• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I mean I guess we've had plenty of Tide fans happily voting for an Auburn coach for senator

Florida State is a better program than Michigan, let alone Penn State
FSU hasn’t had football in quite some time. They closed well last year AFTER we beat them for at least the 3rd year in a row. They are ‘supposed’ to be our best football team this season because of that. We shall see if somebody will finally overtake Clemson in this one-team conference.

FSU hasn’t had football in quite some time. They closed well last year AFTER we beat them for at least the 3rd year in a row. They are ‘supposed’ to be our best football team this season because of that. We shall see if somebody will finally overtake Clemson in this one-team conference.
Is the SEC a one-team conferences?

UGA has not lost a division game since the COVID season in 2020. 16 straight wins against division opponents. UGA has won 19 of its last 20 games against SEC opponents, and has a current 9 game winning streak against SEC foes. Talk trash about one-team conference when someone starts beating UGA. PItt won the ACC in 2021. WF won the ACC Atlantic 2021.

Then, TN threw up on itself. So, now, we are relying on October rankings to support our conference?

FSU will be ranked outrageously highly this season. It won't matter until the season is over.

BTW, when did Windy become an SEC fan boy? Amazing how much time is spent here by SEC sycophants defending the poor little SEC on a WF message board.

Is there just no compelling banter on SEC boards these days?

I'm not an SEC fan boy. I just think it's overall a better conference in football than the ACC. hardly a controversial or fan boy opinion.

I just see no reason to waive ACC Pom Poms. I doubt you'd find a neutral observer who would disagree with my supposed "fan boy" take

I'm not an SEC fan boy. I just think it's overall a better conference in football than the ACC. hardly a controversial or fan boy opinion
Not sure anyone has claimed the ACC is a better football conference ever. No one is that stupid. Even on a message board.

In response to Reff labeling the ACC a one-team football conference -- on a WF message board, when WF finished ahead of Clemson in the Atlantic one season ago; merely pointed out that UGA has dominated the SEC in recent seasons to a greater extent that Clemson has the ACC which is true.

Is this not a WF Sports message board? Just weird how so many "WF fans" insist on being dismissive of WF sports. No problem if that is your stance, but just an odd psychology to feel the need to bring it here everyday. It's not like those that post here are claiming WF is a top 10 football program. If anything, the mantra of this Board is that WF will find a way to come up short. Apparently, that is not enough; some insist that everyone bow-down to the SEC.

Last edited:
I'm not an SEC fan boy. I just think it's overall a better conference in football than the ACC. hardly a controversial or fan boy opinion.

I just see no reason to waive ACC Pom Poms. I doubt you'd find a neutral observer who would disagree with my supposed "fan boy" take

Wait, is someone arguing that the ACC is better at football than the SEC? I've seen some wild takes on the World Wide Web, but that would rank right up there.

ETA: OK. so it's a one-team conference thing? Still no. But incrementally less crazy.

5/19 Tallahassee Democrat columnist on the ACC Amelia Island meetings:

FSU's future in ACC remains unsettled following 'unified' spring meetings in Amelia Island

Winning your way to more money sounds reasonable, but trickle-down economics can still sink sports.

How about a game of charades?

Despite the call of unity and honest exchanges during the three-day ACC spring meetings earlier this week in Amelia Island, why does it still feel as if ACC membership – specifically Florida State, Clemson and Miami – is smiling just for show?

OK, let’s give the conference the benefit of doubt.

The 14-team membership appears to be temporarily unified during this turbulent time nationally. This proud conference, under talented Commissioner Jim Phillips, is trying its best to navigate roaring instability. Despite the backdrop, the ACC has celebrated 12 NCAA team championships since the start of the 2021-22 academic year.

Still, FSU leadership must continue to be proactive as it studies its next move.

Seminoles Athletics Director Michael Alford has worked tirelessly behind the scenes and is a voice of reason in front of ACC and national media cameras. FSU hasn’t always had a powerful presence at the head table during conference meetings, one willing to kick chairs when needed.

This is a high-stakes game that will determine the Seminoles’ future, specifically where the athletics program stands financially among its peers in the SEC and Big Ten.

This is the harsh reality.

No matter how the ACC plans to handle revenue sharing, it won’t be the solution. Any tweaks will never eliminate the massive gap between the cash the SEC and Big Ten will soon deposit and what ACC schools continue to receive.

One positive is any changes will offer some budget relief for top programs such as FSU.

The financial bump received from potential “success initiatives," such as making the College Football Playoffs or NCAA men’s basketball tournament, could add more than $10 million in revenue annually. (At an FSU Board of Trustees meeting earlier this year, Alford said ACC schools received a total payout of about $42 million this past year).

Yet “success initiatives” also place tremendous pressure on those two FSU sports to be successful and Alford to be near-perfect with his budgetary decisions.

Especially when FSU athletics features Tier I teams across men and women that contend for conference and national titles. Not every ACC program can boast that overall excellence.

Winning your way to more money sounds reasonable, but trickle-down economics can still sink sports.

Can you see Alford having to look softball coach Lonni Alameda in the eye?

And telling her he can’t invest as much financially in a program that won a national title in 2018 and this season qualified for its 23rd consecutive NCAA Tournament because FSU failed to receive a bump in revenue when football and men’s basketball missed the postseason?

Alford was complimentary of Phillips’ leadership and said publicly this week’s meetings were the “most productive, transparent that I’ve been part of.”

Yet my bet is Alford has been extremely aggressive to make sure FSU’s interests are protected.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Alford recruited “The Magnificent Seven” – FSU, Clemson, Miami, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia and Virginia Tech – that have discussed potential exit strategies from the league.

And based on his previous comments and stances, I would be surprised if Alford even considered signing a unity letter that ACC leadership wanted the athletic directors to release, as reported by Pat Forde of Sports Illustrated, following a contentious opening-day to the spring meetings.

One can’t argue facts.

Waving the celebratory flag that "we have third-best media agreement right now” among the Power 5 conferences looks shallow. Television partner ESPN must get creative to help find additional value that will benefit conference members.

There's urgency at every turn to figure out these issues.

While athletic directors have forged the path, at least 10 conference presidents −including FSU's Richard McCullough −must approve the implementation of "success initiatives."

As reported by veteran ACC writer David Teel, McCullough was part of a presidential subcommittee that met virtually Tuesday to discuss the plan. The subcommittee is chaired by Virginia’s Jim Ryan and also includes Virginia Tech’s Tim Sands, Syracuse’s Kent Syverud, Clemson’s Jim Clements, Wake Forest’s Susan Wente.

Money is currently distributed equally among ACC member schools regardless of individual program success, value or size.

And even though Phillips tried to remind his membership that revenue isn’t everything when it comes to competitive excellence – and Alford said Tuesday “we’re very thrilled about being in this league” - it feels like a game of charades.

The Seminole Nation should remain concerned about FSU’s chances to continue to compete nationally given the ACC’s revenue gap. Under the Big Ten's new television contract, for example, the per-school payouts could reach $70 million or more in 2024.

And given FSU’s powerful national brand, watching your rivals and peers in the SEC and Big 10 stockpile extra millions of cash every few years must be difficult for the university to accept.

Not sure anyone has claimed the ACC is a better football conference ever. No one is that stupid. Even on a message board.

In response to Reff labeling the ACC a one-team football conference -- on a WF message board, when WF finished ahead of Clemson in the Atlantic one season ago; merely pointed out that UGA has dominated the SEC in recent seasons to a greater extent that Clemson has the ACC which is true.

Is this not a WF Sports message board? Just weird how so many "WF fans" insist on being dismissive of WF sports. No problem if that is your stance, but just an odd psychology to feel the need to bring it here everyday. It's not like those that post here are claiming WF is a top 10 football program. If anything, the mantra of this Board is that WF will find a way to come up short. Apparently, that is not enough; some insist that everyone bow-down to the SEC.
Being dismissive or telling the truth about ACC football when it is Clemson which has won 7 of past 8 and made only CFP appearance for ACC in years. SEC in that span has had 5 Bama, 2 UGa & 1 LSU. (along with countless CFP appearances every year and maybe 2 in several years)

So yes, bow down to SEC football as by most any metric it is the best year after year.

Being dismissive or telling the truth about ACC football when it is Clemson which has won 7 of past 8 and made only CFP appearance for ACC in years. SEC in that span has had 5 Bama, 2 UGa & 1 LSU. (along with countless CFP appearances every year and maybe 2 in several years)

So yes, bow down to SEC football as by most any metric it is the best year after year.
Sure, all other conferences should make like the other 80% of the SEC and bow down to the top 3 teams.

What is the number of South Carolina appearances? BTW, UGA has 3.

Since 2015, Bama has won 3 titles, Clemson, UGA have won 2 and LSU 1. None of the other 126 FBS teams have won any. None of those other 126 FBS teams from Wake Forest to UNC to S. Carolina to Missouri to App State to Kent State really has a claim to the success that any of those other four programs have had.

Winning titles means next to nothing. As others have said ad nauseum it's eyeballs. Per team, B2G have more eyeballs than anyone else. About 6,000,000 living alumni. Penn State and Indiana - 600,000, Michigan and Michigan St. - 550,000, Ohio State 500,000, the numbers are huge. I don't think anyone in the ACC other than FSU is over 300,000.

Essentially we are all to bow to the ACC overlords and and if you say something in support of the SEC or Big Ten than you are an idiot fan boy and why are you on a WF message board.

That’s pretty much the gist

Back