• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

just go full minor leagues, stop requiring classes or admissions testing

if a kid wants to go to class and that's a selling point then great

this is less preferred than just forcing the NFL (and to a lesser extent NBA and MLB) from properly funding their developmental leagues, but better than this academic athlete farce

"Student Athlete" no longer applies and should never be uttered again.

Sounds like the Big XII is still looking around and ESPN is ready for this nonsense to come to a halt.

I know everyone would be excited for the ACC to add two elite swimming programs.
And the Director’s Cup winner last year and almost every year showing overall athletic excellence!

I was curious so I looked this up

Big ten national championships in the 4 major college sports since year 2000
football- 2 Ohio State in 2002 and 2014
basketball- 1 Michigan state in 2000
women's basketball-0
baseball- 0. (have not won since 1966)

ACC national championships since 2000
football- 3 (not counting Miami who won before they were in ACC)
basketball-8 (not counting Louisville and Syracuse who won before they were ACC members)
women's basketball- 1 ( Maryland in 2006 so it counts for ACC)
baseball-1. (virginia)

So that's a grand total of 3 for the richest conference in the country and 13 for the ACC. SEC has 32 btw.

All Coasts Conference

you don't think that 2 of the 4 major schools in California would move the needle and give ESPN more California coverage and late night options?
Exactly. All about numbers of TV viewers available. It wasn’t about how good Rutgers & MD were going to be in athletics. It was how many viewers they had that moved the needle.

The ACC was proactive in expansion. The ACC destroyed the football Big East. The ACC added the top remaining football programs in the South while the SEC expanded west. The ACC made ND a permanent OOC fixture.
Yet still is a Clemson only football conference.
Destroying the Big East did what for us? Gave us BC, Syracuse & Pitt football which have done nothing. (basketball either). Meanwhile the SEC continues to roll in football and baseball.

Last edited:
Yet still is a Clemson only football conference.
Destroying the Big East did what fir us? Gave us BC, Syracuse & Pitt football which have done nothing. (basketball either). Meanwhile the SEC continues to roll in football and baseball.
Expansion didn't do much for the SEC either. None of the SEC expansion teams have an SEC title.

Get Stanford and Cal ( or Rice or SMU) and then go all in on how this is the only league in the country that plays big time sports and takes academics seriously. Come right out and say the SEC and Big Ten players don't go to class and don't get degrees (who cares if its true). The ACC is the only sports conference that does the right thing with academics, blah blah...just make that be the marketing plan for the next decade. There is a a lane for that- especially now that realignment has made a joke of the student athlete concept, but be the one place still left that has the premier schools playing at the highest level of sport. The ACC is going to have to be different somehow....
Big Ten is all about academics mind you. New acquirees UCLA, USC, Wash & Oregon are all members of the AAU (leaving only Nebraska on the outside I believe for the entire conference)

Expansion didn't do much for the SEC either. None of the SEC expansion teams have an SEC title.
I like their latest two though, better than what all the latest flurry have done because I think Texas & OK add huge ratings. Plus they add in sports besides just football. The only school we could add with that much firepower is ND for football and there is no chance at all of that.

Big Ten is all about academics mind you. New acquirees UCLA, USC, Wash & Oregon are all members of the AAU (leaving only Nebraska on the outside I believe for the entire conference)
some of the dumbest mother fuckers I know go to Wisconsin, Indiana, Maryland. #unimpressed

some of the dumbest mother fuckers I know go to Wisconsin, Indiana, Maryland. #unimpressed
Doesn’t take away the fact that the schools are one of 69 in the U.S. to be AAU schools.
btw, Wake is not.

I like their latest two though, better than what all the latest flurry have done because I think Texas & OK add huge ratings. Plus they add in sports besides just football. The only school we could add with that much firepower is ND for football and there is no chance at all of that.
They add ratings, I don't think they'll combine for more than 3 10+ win seasons in the next 10 years.

Texas has had one 10 win season since 2009.

The ACC was proactive in expansion. The ACC destroyed the football Big East. The ACC added the top remaining football programs in the South while the SEC expanded west. The ACC made ND a permanent OOC fixture.
Yep. And Donald Ross went to NY to get the Big East lawsuit vs the ACC dismissed for lack of jurisdiction.

This is all basically true, but not the fault of college football. College basketball is dying due to roster instability, imo. The best players on any team are on campus for 9 months before going pro or transferring.
Roster instability saved the WF program though.

Seems correct to me. On one level it might seem counterintuitive since Stanford and Cal basically just got jilted at the altar and have no conference home but I feel like the ACC might need Stanford more than Stanford needs the ACC right now.
I think that's backwards, I think we are providing a home. I assume they will be an associate member in football but full participant in Olympic sports.

ND is committed to ACC over any other conference, and has some buyout. I assume Stanford would have similar clauses. Probably not so punitive since we don't really need them. Probably doesn't have to be 13 years. Maybe 7? If they have escape rights we should have put rights (especially if Stanford leaves, we can put Cal out right behind them)...

Adding Stanford and Cal seems desperate and it makes little sense in the context of securing a better future TV deal for football - it would only be done to show that the ACC is trying to ensure survival. And if that opens up the GOR by taking them, the ACC is toast, IMHO.
They will not open the GOR!

Get Stanford and Cal ( or Rice or SMU) and then go all in on how this is the only league in the country that plays big time sports and takes academics seriously. Come right out and say the SEC and Big Ten players don't go to class and don't get degrees (who cares if its true). The ACC is the only sports conference that does the right thing with academics, blah blah...just make that be the marketing plan for the next decade. There is a a lane for that- especially now that realignment has made a joke of the student athlete concept, but be the one place still left that has the premier schools playing at the highest level of sport. The ACC is going to have to be different somehow....
Totally agree. If we lose FSU and Clemson, we are going to need to reset our identity, and seeking a balance of academics and sanity while being competitive and in the hunt most of some years is a credible goal. Do we want that or App St and ECU and JMU?

I don't know. But Cal and Stanford buy us an option on creating a modern P4(b) "Magnolia League"

If UNC and UVA leave, that would be a gutting...

Back