• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

So us, BC, Lville and Cuse are neither part of the "Magnificent 7 or being "vetted" by the B10. Football is the obvious driver, but given the success of Wake football and other programs, you have to think that the demise of our bb program is a reason we apparently aren't even in the conversation anywhere for a landing spot should the ACC fold. And if there is a mass exodus, the few ACC schools left should push every legal avenue to make sure the defectors pay up on their grant of rights forfeitures and the $$ is split between those schools who are left.
ACC did the same vetting process way back in the day when we first added FSU. Then Cuse, Miami and others of course (and left UConn out). But if any of these down the road want to add #17++, they really have to add big $$$ to the pie since it has to be split so many ways. Not many OK, Texas, USC or UCLA’s left out there.

Would say the SEC boot a Vanderbilt or would they opt to retain the current teams? I think in sports we are on par with a number of their teams but clearly ahead of them.

1. The SEC is not going to boot Vanderbilt.
2. The SEC is not going to boot Vanderbilt for Wake Forest.

I didn’t mean boot VU for Wake, but for a better team

If we can’t get considered for any expanding conference how are they solid? Baseball only gets you so far.

I didn’t mean boot VU for Wake, but for a better team

If we can’t get considered for any expanding conference how are they solid? Baseball only gets you so far.

Because they are already in the SEC. No big conference that is looking to expand is wanting to add Vanderbilt. But they don’t care because they are already in one of the big 2

ACC did the same vetting process way back in the day when we first added FSU. Then Cuse, Miami and others of course (and left UConn out). But if any of these down the road want to add #17++, they really have to add big $$$ to the pie since it has to be split so many ways. Not many OK, Texas, USC or UCLA’s left out there.
This is the big key.... Yes the big 12 could add UConn, Arizona, and Colorado but if they're not bringing extra value to their league than what's already being divided up per team, then it's actually hurting them in the long run.

Apparently the ACC talked about expansion this year but no one fit the ability to raise that piece of the pie per team. ND would and probably Oregon but that's about it from "available" schools

according to wiki Duke has ~16K students between undergrad and graduate. Wake has ~8K.

Duke isn’t tiny, Duke has a nationally recognized rivalry, and Duke has a bunch of national championships in basketball. If WF had replicated the 1990’s over the past 10 years in hoop, WF still would not be 0.0001% better off in terms of conference expansion.

ND's AD Jack Swarbrick is leaving his job after the upcoming academic year.

Bevacqua, who graduated from Notre Dame in 1993, became the third chairman in NBC Sports' history in 2020 after serving as president the previous two years. He also spent six years as the CEO of the PGA of America.

Last year, Bevacqua helped complete the new seven-year television deal between NBC and the Big Ten.

"This is an unbelievable honor for me and a dream come true," Bevacqua said. "With the exception of my family, nothing means more to me than the University of Notre Dame. As a Notre Dame alum, I have a keen understanding and deep appreciation of the lifetime, transformational benefit our student-athletes receive in a Notre Dame education, one that is unique and unlike any other institution in the world."

Back