• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I think that's backwards, I think we are providing a home. I assume they will be an associate member in football but full participant in Olympic sports.

ND is committed to ACC over any other conference, and has some buyout. I assume Stanford would have similar clauses. Probably not so punitive since we don't really need them. Probably doesn't have to be 13 years. Maybe 7? If they have escape rights we should have put rights (especially if Stanford leaves, we can put Cal out right behind them)...

Olympic sports have the most travel issues.

just go full minor leagues, stop requiring classes or admissions testing

if a kid wants to go to class and that's a selling point then great

this is less preferred than just forcing the NFL (and to a lesser extent NBA and MLB) from properly funding their developmental leagues, but better than this academic athlete farce
I posted on this earlier: give the player the choice of actually receiving a free education, or take the value of the academic scholarship and be a fulltime, professional college athlete. So a Wake guy would get $60K or so a year to not be a student; a Hole $10K or so.

I think the odds are high that Stanford still ends up in the B10. They're just too wealthy and powerful a brand. They may not bring eyeballs but they bring a lot of influence. Could the B10 add them and Notre Dame in the future, especially if for some reason ND's new NBC contract isn't as rich as they'd wanted? It would suck to bring in Stanford only to have them bolt for greener pastures after a few years.

The ACC is one better, in that they have 5 teams in the past 7.
Not to mention with LESS teams added to the dance. There is a media/committee bias against ACC of late. We are constantly getting 2-3 less teams than other power 5. I guess with Pac-12 gone we might get 1 more now.

Not to mention with LESS teams added to the dance. There is a media/committee bias against ACC of late. We are constantly getting 2-3 less teams than other power 5. I guess with Pac-12 gone we might get 1 more now.
Every year the national media shits on the ACC all season (including on our own network) and then come tourney time they all act shocked when the conference does well.

Media talking heads still counting on f$u breaking the GOR and bolting to.... the AAC?! There's literally no where for them to go, correct?

How do they propose that the GOR is to be broken? Sounds like they're raising the $120M, but they still have the 13 year media rights issue.

Doesn’t take away the fact that the schools are one of 69 in the U.S. to be AAU schools.
btw, Wake is not.
Should we be asking why not? Should President Wente work towards this and does Wake have the profile to make it a legitimate candidate? From wikipedia, "The association ranks its members using four criteria: research spending, the percentage of faculty who are members of the National Academies, faculty awards, and citations. Non-member universities whose research and education profile exceeds that of a number of current members may be invited to join the association...."

If we check enough boxes, why not angle for an invitation? Not only would it be a nice feather in the University's cap from an academic reputation standpoint, it could provide a hedge down the road if the ACC dissolves. It probably takes time to gain membership, so why not pursue it now?

Wake is a Research 2 university. They'd need to get to Research 1 first before even getting on the AAU radar.

AAU status is a worthy and achievable goal. In terms of overall prestige, Wake is more like the private schools on the AAU list than the R2 list. But that change would require a shift to supporting more faculty research and away from an undergrad focus.

Should we be asking why not? Should President Wente work towards this and does Wake have the profile to make it a legitimate candidate? From wikipedia, "The association ranks its members using four criteria: research spending, the percentage of faculty who are members of the National Academies, faculty awards, and citations. Non-member universities whose research and education profile exceeds that of a number of current members may be invited to join the association...."

If we check enough boxes, why not angle for an invitation? Not only would it be a nice feather in the University's cap from an academic reputation standpoint, it could provide a hedge down the road if the ACC dissolves. It probably takes time to gain membership, so why not pursue it now?
Wake is not considered a "research university." I'm not sure how to go about becoming one without enlarging enrollment, adding programs, and grant hunting.

The academic types on here have told us that Wake's not likely to ever be in the AAU. WF emphasizes teaching quality over research.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wake eventually sets that as a goal. It's a long-term goal that would require a shift in the culture of the university. That shift would place Wake in a group with peer and aspirational peer institutions rather than regional private universities Wake left back in the 90s.

All this conference "realignment" is crap. So, the Big 10/18 is going to stretch from one coast to the other and if the ACC adds Stanford and/or Cal it will too. With the transfer portal, NIL and now all this, college sports is being ruined as far as I'm concerned.

so since my only college experience is at MSD, I have a very basic, probably dumb question. From what I've heard, at a lot of universities you're getting TAs lecturing vs professors? But at Wake they prefer to have professors do the teaching and thus not doing research therefore we wouldn't be part of AAU?

Back