• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

giphy.gif
I don’t drink but keep it up 👍

probably too small time, and probably way too big a risk, but if they need a 4th school to make numbers even after Stanford/Cal/SMU (assuming FSU stays), I wouldn't hate taking a Big East school that's interested in transitioning to FBS

Villanova could be an interesting take; they've already looked at transitioning back to FBS before and they have recent FCS success

I guess UConn would probably be more obvious but meh

So if the rumor of the ACC extending bids to Stanford and Cal are true what name does the Atlantic Coast Conference then take should they join. The Coastal But Venturing into Kentucky and Indiana Conference? CBVIKAIC?

I hope you didn't spend long on that one.

It may not matter where but “where” is how to get growth. Who else could they pick up to grow viewership?

If they had Stanford, that shouldn’t count as one of ND’s games especially if they want to play annually.
there are no “regions” or “markets” as it relates to app subscribership or national attention. That’s why the 3rd most popular football program in Texas is more valuable than the flagship university of Virginia and it’s why Oregon football is more valuable than Stanford or Cal football, even while the San Francisco metro area alone has 3/4 the population of the entire state of Oregon.

probably too small time, and probably way too big a risk, but if they need a 4th school to make numbers even after Stanford/Cal/SMU (assuming FSU stays), I wouldn't hate taking a Big East school that's interested in transitioning to FBS

Villanova could be an interesting take; they've already looked at transitioning back to FBS before and they have recent FCS success

I guess UConn would probably be more obvious but meh
To me, the move is to take one of the Big 12 schools and remind people that we actually still have a better deal than they do, despite the strength the Big 12 is showing. Hell, take UCF to piss FSU off. WVU is still the obvious one. Kansas also works.

FFS if I have to read one more thing about either TV markets or AAU/academics having any sort of relevance to the big 10…
It’s just humorous to me that people equate AAU with academics. AAU means they pump out research. The professors are good (they are good everywhere these days because the job market is so awful). It doesn’t mean these schools are good for undergrad. It also doesn’t mean even grad degrees from these places mean anything. My field has PhD programs at Wisconsin and Ohio State for instance. I know a whopping total of 0 people who have a job with PhD’s from those schools. So let’s not act like Indiana, Minnesota, etc. are these awesome schools. They have a ton of students. They have a ton of faculty. That means they simply have more people bringing in money for research.

WF law is ranked #22. The university is ranked #29. Biff calling WF law “second tier” deserved a strong response. And he got one. Or two.

FFS if I have to read one more thing about either TV markets or AAU/academics having any sort of relevance to the big 10…
Point taken. Let’s consider it from another angle - the SEC and Big 10 have all but assured themselves survival through college football expansion, so currently they are only looking at whether or not additional members will bring additional value to the conference. So yes, Clemson and FSU would make for compelling football matchups - but at this point, with the conference making so much money already, does the addition of those programs bring in the yearly 60+ million in value to make it worth it? Because that’s where FSU’s leverage is. If the SEC/Big 10 don’t need FSU, then they are stuck with the ACC no matter how much they complain. That’s basically what Stewart Mandel tweeted, right?

Point taken. Let’s consider it from another angle - the SEC and Big 10 have all but assured themselves survival through college football expansion, so currently they are only looking at whether or not additional members will bring additional value to the conference. So yes, Clemson and FSU would make for compelling football matchups - but at this point, with the conference making so much money already, does the addition of those programs bring in the yearly 60+ million in value to make it worth it? Because that’s where FSU’s leverage is. If the SEC/Big 10 don’t need FSU, then they are stuck with the ACC no matter how much they complain.

not your posts, you had it right. This is also right. Unless the sec/big 10 feels compelled to take a hit to their own income to bring in Clemson to weaken or kill ACC football but where things are now I don’t know why they’d bother.

To me, the move is to take one of the Big 12 schools and remind people that we actually still have a better deal than they do, despite the strength the Big 12 is showing. Hell, take UCF to piss FSU off. WVU is still the obvious one. Kansas also works.

exactly this. grab Cal and Stanford. Dont know if these are locked and loaded but see if you can take ASU and Arizona. Then add in Kansas and force ND to be in or out and add a TCU if out. Results would be Big12 is done, we are solid 3rd and protected if other teams leave and gives us a bit of an East/West coast division to help with travel on the non-football sports.

So if the rumor of the ACC extending bids to Stanford and Cal are true what name does the Atlantic Coast Conference then take should they join. The Coastal But Venturing into Kentucky and Indiana Conference? CBVIKAIC?
American Coast Conference

exactly this. grab Cal and Stanford. Dont know if these are locked and loaded but see if you can take ASU and Arizona. Then add in Kansas and force ND to be in or out and add a TCU if out. Results would be Big12 is done, we are solid 3rd and protected if other teams leave and gives us a bit of an East/West coast division to help with travel on the non-football sports.
Good call on ASU and Arizona. I haven’t seen numbers, but the real coup would be getting Oregon and Washington to say “fuck off” to the Big 10 if we could figure out how to get them a little more money.

Back