Greg Sankey is a badass, and I can't see them from I-85.

Feel free to do the research yourself.

I had a conference near the SEC offices last year.

It’s right across from UAB’s new stadium. I took a picture of Sankey’s parking space.

Big Ten (B1G) is headquartered in Rosemont IL, which has only one main interstate, I-90, but also has two sub-interstates, I-294 and I-190. So, we are getting a pretty clear picture that the more interstates close to your headquarters the more TV Football $$$.

Greg Sankey's academic bio:

He earned his associate's degree from Cayuga Community College (in New York) and an undergraduate degree in education from the State University of New York at Cortland in 1987.[5][7] While working as the director of intramural sports at Utica College, he earned his master's degree in education from Syracuse University's School of Education in 1993.

So, the SEC needs a product of the SUNY academic system and Cuse to run their mega conference. Guess there is no better background to running the SEC than running the intramural programs at a D3 School.

Maybe the SEC can use all of that football money to ramp up their academic programs to find one of their own to run the conference.... probably not.

What a weird elitist post from Pilch.

Keep reading. It seems like a reasonable career path:

Sankey began his career as the director of intramural sports at Utica College.[9] After completing a one-year internship at athletic department of Northwestern State University in Natchitoches, Louisiana, Sankey was hired as the compliance director there. He also coached the university’s golf teams for two years and worked there until 1992.[10][11]

Sankey joined the Southland Conference in 1992, continuing work on compliance issues, ultimately becoming commissioner in 1996.[12]

In 2002, when the SEC was having compliance issues, then-commissioner Mike Slive hired Sankey as an associate commissioner. When Slive retired in 2015, Sankey was named the league's eighth commissioner.[11][12] During his tenure as commissioner, the SEC has become a bigger and financially stronger conference.[13]

Not elitist at all. Loving that a product from the SUNY college system and Cuse is the biggest badass in the powerful SEC. Greatness is everywhere. SEC people have a hard time accepting that.

Back